Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ELOY - harvest remasters

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Proof if it were needed that we all have different ears. The Eloy remasters are some of the best ever sounding cd's I own.
    Wish all due respect, do you also enjoy watching movies on VHS rather than blu-ray??

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Wish all due respect, do you also enjoy watching movies on VHS rather than blu-ray??
    A well produced VHS tape looked better than some of the early hackjob blu rays (anyone watch the first Batman blu ray, for example). The medium doesn't automatically guarantee better.

I own the Eloy remasters. They're the only copies I've owned of these albums. And they're just fine to my ears, I don't even encounter the same degree of ear fatigue I've gotten from other brickwalled albums. I don't doubt that they are, but without loading the wave files into my DAW just to check, it's a non-issue to me.

We like what we like. Sorry they're a disappointment for others, glad for those who found copies that they DO like (vinyl, original CD or otherwise).

100% agreed the copy protection was absurd regardless
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    A well produced VHS tape looked better than some of the early hackjob blu rays (anyone watch the first Batman blu ray, for example). The medium doesn't automatically guarantee better.

I own the Eloy remasters. They're the only copies I've owned of these albums. And they're just fine to my ears, I don't even encounter the same degree of ear fatigue I've gotten from other brickwalled albums. I don't doubt that they are, but without loading the wave files into my DAW just to check, it's a non-issue to me.

We like what we like. Sorry they're a disappointment for others, glad for those who found copies that they DO like (vinyl, original CD or otherwise).

100% agreed the copy protection was absurd regardless
    That's where my thoughts are too.
    As for the copy protection, I have not had a problem playing them. And I don't care that they have it on them, because the reason I buy CDs is to listen to the CD. I get that people like to have their stuff in an easy digital format to be able to listen to all the time, but sometimes you just need to depend on the good old CD

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Who wouldn't? VHS is so much warmer than Blu-Ray. Plus, there's the whole "ritual" of VHS to enjoy. The head-cleaning cassette, etc.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    That's where my thoughts are too.
    As for the copy protection, I have not had a problem playing them. And I don't care that they have it on them, because the reason I buy CDs is to listen to the CD. I get that people like to have their stuff in an easy digital format to be able to listen to all the time, but sometimes you just need to depend on the good old CD
    Yeah...it wasn't the end of the world if I just listened to the CDs (which I did). And I think I bypassed their ever-so-fancy copy protection simply by holding down shift while the disc loaded into my computer Still was a stupid thing on their part, IMHO
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

No I don't but I think you're missing my point.

I would love to read them in there was any.

There actually were translations of the essays on at least the first three EMI albums online. I remember reading them around 2004. Unfortunately, I can't find them anymore. They were probably on the emimusic.de site, which doesn't exist anymore since EMI was fused into the Universal Music conglomerate, and the Internet Archive doesn't seem to have archived the Eloy album pages.

As far as the remasters go, those that I have heard are loud and unsubtle. Inside is the only one I own at the moment, the old CD versions have worked fine.

I have the 2004 remasters, and thought they sounded ok to my ears.

I was on holiday in Berlin and came across Dawn and Ocean (brand new) in a store, so I bought them. But then I wanted to add Silent Cries to the collection, but I was only able to track down a copy of the original cd edition in a used store.

When I sat down to listen to all three, I felt the original Silent Cries was a bit lacking in clarity and bass compared to the remasters of the other two, so I then bought a copy of the remaster online, and I have to say, it sounded much better.

I appreciate that those of you with the original vinyl may feel that it can't be bettered, but in all fairness the 2004 cds sound compared to other bands' remasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    There actually were translations of the essays on at least the first three EMI albums online. I remember reading them around 2004. Unfortunately, I can't find them anymore. They were probably on the emimusic.de site, which doesn't exist anymore since EMI was fused into the Universal Music conglomerate, and the Internet Archive doesn't seem to have archived the Eloy album pages.

As far as the remasters go, those that I have heard are loud and unsubtle. Inside is the only one I own at the moment, the old CD versions have worked fine.
    Thank you. Finally an answer to my original question

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Who wouldn't? VHS is so much warmer than Blu-Ray. Plus, there's the whole "ritual" of VHS to enjoy. The head-cleaning cassette, etc.
    Well played.

That said, I've got a fair few copies of most of these albums. I prefer the German import vinyl that I had to pay a fair amount of money for back when I first got them in the early 80s. You've got two choices (for some) on CD as far as I can tell - flat transfers that are noisy and use as much headroom as a vinyl master because that's basically what they are - typical mid-80s stuff. Secondly, the remasters (of which I think there is only one set in multiple pressings and releases) which are linear transfers designed to better fit the dynamic range of a CD. There is compression here (as there needs to be) and the problem is that it's mechanical rather than carefully applied. Sometimes this sounds great, but often it's a bit tiring. These are not brick-walled but they do clip in places.

We could clearly do with a new set of remasters by somebody who knows what they are doing, is being paid well enough to do a good job, still has decent hearing if not golden ears, and who cares about the result. Obviously it goes without saying that the artist should be kept away from this process.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    Well played.

That said, I've got a fair few copies of most of these albums. I prefer the German import vinyl that I had to pay a fair amount of money for back when I first got them in the early 80s. You've got two choices (for some) on CD as far as I can tell - flat transfers that are noisy and use as much headroom as a vinyl master because that's basically what they are - typical mid-80s stuff. Secondly, the remasters (of which I think there is only one set in multiple pressings and releases) which are linear transfers designed to better fit the dynamic range of a CD. There is compression here (as there needs to be) and the problem is that it's mechanical rather than carefully applied. Sometimes this sounds great, but often it's a bit tiring. These are not brick-walled but they do clip in places.

We could clearly do with a new set of remasters by somebody who knows what they are doing, is being paid well enough to do a good job, still has decent hearing if not golden ears, and who cares about the result. Obviously it goes without saying that the artist should be kept away from this process.
    The noise-reduction on the remasters is the worst part. Dead.

I enjoy all the remasters of the Eloy cds I have.
    I have heard far worse remastering jobs.