Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Progday and Vaccines

I have done a handful of virtual "shows" since the start of the pandemic, mainly to support specific acts who are near/dear to my heart. They were nice, but they were a pale, pale, oh so incredibly pale comparison to the energy of a true live performance.
    A virtual butt crack doesn't have the same ambience either.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    A virtual butt crack doesn't have the same ambience either.
    We're all having a difficult time these days for various reasons.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I definitely miss prog shows/events. I kept my tickets and didn't ask for a refund for my weekend event at Terra Incognita in Quebec City - a big part is the support the festival - I would like the money but I know the organizer will deliver when this fucking long pandemic is over.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What confused me had nothing to do with the tech, it was the ticketing system. You had to buy a certain number of "tokens" or something which were worth a certain amount, then decide which shows you were going to watch, etc. Just sell me friggin' TICKETS or access to the shows I want to see, dammit. It was obviously one of those things which once you do it, you see how it's done, but when it comes to a weekend's worth of performances at different times, and I only would be able to or want to watch certain ones, I would have liked to take care of the "purchasing" at one time and not have to figure out a payment system as the first show I want to watch is beginning. It seemed needlessly complicated.
    The accomodation of real time tipping and ticketing + donations which were unique for each band drove that design. if you didn't tip, then add up each band's amount + donation. Buy tickets one time using PayPal or whatever, then pay for each band. If you were going to tip, you would need to add that in as well, to the one time purchase. You could go back and buy more tickets if you want. Ive been to many other kinds of festivals which work that way, it simplifies cash management when there is a large variation of entertainments. They could have had a ticket package which had everything for the whole evening, with one purchase. I'll ask Progstock if they can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    However, I think it would be interesting to consider a hybrid fest using a rental of a large projection screen plus streaming of international bands. There would also be in-person bands performing (perhaps streaming back to the world). I haven’t considered the cost but international travel of bands is cheap. Just think of how large effectively the fest would be, and if the fest was streamed outward, people would want to visit in the future, even though it could be more people than the capacity of Storybook
    I can understand streaming it for people unable to attend. But I don't think there would be much interest sitting at Storybook Farm in the heat watching a band on the big screen that was playing in another location. That would actually deter me from attending.
    Last edited by mike_hunt; 04-12-2021 at 09:49 PM.

When someone claims that no one has said they would attend a hybrid virtual when in fact, in writing, that’s not true, thats negative.
    Not true, at all. At the time I made that post, no one had mentioned that they would do it. That was not negativity. Now a few have said that they would do a hybrid fest, although many would still seem not be interested in the remote aspect. I support whatever the organizers want to do, and if they choose to go that route and like your idea, that's great. I hope that is not the future of festivals personally, but that is just my opinion and not negativity. I'm moving on and not getting into further debate over this point with you.

Let's all hope that Progday will continue in some format.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    I can understand streaming it for people unable to attend. But I don't think there would be much interest sitting at Storybook Farm in the heat watching a band on the big screen that was playing in another location. That would actually deter me from attending.
    Setting up some kind of big screen thing at Storybook Farm that could actually be seen during bright sunlight would probably cost more than the entire current budget for the festival. I don't see it as realistic at all.

Regarding virtual festivals or streaming I watched quite a few of the virtual shows last year and it was cool to have the chat room to get that "community" feel to an extent, but I would much much rather be on the farm.

BTW, I have had quite a few people contacting me privately regarding ProgDay status and I have no information for 2021. I have not communicated with Michael in a while and am not aware of any activity happening.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Setting up some kind of big screen thing at Storybook Farm that could actually be seen during bright sunlight would probably cost more than the entire current budget for the festival. I don't see it as realistic at all.

Regarding virtual festivals or streaming I watched quite a few of the virtual shows last year and it was cool to have the chat room to get that "community" feel to an extent, but I would much much rather be on the farm.

BTW, I have had quite a few people contacting me privately regarding ProgDay status and I have no information for 2021. I have not communicated with Michael in a while and am not aware of any activity happening.
    I looked at 2 offerings and cost is a factor no matter what type of 12ft by 7ft display, not light output levels. MicroLED billboards that put out enough light for daylight conditions are everywhere, and not just Times Square. The stage at Progday is not in the sun and the backdrop is trees.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    I certainly appreciate why someone would not go to a Progday to watch a display with great sound in the heat. However, I could get into a festival that had all local to the US bands in person for most of both days, with 1 international streamed band on each day at the end of each day. Anyway, I don't think the cost is attractive based on different offerings I looked at.

