Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chicago at Carnegie Hall Gets Complete 50th Anniversary Edition (Rhino.com Exclusive)

Chicago at Carnegie Hall Gets Complete 50th Anniversary Edition (Rhino.com Exclusive)

From Best Classic Bands.com:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees Chicago became the first non-classical group to perform six nights in a row at Carnegie Hall 50 years ago. Between April 5-10, 1971, the band played eight shows at the celebrated venue (including two matinees) and recorded every one of them. In October of that year, performance highlights were featured on the band’s first-ever live album, the four-record set, Chicago at Carnegie Hall.

To honor the 50th anniversary of Chicago’s historic concerts, the band will release all eight Carnegie Hall shows in their entirety for the first time in a new 16-CD deluxe boxed set. Chicago at Carnegie Hall Complete will be available on July 16, 2021, exclusively at Rhino.com.

From the April 7 announcement: Chicago founding member and trumpeter Lee Loughnane and engineer Tim Jessup spent nearly a year meticulously going through more than 40 concert tapes at Loughnane’s new studio in Arizona to remaster each concert. Their hard work paid off with eight fantastic-sounding shows.

Chicago at Carnegie Hall Complete is presented in a white folio that’s embossed with the group’s trademark logo. The set beautifully commemorates the event through memorabilia that includes replicas of the three posters that accompanied the original vinyl release and images of the original concert program, tickets, and other memorabilia from the historic run. The collection also comes with a 28-page booklet illustrated with photos from the concerts, plus new liner notes with contributions by Loughnane; archivist Jeff Magid, writer/producer David Wild and comedy icon/Chicago fanatic Jimmy Pardo.

When Chicago arrived in New York City in April 1971 to play eight shows at Carnegie Hall, the band was at the peak of its early experimental period and riding high on the success of the group’s third consecutive platinum album, Chicago III. For these historic shows, the band played a cross-section of classic rock hits from their first three studio albums, including “Beginnings,” “Questions 67 and 68,” “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?” and “25 or 6 to 4.” The set also includes the previously unheard first songs from the first show, “Someday (August 29, 1968).”

Watch the official trailer for the set:
    https://youtu.be/pEt2Q6JVXb0

More info & track listing:
    https://store.rhino.com/chicago-at-c...-complete.html

Of course they are. After I've already bought two copies of the damn album already.

I always wondered if all the shows are still around or trashed. Good to hear but sounds like it will be expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I always wondered if all the shows are still around or trashed. Good to hear but sounds like it will be expensive
    And almost assuredly a limited edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Good to hear but sounds like it will be expensive
    From the original post above...

It's $179.98. I'll pass. One complete night is all that I need.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Yeah, if it had a decent video of a whole show I'd be tempted.
    I don't have that LP anymore. I bought it used in 1977 I think.
    I have the US Carnegie & Jap live CDs. Lowdown and 1 other was sung in Japanese. Very strange.
    I may still have that monster poster that used to hang in my bedroom for years. (4'x5'?)
    The older Chicago stuff is still a favorite of mine.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    From the original post above...

It's $179.98. I'll pass. One complete night is all that I need.
    I noticed that price later. Too steep for me. I have the 4 cd set released years ago and made a 2 cdr set from them which is fine with me.

$180 for this or $8 for a decent used copy of the original. The choice is yours!!!
    The Prog Corner

The recent expanded Rhino remaster is phenomenal.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Damn but I'm tempted even at that price. The bits and pieces we have from those nights are just fucking phenomenal music, and I've longed for a "complete Carnegie sessions" or something like that for many years.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Omigosh. I'm in. Live versions of "Someday" and the "Elegy" suite are all I needed to die happy.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    $180 for this or $8 for a decent used copy of the original. The choice is yours!!!
    Where are you seeing this? Let me know! On discogs the 4 CD Rhino remaster sells for $100+.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    On discogs the 4 CD Rhino remaster sells for $100+.
    You're kidding! (checking Amazon) You're not kidding! I paid $35.98 for that thing when it first came out. It might be time for me to get back my investment.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I'm hoping the price will be less when it gets added to Amazon. Rhino prices at their website are usually higher. Regardless, I'm in!

Oh man, I had to go look at the set lists...so many tunes that weren't on the original version, stuff from Chicago III !! But I can't afford that price, no way. If they could make a 2-3 disc "abridged" package with one version of every song performed over the 8 shows, I'd be all over it.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

If someone here buys this I'll be curious to read reports on whether they played the songs differently from one show to the next.

I have the last Rhino expanded edition. Terry Kath never plays the same solo twice. He's a monster on this. I imagine it's more of the same on the new one. At this time of their career, they did a lot of jamming.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I have the last Rhino expanded edition. Terry Kath never plays the same solo twice. He's a monster on this. I imagine it's more of the same on the new one. At this time of their career, they did a lot of jamming.
    Yeah, as I recall the bonus disc has an alternate version of South California Purples, which is considerably different from the version that was on the original album, so yeah, there was improvisation invovled.

I wish you guys would stop making me want this

^^^ YOU DON'T WANT THIS!

Does that help? Problem is I'm really starting to want it too.

I love the 4-cd expanded version, but I don't know that I need the complete shows. There's improvisation, but maybe not enough to justify that level of expense.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I love the 4-cd expanded version, but I don't know that I need the complete shows. There's improvisation, but maybe not enough to justify that level of expense.
    This is what I’m telling myself. I think if I purchased this I’d end up making a cdr of the versions I like best of each song and then have pretty much what I have now from that 4 cd set. It would be a waste of money.

^ I've found that the 4 cd version is a lot to digest. I can't imagine listening to the new set more than once.

I decided to pull the trigger and get this for Christmas.

It's sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I decided to pull the trigger and get this for Christmas.

It's sold out.
    Of course it is. I guess tha tmeans I won't be getting that one either. SIGH! I'm getting tired of being a loser.