Thread: NCAA Women's Final Four

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NCAA Women's Final Four

Here are the broadcast times on Friday and the match-ups:

6:00pm - 1 South Carolina vs 1 Stanford
    9:30pm - 3 Arizona vs 1 UConn

In the Elite 8 games, SC spanked Texas and Arizona had little difficulty with Indiana.

The UConn/Baylor game was another story, however. Baylor almost won that game, playing excellent defense against the Huskies. Some say they should have won but those crying over the no-call foul at the end are forgetting how the refs let a lot of calls go. I've never had the kind of eye to see fouls/penalties in sports but towards the end of the game there was one foul committed by Baylor's Sarah Andrews on UConn's Christyn Williams that was so blatant, I saw it! And it was never called.

Baylor's Dijonai Carrington had a great game w/22 pts but UConn's Freshman Phenom, Paige Bueckers, had a great game, scoring 28. Much of that was probably due to Baylor's best defensive player, Didi Richards who was guarding Bueckers, going out with an injury.

Last night's game of Louisville/Stanford was one of the best games I've ever seen. Louisville came out dominating Stanford, who couldn't seem to get firing on offense, mostly due to Louisville's high pressing D since Stanford likes to score from the perimeter. Stanford shot only 28% in the first half. They also played a bit soft on D, except for Cameron Brink, who had four blocks. Brink actually had a great game, scoring 9 pts as well as snagging quite a few rebounds.

But Louisville was leading 38-26 at the half!

In the second half, Stanford did two things: started playing good D and took the ball inside to score. That opened things up on the perimeter and Stanford then started scoring out there, as well, especially once Kiana Williams finally started to get hot and Ashton Prechtel, who had come in for Brink, went 4 for 4 from 3 point range.

But the big difference was that Louisville had only one player in double digits in scoring: the dangerous Dana Evans, who scored 24, while Stanford had four, and almost a fifth, because Stanford has the deepest freaking bench in women's basketball!

They blew out Louisville in the second half, shooting 53% in the 3rd qtr and 77% in the 4th, outscoring them 52-25!!! They ended up winning 78-63.

I hope for a UConn/Stanford final. The problem with that is it would force me to root against UConn because I so want Stanford to win it all. They are so good. I won't be heartbroken if UConn wins it again, however.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

After that disaster at the end of the Baylor game I lost interest.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

pretty knowledgeable Hal.. unfortunately the womens game doesn't garner as much interest as the mens.
    as far as UConn/Baylor, i look at it this way - bad calls/no calls are part of the game. there were quite a few fouls committed by Baylor throughout the game that weren't called either. but i'm a UConn fan so i'll take it.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

USC - Go Cocks!

It doesn't make up for the screwing of Baylor but I'm glad Arizona won.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It doesn't make up for the screwing of Baylor...
    I see it the same way as UnephenStephen:

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    As far as UConn/Baylor, i look at it this way - bad calls/no calls are part of the game. there were quite a few fouls committed by Baylor throughout the game that weren't called either
    And, indeed, I'd go so far as to say Baylor was in it as long as they were because those fouls weren't called.

Conversely, look at the Stanford/SC game yesterday. They called that game a lot more closely than the UConn/Baylor game and SC had four players with 4 fouls vs Stanford's one, iirc.

I argue with my brother about this all the time, especially in regards to college football: the notion that the "refs are letting them play" is bullshit. They are not letting them play. They're letting them cheat. And I'm getting really sick of it. During the OSU/Clemson game in the playoffs a couple years ago, there was a play where one of OSU's corner backs was ejected for targeting. On that same play, three of OSU's D lineman where held, including one so bad, that one of Clem's lineman almost ripped off Chase Young's helmet.

Attachment 15012

Nothing was called.

If they called games the way they should be called, you'd really see the cream rise to the top.

And speaking of Stanford/SC, Cameron Brink receives the inbound and immediately covers up the ball with both arms. She's then mugged, the ball's stripped, and she falls down. How was she not fouled?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    After that disaster at the end of the Baylor game I lost interest.
    Maybe you should lose interest again.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe