Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: IQ - Dark Matter

I'm a pretty serious IQ fan, although more for the early stuff and less for what I consider latter-day derivatives like Subterranea. So I've been skeptical of every album post-Ever, but I felt like Dark Matter was a return to form. And yes, the Genesis influence is weirdly even more naked on "Harvest of Souls" than pretty much anything they've ever done but for some reason I'm OK with it. I feel like there's a whole "wink-and-a-nod" quality to the whole thing, like they're letting us in on the gag. And I like that they were pushing out a little on most of the other songs. Not a huge amount, but for me IQ are one of those "comfort prog" bands. I don't WANT them to mess with the formula too much, but just enough so that I can differentiate albums in my head. And I felt like they delivered that on this one. The only downer for me about DM is that it's Martin's last.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I have just reread my review of this, and I still stand by the five stars I gave it. In my opinion, Harvest of Souls is worth the entrance price alone, it’s scope, emotion, and execution up there with the very best.

My personal IQ favourite was, though, still to come. Road of Bones is an indispensable album, IMO.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I hope you enjoy it. The title track on Seventh House is perhaps my single most favorite IQ song ever.
    Mine too

Wife loves it. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    After Tales... and The Wake it's the 3rd IQ LP still in my collection. I have no particular interest for any other from them.
    Same sentiments here, perhaps would also throw in Ever before DM.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Frequency and Dark Matter are my #1-2 in their catalog. But everything they've done from Ever onward is top-shelf and essential.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Frequency and Dark Matter are my #1-2 in their catalog. But everything they've done from Ever onward is top-shelf and essential.
    I agree with this. Both albums are stunning from beginning to end.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I hope you enjoy it. The title track on Seventh House is perhaps my single most favorite IQ song ever.
    Cool track - I have never heard an entire album by this band. Did I see them at NF?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    I have just reread my review of this, and I still stand by the five stars I gave it. In my opinion, Harvest of Souls is worth the entrance price alone, it’s scope, emotion, and execution up there with the very best.

My personal IQ favourite was, though, still to come. Road of Bones is an indispensable album, IMO.
    It seems like everybody (except Garden Dreamer!) only has room in their heart for one or two IQ albums. Mine is Dark Matter. Yes, "Harvest of Souls" is essentially derivative, but its execution is tremendous. It brings genuine emotions, like the menace of "and they open up another door" and the grand outro. And the iteration of themes is somehow flattering -- unsubtle enough that it's very easy to catch, but interesting enough that you're pleased to have gotten it.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Cool track - I have never heard an entire album by this band. Did I see them at NF?
    I'm glad you liked it!

I think they played NEARFest a couple times, so maybe you did see them. I've only seen them once, at the 3RP festival back in 2009. They put on a good show, and Paul Cook was with them again so that was cool. Ran into John Jowitt a couple times over that weekend, and he is one of the nicest guys ever.

As far as favorite albums, I don't know... If there was a gun to my head, maybe Ever would be my pick.

A few additional random thoughts about the album :
    - one of my first thoughts while hearing the first few songs on DM was "What the hell is he singing about ?" Well, I still haven't figured it out, but it's part of the charm.
    - I like all of "Harvest Of Souls" very much, but I really love the "Mine is a real fine line" part. I seem to remember the music was written by Orford.
    - I can't pick a favourite among IQ albums, but DM is really solid and a fine final statement from Orford in the band (I don't know how far his involvement in Frequency really went).

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    - I like all of "Harvest Of Souls" very much, but I really love the "Mine is a real fine line" part. I seem to remember the music was written by Orford.
    If I was harsh on "Harvest of Souls", I want to stress that I do like the song. And the part you mentioned is probably my favorite section. It does sound like something Orford would have written.

I'm glad you liked it!

I think they played NEARFest a couple times, so maybe you did see them. I've only seen them once, at the 3RP festival back in 2009. They put on a good show, and Paul Cook was with them again so that was cool. Ran into John Jowitt a couple times over that weekend, and he is one of the nicest guys ever.
    They headlined NEARfest in 1995 and 2005. Both fantastic shows.

Ran into John Jowitt a couple times over that weekend, and he is one of the nicest guys ever.
    What is John up to? I was kind of hoping for another album from that collaboration he did a while back... Panda something?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    What is John up to? I was kind of hoping for another album from that collaboration he did a while back... Panda something?
    The Uneasy Listening album, with the "Panda Rosa" track on it? I think that band/project's name was Dirtbox, but I'm not sure...

John is in a band called Rain, along with Andy Edwards (also formerly in IQ). I haven't heard the album yet though.

This and Ever I return to. Basically the only NWOBPR I listen to.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

One of my favorite IQ albums along with Frequency!
    Harvest of Souls is clearly influenced by you-know-which-epic but I enjoy it anyway.
    In a sense, Sacred Sound also looks like Close to the Edge modernized, especially the organ break and the following instrumental workout and I believe IQ made the transition sound less awkward)
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

The Uneasy Listening album, with the "Panda Rosa" track on it? I think that band/project's name was Dirtbox, but I'm not sure...

John is in a band called Rain, along with Andy Edwards (also formerly in IQ). I haven't heard the album yet though.
    Dirtbox -- yes! Thank you. I liked that one. It had John's personality all over it.

I dig it.

I've been a fan of IQ since 1986, so I got to absorb most of their albums as they came out and (hopefully) fully digest them. Imo, this is their 2nd best album, making it a real highlight of their catalog. That it came along so far into their career is a bit surprising to me. I would also rate "Harvest Of Souls" as the high point of the album, and IQ's top epic, shading "The Last Human Gateway" and "The Narrow Margin."

Interestingly, some of the albums listed as favorites by others here, namely The Seventh House and Frequency, are albums that I would put in the lower half of the band's oeuvre. Different ears.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I'm surprised at the love The Seventh House is getting. I have a soft spot for it because it came out just when I was getting into the band but I always heard people dismiss it as a lesser IQ album with Subterranea and Dark Matter getting all the praise.

IMHO The Seventh House is fairly middling other than 'Erosion' and the title track. I returned to that album a few years ago and my views hadn't changed. Actually Subterranea was never a favourite of mine either, although it's admittedly many years since I played that.

My top 3 are probably The Wake, Frequency and The Road Of Bones. Some days I might choose Ever as a substitute. I also love Forever Live, with that killer rendition of The Enemy Smacks. Now that's IQ.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Ever is my favorite. A classic of the genre. Subterranea is too repetitive. I could never understand why people rated it so highly. I believe it came out after Ever and it was a huge letdown for me. I suppose if it was condensed onto 1 CD it might be better. IMHO it's a case of decent material stretched way too far.

I never took to Dark Matter much. I do like Sacred Sound quite a bit, but Harvest of Souls is structured a bit too close to Supper's Ready for me. I used to be a big fan of IQ but this was where they became less interesting for me. Their albums going forward all have a sinister Gothic chill that I can't get into for some reason. They're all remarkably played and well produced but I don't get the emotional high I used to get. I still enjoy most everything up through The Seventh House though.