Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sea of Tranquility

I enjoy the Pardo/Popoff shows on Fridays and the "Prog Seat" shows. I think four people is the max for effective shows. With more than four the shows can drag. Everyone feels they need to get a word in, and be funny, etc., and I just want them to get on with it. They are certainly knowledgeable about the genres they discuss, no question there.

TBH, I can't spend 90 minutes watching these, so it's a good thing that their choices are written in the first posts down there.

Nice to put some faces on the usernames (Chuck, Ken, Jon, for ex), though... since I already know Steve's, Pardo's and Popoff's

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I watch SOT and I don't know what this is that you're referring to?
    That's when the dudes are showing the album covers in front of their faces, especially for vinyls., but CDs as well.

I don't see it as a problem, though.
    Last edited by Trane; 06-21-2022 at 02:59 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post

I watch SOT and I don't know what this is that you're referring to?
    When he holds a CD and STIFF arms it at the camera - but if you are ok with it well, enjoy his vids!
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    When he holds a CD and STIFF arms it at the camera - but if you are ok with it well, enjoy his vids!
    Well, the truth is if we don't show the CDs and hold them up, hundreds of people complain in the comments. That's the reason we always try to show and hold up the physical media.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Exactly. When I say it's a waste of time, I mean for me specifically, not the many people who obviously enjoy these things by SoT and others. After a few minutes, I find myself antsy to listen to music rather than watching a fan talk about it. It just feels like a longer, more drawn out version of what we're doing right here, but without the ability to participate. What I think I need is to discover a band who I don't know anything about, but whose music I would love, and then these things might be of value to me. In the meantime, I'll read interviews and reviews, that's more my speed.
    Well, that's the point of what we do on SoT, is to hopefully discuss bands/albums that many people aren't familiar with and might take a chance on. Though for many folks on here, shows on PFM, Banco, Yes, Genesis, Dream Theater, etc might seem redundant as you are well familiar with their music, our channel appeals to many folks who have yet to dive into these bands, and our discussion of them and their music is what they use to make decisions on what to investigate and buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Pardo's YT vids are not for me, and TBH often a bit shallow (for me, anyways), especially in the album ranking or discography overview.

Not only do I not care about his advice, but he doesn't seem to prepare them enough, spends too much time looking at the Cds to cite tracks or release dates, proof maybe that he doesn't know the albums in depth as much as he should.

But I'm glad someone does this kind of stuff and gets many views (though I suspect that it's mostly old geezers, as opposed to rookies that are watching them.

Duncan is not the only SOT member around PE. Isn't Neudorf also one of them, too?
    To be honest, I prepare quite a bit and do know these albums quite well, but when you are discussing hundreds of albums each and every month across MANY shows, expecting someone to remember the exact track order and release date of each one without glancing at notes or looking at the back of the CD is a lot to ask.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Keep at it Pete, they're great shows. Particular love the panel shows.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate that!

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Well, that's the point of what we do on SoT, is to hopefully discuss bands/albums that many people aren't familiar with and might take a chance on. Though for many folks on here, shows on PFM, Banco, Yes, Genesis, Dream Theater, etc might seem redundant as you are well familiar with their music, our channel appeals to many folks who have yet to dive into these bands, and our discussion of them and their music is what they use to make decisions on what to investigate and buy.
    I get that. For people who are learning about certain bands or styles, a show like yours is an invaluable tool. If this technology had been around when I was 16 years old and just starting to branch out beyond the 'biggies', I would have been addicted to watching.

For me, there just aren't the hours in the day to get to all the music I want to listen to, so whenever I've tried watching YouTube panels, etc. I can't help but feel they are cutting into time I feel could be better spent (for me). So it's no slight on these shows at all; it's just that I am not the target audience.

I've come to understand being on the other side of that coin; I can put days of effort into writing a review or transcribing an interview only to have people say 'I don't like reading'.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I get that. For people who are learning about certain bands or styles, a show like yours is an invaluable tool. If this technology had been around when I was 16 years old and just starting to branch out beyond the 'biggies', I would have been addicted to watching.