I looked at 2 offerings and cost is a factor no matter what type of 12ft by 7ft display, not light output levels. MicroLED billboards that put out enough light for daylight conditions are everywhere, and not just Times Square. The stage at Progday is not in the sun and the backdrop is trees.
    Just out of curiosity what does something like that cost?

The accomodation of real time tipping and ticketing + donations which were unique for each band drove that design. if you didn't tip, then add up each band's amount + donation. Buy tickets one time using PayPal or whatever, then pay for each band. If you were going to tip, you would need to add that in as well, to the one time purchase. You could go back and buy more tickets if you want. Ive been to many other kinds of festivals which work that way, it simplifies cash management when there is a large variation of entertainments. They could have had a ticket package which had everything for the whole evening, with one purchase. I'll ask Progstock if they can do that.
    This is way more complicated than figuring out how to split a check at a restaurant, so...nevermind!

Banned
    Just out of curiosity what does something like that cost?
    I had found a lower cost one, but cant find it now. This company services the RDU area:

2-hour event rental for $2499 is for our mobile LED screen trailer for a local (30-minute drive) event. Mileage and time will be added for events more than 20 miles from our central location in your state.

https://www.funflicks.com/led-screen-rentals/

No discussion in almost 3 weeks?????Still REALLY, REALLY want to go!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    No discussion in almost 3 weeks?????Still REALLY, REALLY want to go!!!!
    Don't they usually have some bands lined up by now.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Michael Bennett just had a birthday (Happy Birthday, Michael!), and he posted on FB something like he "hoped to be able to see a lot of you at the end of the Summer." I interpreted this as meaning that "Progday 2021" is on his radar, but don't quote me.

Michael Bennett just had a birthday (Happy Birthday, Michael!), and he posted on FB something like he "hoped to be able to see a lot of you at the end of the Summer." I interpreted this as meaning that "Progday 2021" is on his radar, but don't quote me.
    I sure hope so. Just hope that she-who-must-be-obeyed, who, even though fully vaccinated, still wears two masks and gloves, cheerfully lets me go.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Key word Hope or Hoped?
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Like everyone, I lust for some live musics and as a local I crave a ProgDay. But only as the traditional live Storybook event. Basta with the pixels...

the rescheduled Residents show at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill, originally set for May 2020 is now listed as Sunday, Sept.5. That would be a lovely cap to a PD weekend, wouldn't it? So hang around and take Monday for homegoing, in our idealized future... We will all have our jabs by then

BCNU
    David

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Key word Hope or Hoped?
    Yup, I noticed that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Don't they usually have some bands lined up by now.

A lot of times not. I remember some years being into mid summer without much being announced which was ok because it always worked out great.

I'm still keeping the faith, an all domestic line-up would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    A lot of times not. I remember some years being into mid summer without much being announced which was ok because it always worked out great.

I'm still keeping the faith, an all domestic line-up would be great!
    Keep in mind guys, that it is not just booking the bands. Storybook Farm has to be negotiated rented, the hotel has to be negotiated contracted, the sound company has to be negotiated and contracted, plus there are many other behind the scenes things that are typically set up close to a year in advance. I have no knowledge as to whether Michael is planning anything this year or not, but there is a lot that goes into ProgDay in addition to just booking bands that typically has to be set up way in advance. I guess we will all wait to see what happens, but throwing the whole thing together last minute is probably more difficult than people realize.

Keep in mind guys, that it is not just booking the bands. Storybook Farm has to be negotiated rented, the hotel has to be negotiated contracted, the sound company has to be negotiated and contracted, plus there are many other behind the scenes things that are typically set up close to a year in advance. I have no knowledge as to whether Michael is planning anything this year or not, but there is a lot that goes into ProgDay in addition to just booking bands that typically has to be set up way in advance. I guess we will all wait to see what happens, but throwing the whole thing together last minute is probably more difficult than people realize.
    Yep, yep, and a bit more yep as well

It'd be great if it works, but there are still a lot of moving pieces behind the scenes.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com