Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: IQ - Dark Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Ever is my favorite. A classic of the genre. Subterranea is too repetitive. I could never understand why people rated it so highly. I believe it came out after Ever and it was a huge letdown for me. I suppose if it was condensed onto 1 CD it might be better. IMHO it's a case of decent material stretched way too far.
    Always a risk on concept albums that there are tracks that exist mainly to advance the plot.

I liked Subterranea a lot on release but it did fade for me over time. There are still plenty of good parts, particularly on Disc 2 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I only wish it also had “Awake and Nervous” as that’s a favorite older IQ track of mine.
    I'm pretty sure they did play it on tour for Ever, as I recall hearing it at Progfest '93, if my memory isn't letting me down.

Well I did play the first disc of Subterranea again and I still feel the same about it really. Too wordy/dense, so the songs don't really breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm pretty sure they did play it on tour for Ever, as I recall hearing it at Progfest '93, if my memory isn't letting me down.
    Interesting... That would make sense, as it seemed to be one of their popular tunes. At least there’s the live BBC sessions take on the Lost Attic album. That’s a good version.

I really enjoyed when they played “It All Stops Here” at the 3RP show in 2009. That’s a fun song.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Interesting... That would make sense, as it seemed to be one of their popular tunes. At least there’s the live BBC sessions take on the Lost Attic album. That’s a good version.

I really enjoyed when they played “It All Stops Here” at the 3RP show in 2009. That’s a fun song.
    They played "Awake and Nervous" in QC in 1998 as well.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iq/19...a-bd4b182.html

Does listening to this band raise or lower your IQ? Mine is already pretty low so I need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Does listening to this band raise or lower your IQ? Mine is already pretty low so I need to know.
    The more you know about IQ, the higher your IQ IQ.
    Regards,

Duncan

I is very IQ-filled. I is a IQ man.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I missed this one being featured. I think it's possibly still my favorite IQ album, though I don't consider myself a huge fan...even though I have all their albums on CD, lol. They just seem like one of the only bands in "neoprog" genre that appeals to me, though not enough to call them a favorite band. This particular album of course has Supper's Ready.....um, I mean, Harvest of Souls, lol on it. Really, it's not a clone of SR, but it certainly follows the same template. I love the lyrics, and the performance at Nearfest was very enjoyable (even if the band seemed like they weren't enjoying themselves at the time). The other tracks are more "typical" IQ, and I think my favorites are the shorter tracks in between the opening track and Harvest, because they seem to be somewhat more original and are not so much like the usual IQ fair. Anyway, a good album that I haven't pulled out in a while, but that I did enjoy for quite a while after it's release.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Well I did play the first disc of Subterranea again and I still feel the same about it really. Too wordy/dense, so the songs don't really breathe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Subterranea is too repetitive. I could never understand why people rated it so highly. I suppose if it was condensed onto 1 CD it might be better. IMHO it's a case of decent material stretched way too far.
    Mirrors my feelings as well. I actually did condense Subterranea to one CD and listened to it that way for a time. It definitely has its moments, as do most IQ albums.

Like I stated before, many of their songs' themes are so similar. It's as if you could mix and match select songs from their last 5 albums and they'd sound like the same narrative.

I was lucky to attend the whole of Subterranea being performed live and it takes the album to the next level. I recommend watching the live DVD first before you spin the actual studio album.

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    I was lucky to attend the whole of Subterranea being performed live and it takes the album to the next level. I recommend watching the live DVD first before you spin the actual studio album.
    I did watch the video and agree it clears away much of the ambiguity. But not all of it, which I suppose isn't a bad thing. I still feel that as a musical piece of work it's not IQ's best. It has its moments but they're sandwiched between too much padding or recycled ideas. IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I love Harvest of Souls. It's such a well-constructed composition. It's a great example of how a 20+ minute prog epic should utilize leitmotifs and reprises of themes without making it super obvious and distracting.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA