Thread: A Syd Barrett question

A Syd Barrett question

Considering that Syd left Pink Floyd due to his increasingly erratic behaviour, it's maybe surprising that he recorded more songs following his leaving PF than he had done while he was the band's main songwriter.
    I am curious as to whether all the songs that appeared on his solo albums were written after leaving PF... or were any of them leftovers/prototypes from earlier days?
    I wonder which, if any, had been rejected for recording by the band?
    Is there any background knowledge about this?

I believe it's more like Pink Floyd leaving Syd than the contrary. Unfortunately I cannot say whether the batch of songs that ended up in his solo albums pre-dated his short solo career.

True - I phrased that opening line a bit carelessly.

I don't think any of the songs that turned up on Barrett's solo albums ever appeared in Floyd's early live shows or unreleased sessions, so they were probably all written after he was elbowed out of the band. We do have studio outtakes and BBC sessions for a lot of Barrett's songs that show them as works in progress, and "Here I Go" from Madcap was reputedly written "in a few minutes."
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY inordinately available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

I believe some like 'Effervescent Elephant' date back to pre-Pink Floyd days. There's the demo 'Bob Dylan Blues', which was also several years old by the time it was recorded.

His first BBC session is worth a listen. It has early versions of three songs that would surface on the Barrett album. It also has the only version of 'Two Of A Kind'...this one is somewhat mysterious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ra...Barrett_album)

I am not aware of versions of his solo album songs done whilst he was still in Pink Floyd.

'Two Of A Kind' is indeed a mystery, if I remember correctly then the shine on book claims it was written by Rick Wright but this makes no sense to me...

P.S. another pre-PF song is Golden Hair

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I believe some like 'Effervescent Elephant' date back to pre-Pink Floyd days. There's the demo 'Bob Dylan Blues', which was also several years old by the time it was recorded.

His first BBC session is worth a listen. It has early versions of three songs that would surface on the Barrett album. It also has the only version of 'Two Of A Kind'...this one is somewhat mysterious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ra...Barrett_album)

I am not aware of versions of his solo album songs done whilst he was still in Pink Floyd.
    On this page there is mention of "Millionaire" was originally titled She was a Millionaire and was originally recorded by Pink Floyd.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_(album)
    Clicking on the hyperlink it goes on to say..
    "She Was a Millionaire"

"She Was a Millionaire" is a Barrett song, recorded at Abbey Road on 18 April 1967,as a possible B-side. Manager Peter Jenner said that the track was "the one that got away, the hit they were looking for." The opening lines are thought to be "She was a millionaire/She had some time to spare". The instrumental backing track was completed by Pink Floyd but the master tapes for the song most likely were erased. Elements from the song, however, would later become part of Barrett's solo song "Opel" recorded in 1969. Two takes were attempted at a backing track by Barrett during the sessions for the Barrett album in 1970,before Barrett added vocals.

There were a few outtakes of Pink Floyd with Barrett, obviously. 'Scream Thy Last Scream'/'Vegetable Man' (the most famous) were mixed for inclusion on Opel, way back in the late 80s. These mixes were left unreleased. They were then remixed in 2010, presumably for that An Introduction To best of. They didn't see the light of day until 2016's The Early Years.

The instrumental 'In The Beechwoods' I knew little about until it turned up on the same set, nor those improvised jam things like 'John Latham'.

There's something in a similar jam vein called 'Rhamadan' (this was initially download-only). That's Barrett and (believed to be) Tyrannosaurus Rex's Steve Peregrine-Took thrashing around.