Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELOY - harvest remasters

ELOY - harvest remasters

I recently bought everything from inside to metromania and ocean 2.
    I'm wondering if anybody knows if there are English translation of the liner notes that come with the CDs?
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wish there was a good Eloy box set! I have all their albums I need, but a more uniform presentation would be nice.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wish there was a good Eloy box set! I have all their albums I need, but a more uniform presentation would be nice.
    Not only that, but trying to fondle 15 or so CDs at the same time is a little like getting drunk and playing Twister.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I think these cds are fine, I just wish I could read the liner notes.
    I have read people criticizing the mastering, but I think they sound good...but I have no other versions to compare with.

The Eloy remasters are among some of the best sounding cd's ever, love them.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

I never realised the liner-notes were in German. I just read them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    The Eloy remasters are among some of the best sounding cd's ever, love them.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
    Over at the Hoffman site, they don't agree with us.
    I'm listening right now to one of them and it sounds great

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I never realised the liner-notes were in German. I just read them.
    I wish I had that skill.

Well I can read German almost as well as Dutch. Reading English is a bit harder. But well, I watch German television and have spend lots of vacations in Germany an Austria.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well I can read German almost as well as Dutch. Reading English is a bit harder. But well, I watch German television and have spend lots of vacations in Germany an Austria.
    Yeah, I can read German and all ... understanding it is quite a different story
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Yeah, I can read German and all ... understanding it is quite a different story
    Understanding German is not really a problem for me. I recently finished the autobiography of Achim Reichel, which was in German.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I recently bought everything from inside to metromania and ocean 2.
    I'm wondering if anybody knows if there are English translation of the liner notes that come with the CDs?
    Are these remasters from the 90s, or are there more recent ones?
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Are these remasters from the 90s, or are there more recent ones?
    2004 remasters

I can definitively say that the remaster of Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes is a botch job. I remember on the vinyl LP, that last “HOW WILL WE STAND THE FIRE TOMORROW?” nearly tore my head off! On the remaster, they start a fade-out before that, so you can barely hear it!

Not really enamored of the others either, frankly. A nasty, brick-walled mess. At least my copies of Colours and Time to Turn are the original releases. And the bonus tracks on the remasters are nice (for the most part; the “remix” on Power & the Passion is beyond pointless).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I can definitively say that the remaster of Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes is a botch job. I remember on the vinyl LP, that last “HOW WILL WE STAND THE FIRE TOMORROW?” nearly tore my head off! On the remaster, they start a fade-out before that, so you can barely hear it!

Not really enamored of the others either, frankly. A nasty, brick-walled mess. At least my copies of Colours and Time to Turn are the original releases. And the bonus tracks on the remasters are nice (for the most part; the “remix” on Power & the Passion is beyond pointless).
    The nice part of being new to these, is that I have nothing to compare them to, so it sounds good to me, which is really the most important when listening. I know I will be curious if I ever see the original CDs used, but I won't seek them out.

2004 remasters
    The ones that had that stupid "copy protection"? I think another series of remasters was printed in 2014-15, don't know if they were different in sound, however. The 2004 ones were brickwalled to death.

The nice part of being new to these, is that I have nothing to compare them to, so it sounds good to me, which is really the most important when listening. I know I will be curious if I ever see the original CDs used, but I won't seek them out.
    The original CDs were amongst the worst sounding end 80s CDs I've ever listened to (muddy sound and some hiss). Unfortunately with Eloy you have to go vinyl.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 04-06-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

There was this box in 2019: https://www.discogs.com/Eloy-The-Cla...lease/13551485
    6 albums on 3 CD's, not ideal I think.
    Sorry, just 3 albums, both on CD and LP, even less ideal.

I own 10,000 cd's and the Eloy Remasters are among the very worst I've ever heard. Compressed to the point of distortion. Awful beyond measure. If anyone truly cares about Eloy, then toss those remasters and pick up vinyl or at least the nice, smooth original 1980's EMI Harvest European cd's.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    The ones that had that stupid "copy protection"? I think another series of remasters was printed in 2014-15, don't know if they were different in sound, however. The 2004 ones were brickwalled to death
    I agree; there was no valid reason to "protect" those CDs. It's not like Eloy is the most copied band in the world or were like when Metallica took Napster to court for something that is so absurd and useless nowadays when there are hundreds of streaming and cloud services available on the web.

One very peculiar bonus charm or at least for me, for one of their imported compilations Eloy was one of the very few bands to have their logo literally "etched" onto the front of the jewel case in gold letters - I never saw that done for any other band, pretty COOL and unique. A Collector's item.

And also agreed, their remasters are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I own 10,000 cd's and the Eloy Remasters are among the very worst I've ever heard. Compressed to the point of distortion. Awful beyond measure. If anyone truly cares about Eloy, then toss those remasters and pick up vinyl or at least the nice, smooth original 1980's EMI Harvest European cd's.
    Yes, totally, one of the worst remastered job ever done. I wonder how musicians accept these botched remastered job. Can't they hear their own work get the life of them sucked by brickwalling that cause distortion and leave no place dynamic anymore???

I am a mild Eloy fan. I saw them a couple of times in concert and I know their records up to Dawn, but never owned one of their records. A couple of weeks ago there was a guy selling records that he had put right on the pavement in mosaic form and I perceived some classic records but didn't stop, because I disliked the way he treated the vinyls. I went to a shop nearby and when I came out I was curious and went back to the vinyl seller and he had all Eloy records from Inside to Dawn on vinyl. So I had a closer look at Floating , because I like the cover and the record looked good. So I asked for the price which was ok and bought it. Back home I put it on the turntable and the record was not only NM but has amazing dynamics, and brought back schoolday memories. I went back a couple of days later hoping to find the seller again but no....

I have mostly the original CD releases, and while the sound isn't exactly fantastic (someone mentioned hiss, which I hear on Dawn, but not on the others...or at least not enough to affect my enjoyment) they at least seem to have dynamics and aren't brick walled. I should mention as well I don't have any of the Eloy albums that came before Dawn. Also, they pretty much sound like how I remember vinyl albums sounding on my father's stereo system growing up (but without the occasional skip, or pops and crackles). Basically, I don't feel any need to upgrade and I don't want vinyl.

I do have Planets as a remaster (because I had trouble finding it when I bought most of the others) and it has the copy protection. However, I was able to rip it on my Windows 10 system without issue because I think the copy protection was designed for Windows 7 and earlier systems (not sure about Apple). Nothing got installed and I was able to rip it quite easily. Anyway, this thread helps me to not want any of their remasters. I do have some of the more recent albums (late 90's and 2000's) and they sound pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    Yes, totally, one of the worst remastered job ever done. I wonder how musicians accept these botched remastered job. Can't they hear their own work get the life of them sucked by brickwalling that cause distortion and leave no place dynamic anymore???
    Proof if it were needed that we all have different ears. The Eloy remasters are some of the best ever sounding cd's I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Proof if it were needed that we all have different ears. The Eloy remasters are some of the best ever sounding cd's I own.
    I have no problem with them either.
    Kinda makes me wanna give those Scorpions 50th anniversary cds a try

I have no problem with them either.
    Kinda makes me wanna give those Scorpions 50th anniversary cds a try
    Me neither. But I never play my music very loud.