Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Progday and Vaccines

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have very little interest in streaming as a platform for ProgDay, it was a nice diversion last year but it's in person that I crave. If that's the future of live music I get the feeling I won't be seeing many bands.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I admire your optimism on this, but I think a big part of the appeal of Progday is to be there in person, on that field with everyone. I know it is for me. And I love the drive down and back too. It's a beautiful area of the country. I'm not convinced streaming it will encourage a vast increase in attendance, either. It was streamed last year, if memory serves, and whilst an interesting diversion, was no substitute. YMMV.

neil
    Yes...Progday is Storybook Farm and being there. The 2 times that the event has been taken indoors were a poor substitute and doubtful have would sustained the festival if the weather became to much of a factor.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I thought the same thing John mentioned about the clerk reading the rate card. If you could resurrect Andy Kaufman to read The Great Gatsby on stage, I'm there. Just being there with friends is just as important to me as the live music. I'd be for an all-American line-up; nothing wrong there.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

I'm vaccinated and would attend...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    No more free beer either, the brewery stopped giving it away.
    I figured that was a once-in-a-lifetime thing!
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    There would also be in-person bands performing (perhaps streaming back to the world). I haven’t considered the cost but international travel of bands is cheap. Just think of how large effectively the fest would be, and if the fest was streamed outward, people would want to visit in the future, even though it could be more people than the capacity of Storybook
    Obviously you have never attempted something like putting on a festival, let alone one with all the whistles and gee-gaws you are speaking of.

ProgDay is a really fun thing with a relatively small number of attendees every year (about 200) and usually very sunny and hot. Whatever it is you have in mind doesn’t resemble any ProgDay I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 04-11-2021 at 02:28 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Shadow:
    No more free beer
    That's a deal breaker.

We all bring more then enough, no worries!

But will you bring some ?

I'd attend a live show. A live stream does not pique my interest.

I admire your optimism on this, but I think a big part of the appeal of Progday is to be there in person, on that field with everyone and having the bands live. I know it is for me. And I love the drive down and back too. It's a beautiful area of the country. I'm not convinced streaming it will encourage a vast increase in attendance, either. It was streamed last year, if memory serves, and whilst an interesting diversion, was no substitute. YMMV.

neil
    You misconstrued my post. I never proposed in this thread a Progday, not in person.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

The organizers work their butts off putting the event together, so I'll support them in whatever format they can do.
    Live, in-person? Yes!
    Hybrid? Yes.
    Streaming? OK, too.
    International bands? Great!
    US-only bands? Fine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    The organizers work their butts off putting the event together, so I'll support them in whatever format they can do.
    Live, in-person? Yes!
    Hybrid? Yes.
    Streaming? OK, too.
    International bands? Great!
    US-only bands? Fine as well.
    Agree

I will attend whether real or virtu-real; international, national or local. All vaccinated up and ready to roll.

You misconstrued my post. I never proposed in this thread a Progday, not in person.
    No I didn't. However, perhaps I could have worded my response better. I know what you meant, and I still wouldn't be interested in going to a field and seeing a couple of bands live and a bunch of others on a big screen. It doesn't seem like anyone else is, either. But again, I admire your optimism.

neil

I'm in the "support whatever choice they make" camp, but I suppose I'll qualify it since it's all hypothetical at this point anyway:

• Would I support another all-virtual fest, should world/country/state/local conditions warrant as much? Of course...but I would most likely buy tickets to support the fest but not bother watching the performances.
    • Would I support a hybrid part virtual/part live festival that did not require a substantial increase in my in-person ticket price? Sure. But I'd likely skip the virtual "sets."
    • Would I support a hybrid part virtual/part live festival that required me to pay substantially more for an in-person ticket, to offset the exorbitant costs of livestreaming to/from Storybrook? Probably not if the price was only moderately higher. Definitely not if the price was 50% higher or more.
    • Would I pay prices comparable to in-person ticket prices for remote access to the festival, to offset the costs of livestreaming to/from Storybrook? No I would not.
    • Would I pay $5-30 for a ticket to remote access to the festival when the actual fest was underway? In truth...no I would not.

I have done a handful of virtual "shows" since the start of the pandemic, mainly to support specific acts who are near/dear to my heart. They were nice, but they were a pale, pale, oh so incredibly pale comparison to the energy of a true live performance.

Combined with the absence of what is one of the key ingredients to the PD weekend - the social aspect both on the field and at the hotels/restaurants afterwards...I'll just politely say that I very much hope the organizers elect not to pursue that path, except when forced to do so as was the case this past year.

But, all hypothetical. And all IMHO.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

I have done a handful of virtual "shows" since the start of the pandemic, mainly to support specific acts who are near/dear to my heart. They were nice, but they were a pale, pale, oh so incredibly pale comparison to the energy of a true live performance.

