Thread: New doc on women in Electronic music

New doc on women in Electronic music

I just stumbled across this and it looks really interesting. Sisters With Transistors is a new documentary film bringing electronic music’s unsung women to the fore. Writer and director Lisa Rovner takes us from 1920s theremin virtuoso Clara Rockmore to Louis and Bebe Barron’s score for the 1956 film Forbidden Planet (which wasn’t allowed to be called music) to Delia Derbyshire’s recording of the Doctor Who theme. Sisters With Transistors is Narrated by Laurie Anderson. Apparently it debuted at the American Film Institute Festival last fall and will debut virtually on Metrograph’s website on April 23.

Trailer of the doc:

Interview with the director:

SISTERS WITH TRANSISTORS is the remarkable untold story of electronic music’s female pioneers, composers who embraced machines and their liberating technologies to utterly transform how we produce and listen to music today.

The film maps a new history of electronic music through the visionary women whose radical experimentations with machines redefined the boundaries of music, including Clara Rockmore, Daphne Oram, Bebe Barron, Pauline Oliveros, Delia Derbyshire, Maryanne Amacher, Eliane Radigue, Suzanne Ciani, and Laurie Spiegel.

The history of women has been a history of silence. Music is no exception. As one of the film’s subjects, Laurie Spiegel explains: “We women were especially drawn to electronic music when the possibility of a woman composing was in itself controversial. Electronics let us make music that could be heard by others without having to be taken seriously by the male dominated Establishment.”

With the wider social, political and cultural context of the 20th century as our backdrop, this all archival documentary reveals a unique emancipation struggle, restoring the central role of women in the history of music and society at large.

With Laurie Anderson as our narrator, we’ll embark on a fascinating journey through the evolution of electronic music. We’ll learn how new devices opened music to the entire field of sound, how electronic music not only changed the modes of production but in its wide-ranging effects also transformed the very terms of musical thought.

Sisters with Transistors is more than just the history of a music genre: it's the story of how we hear and the critical but little-known role female pioneers play in that story.

A true pioneer

Must See TV!

I just came across this recently and really loved it:

So yes, this overall documentary about these pioneers sounds fabulous
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Must See TV!
    You betch 'em. I want to see this.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Here's the entire Letterman clip with Suzanne.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

Here's the entire Letterman clip with Suzanne.
    Very cool !

Hmm, women making electronic music, can't say I know of any, or ever heard of any, probably gonna be like a 2 minute documentary..

We just watched "A Life in Waves" a biography on Suzanne Ciani.
    Fantastic! Recommended.
    Tried to watch Sisters With Transistors but not available in US.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Hmm, women making electronic music, can't say I know of any, or ever heard of any, probably gonna be like a 2 minute documentary..
    84 minutes actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Tried to watch Sisters With Transistors but not available in US.
    Very much available in the US....just not for free. Metrograph is streaming it. You join Metrograph for $5 and you can watch this doc and anything else they have. Either way, you can cancel before it renews the next month:

https://metrograph.com/live-screenin...h-transistors/

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Suzanne Ciani
    Wendy Carlos
    Dorothea Raukes
    To name 3 that are in my collection.

Another which can be found on YouTube is Lisa Bella Donna

Last edited by Rarebird; 05-02-2021 at 02:21 PM.

This was aired by Arte last week.

Ruth White was one of my favorites. In the 80s I liked Pauline Anna Strom

Laurie Spiegel! Probably the one musician other than Stevie Wonder that had access to the most rare electronic instruments (she’s the only one I know that ever got her hands on a Buchla Touché and a Hazelcom McLeyvier, for example).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Laurie Spiegel! Probably the one musician other than Stevie Wonder that had access to the most rare electronic instruments (she’s the only one I know that ever got her hands on a Buchla Touché and a Hazelcom McLeyvier, for example).
    Suzanne Ciani also worked with Buchla, though I can't find if she worked with a Touché. It's only mentioned she didn't use a keyboard with it.

I would imagine Delia Derbyshire and Suzanne Ciani would be in there and possibly Wendy Carlos although that could be a controversial one for some people.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I would imagine Delia Derbyshire and Suzanne Ciani would be in there and possibly Wendy Carlos although that could be a controversial one for some people.
    Wendy Carlos really belongs in it. Not controversial at all.

I do hope the “two minute documentary” post was meant as a joke, given the prominence of women in the field. I myself am proud to have studied electronic music with one of the pioneers, Pauline Oliveros. Shout out to my friend Amanda Chaudhary, who runs the CatSynth TV channel on YouTube.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

This evening it will be broadcasted on Canvas (Belgian public television). I'm defenitly going to record it.

There's an entire doc about Suzanne Ciani.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    There's an entire doc about Suzanne Ciani.
    Correct. It was posted in a special thread on synths somewhere over here and called A Life In Waves (released as DVD/BR).

Just watched Sisters with transsistors.
    Very interesting, lots of names that didn't ring a bell and some that were a bit more familiar. Several things with Suzanne Cian and a very small item on Wendy Carlos with an old part with her with sideburns. It was basicly used as something to put against all other females, who were really making new sounds and new music, instead of using synthesizers to recreate old music with news sounds.

The documentary inspired me to look if I could record the knobs on my midi-keyboard, so I could do something with the virtual modular Moog synthesizer by turning knobs instead of playing the keyboard, to create a sound that changed over time, like some did in the program. It looked like it was possible to do something like this with Cubase, so one day I might use this.