For me, there just aren't the hours in the day to get to all the music I want to listen to, so whenever I've tried watching YouTube panels, etc. I can't help but feel they are cutting into time I feel could be better spent (for me). So it's no slight on these shows at all; it's just that I am not the target audience.

I've come to understand being on the other side of that coin; I can put days of effort into writing a review or transcribing an interview only to have people say 'I don't like reading'.
    Which is precisely why I started the YouTube channel. Running the SoT webzine since 2001, we saw a significant drop off in people wanting to read written reviews and interviews, and since I started the YouTube channel in 2014, the viewership has far eclipsed anything we still do on the zine.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    U do know I'm on the panel

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Ahhh, so there's no shortage of talk of Hillage and Jobson and Gavin Harrison then.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i watched him a lot but he tends to drag things on longer then needed, he needs to get to the point.

he loves his precious Deep Purple.
    Well, the fact of the matter is that viewers like the longer shows...it's a talk show after all. And yes, I do love my previous Deep Purple!

I like your inputs, though some of your choices can be quite predictable.

Ahhh, so there's no shortage of talk of Hillage and Jobson and Gavin Harrison then.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    To be honest, I prepare quite a bit and do know these albums quite well, but when you are discussing hundreds of albums each and every month across MANY shows, expecting someone to remember the exact track order and release date of each one without glancing at notes or looking at the back of the CD is a lot to ask.
    Yikes, Pete

If I'd known you were on this board, I might have certainly worded my reaction differently.
    I guess I'm expecting everyone to remember which tracks are on which album and the release dates of those classic albums by heart, but most likely with the pressure of the camera, I'd probably lose half my memory.

I'm actually glad someone is doing these (you quoted my previous comment) and I do check out some of them, even if skipping (FFWDing) thru them.

soooo, never mind my big mouth.

true enough... If this kind of filmed debate had taken place in the late 70's, I'd have been a junkie too.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I Love Sea of Tranquility! The album ranking, the In The Prog Seat segments, the interviews with some of Favorite Musicians and the tributes to the Prog & Rock Musicians that we've lost. I also like this latest entry from them. So, Thanks to Pete Pardo & his Team at Sea Of Tranquility!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I enjoy the Pardo/Popoff shows on Fridays and the "Prog Seat" shows. I think four people is the max for effective shows. With more than four the shows can drag. Everyone feels they need to get a word in, and be funny, etc., and I just want them to get on with it. They are certainly knowledgeable about the genres they discuss, no question there.
    Exactly, word for word, my thoughts. Pete is great, Martin is great, but more than 3, or at most 4 in the room I don't watch. I have powered through a few videos when there are 6-8 people but also skip through some of them.

I enjoy most of the output, and Pete’s comments about the decline in readership and increase in “watchership” are amply borne out by the struggles that a lot of websites and printed press have these days, which I find sad, but that is the direction of travel. I admire the setting up of the YT channel, and thought about doing something similar. I didn’t because I prefer the written word, and I am nowhere as near good looking as the SoT chaps! Nobody wants to look at my ugly mug and hear me rambling away. I suspect that the YT site has introduced many people to some great music, so all power to them.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Writing reviews on a zine/blog vs Filming (and even editing) for YouTube can be incredibly time consuming.

Pete somehow does it. I'd love to be able to do it at even a fraction of his pace, but I don't see it happening sadly.

You know, going from a weekly Hobby, to a labor-of-love major hobby (or a Probono 2nd job). A little like doing radio I suppose.

Looks like Pete and Sea of Tranquility are putting on a festival of some kind:

Last edited by Dan Roth; 07-19-2022 at 09:48 AM.

Wow, I work in Poughkeepsie about three minutes from this place. I'll have to try and go.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn’t. What’s your name?

Anthony the yellow Hoodie Jobson Harrison fanatic
    Ian

Sea of Tranquility is the name of a song by Barclay James Harvest on the album Gone to Earth. One of my old favs.

Pete's great and I'm a follower of his reviews on his channel