Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Footage - Genesis Live in Bataclan France

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Not only did Banks play 12-string guitar on Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England, Trick Of The Tail and Duke, he even wrote some of that music on guitar, most notably the opening Lover's Leap section to Supper's Ready. Live gigs in the early days often featured him, Rutherford and Hackett all playing 12-strings on the more gentle acoustic pieces like Happy The Man, Harlequin, Stagnation, etc.
    In the tour with Wilson promoting Calling All Stations, there was also an acoustic bit doing classics with Banks on 12-string.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    This one, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBcz3tBH74
    A bit better quality.
    While understanding limitations on audio etc., per the description, most of the audio is not from that actual performance - unless its just poorly worded. I would prefer improved shitty audio versus substitute audio.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    In the tour with Wilson promoting Calling All Stations, there was also an acoustic bit doing classics with Banks on 12-string.
    Pete Pardo at Sea of Tranquility rated Calling All Stations as the weakest Genesis release. I know the views on this album is mixed but I quite like the album, even though I seldom revisit it. More importantly, I was all ready to attend the shows but they were quickly cancelled. Ray Wilson is an excellent vocalist.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    While understanding limitations on audio etc., per the description, most of the audio is not from that actual performance - unless its just poorly worded. I would prefer improved shitty audio versus substitute audio.

Ha, I didn't notice. I just sampled it briefly and figured I'd watch later when I wasn't supposed to be working. Thanks.

The eons are closing
    Ha, I didn't notice. I just sampled it briefly and figured I'd watch later when I wasn't supposed to be working. Thanks.
    And I do not doubt the massive effort to try and make it appear to be 'together' but still....

No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Genesis French TV 1974 "Melody" has I Know what I Like and Supper's Ready complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXci7Vzj1hQ

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    As I recall ATTWT tour had Tony sitting with 12 string for the opening of Cinema Show..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    As I recall ATTWT tour had Tony sitting with 12 string for the opening of Cinema Show..
    I'm pretty sure there is a picture of Tony playing the 12 string in the inner gatefold of Seconds Out as well.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Pete Pardo at Sea of Tranquility rated Calling All Stations as the weakest Genesis release. I know the views on this album is mixed but I quite like the album, even though I seldom revisit it. More importantly, I was all ready to attend the shows but they were quickly cancelled. Ray Wilson is an excellent vocalist.
    I thought Pete was unfair with that. It is a good album, and I think it might have gotten a lot better had they made another one with Wilson. But money talks, and the cancellation of the tour you wanted to see was the clincher for Banks and Rutherford.

Agree 100% I love the album personally .

IIRC Banks and Rutherford were on 12-string for the beginning of Cinema Show and later on, Ripples.
    Ripples is Rutherford and Hackett on 12 string.

If I remember correctly, Banks played guitar on The Musical Box, Lover's Leap, The Cinema Show, and Entangled. I know he's credited wtih playing guitar on Duke, but I don't know where it occurs. Likewise for Trespass. And I think Lover's Leap was the only time all three of them played 12 string together. Otherwise, it was some combination of two, or just Rutherford.

I think it was Rutherford and Phillips who developed the double 12 string thing. They would come up with these parts where each of them would be playing an arpeggio, but they each be playing a different one, so one of them is playing one thing, and the other is playign something else, and you would put it together, you'd have some pretty complex harmonies, things like minor 13th chords or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, I didn't know that Tony played 12-string guitar, or any guitar for that matter. I really did a double-take when I noticed that. It may be in the earlier version, but I'd forgotten about that.
    Tony's shown playing guitar on the Belgian TV thing (The Musical Box), the Shepperton film (Lover's Leap) and Genesis In Concert (Entangled). You've never watched any of those?!

Well, maybe IDRC.

I remember seeing Tony playing the guitar along with Mike and Daryl when they did "Supper's Ready" in 1982 at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center during the "Three Sides Live Encore" tour.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Someone apparently had fun compiling this unusual version of Supper's Ready :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJe2orI5QyU&t=597s

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Someone apparently had fun compiling this unusual version of Supper's Ready :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJe2orI5QyU&t=597s
    Bill Film is a great channel and well worth subscribing to if you like Genesis, Laurie Anderson, Talking Heads.

Well that was thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you so much for posting it. What a great document of that time.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well that was thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you so much for posting it. What a great document of that time.
    Glad you enjoyed it Scott. I plan on watching it on repeat over the next month or longer.

this footage is amazing but I'm more excited about what this means for restoring other concert videos, particularly for bands not as well documented as Genesis...
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Stunning video quality but the edit of Supper's Ready is sacrilege.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    this footage is amazing but I'm more excited about what this means for restoring other concert videos, particularly for bands not as well documented as Genesis...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but while this may involve some restoration, I could call it a fresh transfer from the masters. It's not like the guy took the existing mediocre VHS transfers and turned them into this. So it all depends on whether one can get access to the original film reels.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Are there any live recordings available? How did Ray shape up live?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Are there any live recordings available? How did Ray shape up live?
    It funny because I saw a VHS recording years ago but haven't seen anything since. Anybody else seen it?

Here it is:

Ray Wilson is an excellent vocalist.
    I agree he's good, but IMO he's best within a certain range. That said, his vocal on RPWL's "Roses" was outstanding.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.