Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sea of Tranquility

Sea of Tranquility

this guy does some good prog related videos..

dream setlist:

ranking the albums:
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

I'm hoping that one day I will see what others see in these kinds of videos. I've honestly tried, but it just comes across as a colossal waste of precious, fleeting time to sit and watch someone talk about how this album by so-and-so is better than this one. As it is, I've read stuff like that for over a quarter century on the internet. All of this 'ranking' and competition of music is already a waste of time in text format as it is, but at least in a place like this, there's a level of participation involved that leads to offshoot discussions, etc.

This isn't to criticize; some people like this kind of thing, and more power to them. But when I scanned through that second video above, I saw a guy holding up various Genesis CDs and reading off song titles from the back. I can do that for myself, I'm in front of a wall of CDs too, with my own opinions of these bands' catalogues. Perhaps these videos are helpful to young or new fans to a band's music, and that's great. It does seem, though, that the majority of comments I read are not from those kind of fans. Oh well! Just one person's thoughts here.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I am not that big a fan of the "Dream Setlist" shows, but do enjoy his "Ranking The Albums" series. Pete also does some great interviews, and other discussions on his shows. I am a regular watcher.

Jon Neudorf
    Pete's awesome. Think I have reviewed for SoT for almost 15 years.We did a couple of videos decides together - Moody Blues and Manfred Mann. It was fun hope to do more of them.

Interviews and reviews I see the appeal in, of course. And again, I'm not knocking anybody for doing these things or for watching them, I'm just expressing my bewilderment at what I'm missing about them.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I don't know him personally, but Pete seems like a really good guy. Given his love for Prog-Rock and comic books, I'm certain that if I had lived near him when I was young, we would have been fast friends.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think the videos like 20 Best Classic Italian Prog Albums, 20 Best Classic British Prog Albums, 20 Best 90s-Present British Prog Albums, etc. would be of use to someone wanting to begin listening to those albums, in the same way that the Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Prog was of incredible use to me back in the day. And they're planning to do more of those.

But how many people are using it to get into listening to those genres or time periods, I don't know. Some of them are fun to watch; I'd rather listen to or read someone else's list of albums than making my own list. I'm not a fan of making lists.

Some of the videos where they rank all the albums of a particular band have been useful to me, although it's not more useful (and sometimes is less useful) than referring to ProgArchives or Discogs.

I used to marvel at HOW MANY albums Pete reviews, back when I subscribed to Sea of Tranquility. I think at the same time he was reviewing a lot of albums, or at least commenting on a lot, on the Perpetual Motion Forum (Prog Metal). So I'm glad for him that he's found a way to monetize that in these unprecedented times.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Some of the videos where they rank all the albums of a particular band have been useful to me, although it's not more useful (and sometimes is less useful) than referring to ProgArchives or Discogs.
    The difference there is that you're consulting a quick and easy consensus of public opinion rather than watching one guy give his for a half an hour. But it's all in how much you value your time, I suppose.

To be fair, if there was a band or genre of music I was just discovering, maybe I'd find something like this of use to me too. And maybe the problem is that I'm too much like some of these guys, in that I tend to already know all of what they're saying (apart from their own personal 'rankings'), having been an obsessive music sponge for my whole life too. I'm even starting to look the part, what with the 13 months of no haircuts and the massive wall of music (no guitar here though).

He seems to get a lot of views for them, so they must be enjoyed by/helping someone.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think Pete ranks Wind and Trick too low. They'd be near the top of my rankings.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    He seems to get a lot of views for them, so they must be enjoyed by/helping someone.
    I know. If only five people watched them, I wouldn't be wondering what I'm missing.

I haven't spoken to him in several years but I knew Pete from the early days of Nearfest and the long gone prog.net website where we both wrote reviews. He is(or at least was) a member on here(SOT dude). Anyway, I no long follow SOT on youtube closely(ie I'm not subscribed) but I do watch it occasionally and I think he does a good job with best album and song lists. He really knows his stuff and runs a very good youtube channel. You can't do what Pete does without having passion for the music and Pete has it in spades. Also, I like how he often has guests on his show to help out with his lists. Not many other youtube channels do what he does. Most I have seen are all about reactions or just reviewing the music.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think Pete ranks Wind and Trick too low. They'd be near the top of my rankings.
    Believe it or not ATOTT is probably my favorite Genesis album. For the longest time it was SEBTP but over all I think trick is the most consistent album they've done(at least for me personally).

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm hoping that one day I will see what others see in these kinds of videos. I've honestly tried, but it just comes across as a colossal waste of precious, fleeting time to sit and watch someone talk about how this album by so-and-so is better than this one. As it is, I've read stuff like that for over a quarter century on the internet. All of this 'ranking' and competition of music is already a waste of time in text format as it is, but at least in a place like this, there's a level of participation involved that leads to offshoot discussions, etc.

This isn't to criticize; some people like this kind of thing, and more power to them. But when I scanned through that second video above, I saw a guy holding up various Genesis CDs and reading off song titles from the back. I can do that for myself, I'm in front of a wall of CDs too, with my own opinions of these bands' catalogues. Perhaps these videos are helpful to young or new fans to a band's music, and that's great. It does seem, though, that the majority of comments I read are not from those kind of fans. Oh well! Just one person's thoughts here.
    I'm honestly kind of with you on this, and I thought when I first watched these videos, I'd enjoy them more. I think fans like to compare their taste with other fans, or have their taste validated ("No! Trick of the Tail is much better than Wind & Wuthering! I challenge you to a duel!") and that's why these get a lot of views. But I started skipping sections of these videos (as well as Rick Beato's Top Ten lists) because honestly I just feel like it's covering ground I've heard before. I mean... we all know "From Genesis to Revelation" isn't a great start for Genesis. What more can be said about it?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Lately I only watch his videos with Martin Popoff. If there are too many guests I get impatient. Pete's interviews with musicians are very good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Lately I only watch his videos with Martin Popoff. If there are too many guests I get impatient. Pete's interviews with musicians are very good though.
    Agree, the ones that he does with Martin are usually very good.

I watch all the SOT videos. I subscribe. I like Pete a lot.

That said, most of them run a little too long...
    The Prog Corner

Does he own every metal/prog/rock CD ever released? Sure seems like it!

Jon Neudorf
    And it would be a very diverse collection as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Believe it or not ATOTT is probably my favorite Genesis album. For the longest time it was SEBTP but over all I think trick is the most consistent album they've done(at least for me personally).
    I believe it - Trick is one of the top three all time Genesis albums. I know I'm in a minority, but despite all its flaws, Lamb is my favourite. The other top three is Selling. Followed very closely but Foxtrot and Nursery.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I've been enjoying his whole array of shows, solo and with guests. I like his personality, easy to listen to. Each of his guests is a character in their own way too. I like that Pete and Butch Jones (one of the guests) are big fans of some of my second-tier 70's faves like Be Bop Deluxe and Angel.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I believe it - Trick is one of the top three all time Genesis albums. I know I'm in a minority, but despite all its flaws, Lamb is my favourite. The other top three is Selling. Followed very closely but Foxtrot and Nursery.
    You really can't go wrong with any of those. I have mixed feelings about lamb but over all I still like it. However, it might be my least favorite of the PG or SH era(not counting FGTR).

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    You really can't go wrong with any of those. I have mixed feelings about lamb but over all I still like it. However, it might be my least favorite of the PG or SH era(not counting FGTR).
    I forgot about something pretty fundametal - Wind - more uneven than Trick but we some simply spellbinding music. I rate it very highly overall. I've also not played Nursery Crymes nearly as much as everything else in the catalog so it relatively more fresh.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-01-2021 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    As it is, I've read stuff like that for over a quarter century on the internet. All of this 'ranking' and competition of music is already a waste of time in text format as it is, but at least in a place like this, there's a level of participation involved that leads to offshoot discussions, etc.
    100% agreed. I am never one to try and competitively rank albums...seems like a waste of time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree, the ones that he does with Martin are usually very good.
    Martin's another guy who's reviewed a shocking number of albums over the years, in the pages of Sea of Tranquility, and I guess also on their website once the printed magazine stopped publishing. Also, I think, on the Perpetual Motion forum.

I think some of these websites like SoT, the forums (like PE, PA, and PM), and all the YouTube and FB stuff (in other words, all prog social media) have been taking up some of the slack from the lack of discussions at prog festivals and other live concerts. I know that's the case for me. One nice benefit of all this is that once we're able to have those large gatherings again, we'll have more social contacts to meet with in the meat world. I'll know Pete Pardo if I see him, I'll know Lorne (Progatron), etc. I'll recognize Ken Golden's hands from his videos where he squeezes hot meat. I think Pete's videos are partly just an expression of his wanting to be "out and about" in the social media world while he's unable to do so in real life. He's "that friendly guy who's always ranking albums and fantasizing about dream setlists." So I'm cool with that. I know Lorne isn't "not cool with it," this is just how I'm choosing to look at it.