Combined with the absence of what is one of the key ingredients to the PD weekend - the social aspect both on the field and at the hotels/restaurants afterwards...I'll just politely say that I very much hope the organizers elect not to pursue that path, except when forced to do so as was the case this past year.
    100% agree on both points, I've seen a number of streamed shows because they were bands I was interested in and wanted to support the artists any way I could but they are nothing like being at a real gig in person. It's a meeting of people that I'd miss most.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

No I didn't. However, perhaps I could have worded my response better. I know what you meant, and I still wouldn't be interested in going to a field and seeing a couple of bands live and a bunch of others on a big screen. It doesn't seem like anyone else is, either. But again, I admire your optimism.

neil
    Optimism or pessimism. I’m pessimistic that an international festival in-person can be supported. I looked into new gig support costs which used a large LED screen (12 ft by 9 ft) and the cost was 700/day with assistance which supports audio. Note that ROSfest which of course is much bigger, was going to have a huge screen for the 2020 show which was canceled. The capability to support big screen has gotten much less expensive in recent years. Costs are going to plummet even more in the future. Think about the costs to host 2 international headliners at Progday, even if its just travel costs. People can stream high quality from their phones which are soon to be 5G. Hell I can get a set top (like a cable box, but no cable) which is wireless 5G in Maryland, and the Raleigh area supports 5G too. Anyway, I’m not pushing this, but there is no reason to be negative about ideas.

Negativity would be claiming the idea, or the person who provided the idea, is stupid. Haven't seen any such comments. What I do see are a number of posts for or against the idea, or expressing ambivalence. That's healthy discourse.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

I agree with John and Ian on the above. Also, I probably would have just made a donation last year and even watched some of the streams if I wasn't so distracted and ultimately scared off by the complicated system used last year by Progday and ProgStock. I'm sure if I'd tried it when the streams started I'd have figured it out what with working in software development and whatnot, but I just didn't want to deal with it.

Having said that: are any of the streams from those two festivals last year still viewable? I'd pay something to access them now, after the fact. I really enjoyed what the NJ ProgHouse did last year - streaming one archival show each Friday (later on they were shown 1/month or something) with chat and a virtual tip jar. That was simple.

But I'd pay for access for a limited amount of time to something akin to a YouTube channel with those videos to watch. Someone make it happen, at least with whichever bands grant permission.

Nothing hybrid really makes sense. Either we go there and see bands, or stream something simply. I'll pay either way but an all-virtual fest needs to be priced reasonably.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Negativity would be claiming the idea, or the person who provided the idea, is stupid. Haven't seen any such comments. What I do see are a number of posts for or against the idea, or expressing ambivalence. That's healthy discourse.
    When someone claims that no one has said they would attend a hybrid virtual when in fact, in writing, thatís not true, thats negative.

The Progstock streams I witnessed using my 75 mbps internet at home, were great. Combined with simultaneous chat, it was superior than anything I have seen on Youtube or Facebook streams. Not trying to persuade virtual for Progday, just saying it was better video and audio, which made it seem like being in the audience. I am convinced that venues in the future will have virtual and in-person performances because the VR and AR technology will be amazing. The question is whether ďProgĒ will really exploit that tech the way it exploited cutting edge tech in the 70ís.

wouldn't be interested in going to a field and seeing a couple of bands live and a bunch of others on a big screen. It doesn't seem like anyone else is, either. But again, I admire your optimism.

neil
    Read what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If I wasn't so distracted and ultimately scared off by the complicated system used last year by Progday and ProgStock. I'm sure if I'd tried it when the streams started I'd have figured it out what with working in software development and whatnot, but I just didn't want to deal with it.
    Maybe working in software prejudiced you about how simple it was. The main problems seemed that people tried to use internet capability that didn't support the bandwidth. And like anything using computers, restart works wonders. I dont listen to other people, in order to learn something new, its my nature as an engineer. I thought it was easy to use, but I airplayed the full screen concert display from a Mac which seemed more reliable. And then on my iphone, put the chat plus tip buttons up. Thatís 2 separate connections via wifi.

Maybe working in software prejudiced you about how simple it was. The main problems seemed that people tried to use internet capability that didn't support the bandwidth. And like anything using computers, restart works wonders. I dont listen to other people, in order to learn something new, its my nature as an engineer. I thought it was easy to use, but I airplayed the full screen concert display from a Mac which seemed more reliable. And then on my iphone, put the chat plus tip buttons up. That’s 2 separate connections via wifi.
    What confused me had nothing to do with the tech, it was the ticketing system. You had to buy a certain number of "tokens" or something which were worth a certain amount, then decide which shows you were going to watch, etc. Just sell me friggin' TICKETS or access to the shows I want to see, dammit. It was obviously one of those things which once you do it, you see how it's done, but when it comes to a weekend's worth of performances at different times, and I only would be able to or want to watch certain ones, I would have liked to take care of the "purchasing" at one time and not have to figure out a payment system as the first show I want to watch is beginning. It seemed needlessly complicated.