Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sea of Tranquility

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I enjoy the Pardo/Popoff shows on Fridays and the "Prog Seat" shows. I think four people is the max for effective shows. With more than four the shows can drag. Everyone feels they need to get a word in, and be funny, etc., and I just want them to get on with it. They are certainly knowledgeable about the genres they discuss, no question there.
    If there are a lot of guests,there is a lot of talk without so much being said all the time.For me the guests that has the most interesting things to say are Ken Golden and Sean Tonar.If they could add a theme-related,by the prog community known musician/someone who's closely involved in the "music business" that would made a great and interesting foursome.

I've become a regular with the SoT shows, but not all of them. Pete did a rant recently where he complained about the low numbers of his new releases videos compared to the roundtables, but it's precisely the conversational nature of the latter that drew me to them. I like Pete as a host and enjoy his contributions but what I really enjoy is him interacting with other people. That's really where the appeal was for me initially in a time period where opportunities to talk music with people in real life were nonexistent or at least few and far between. In fact, I'll watch shows on topics that I have little interest in, like metal or monster movies, just because I really like some of the people on them, like Jamie Laszlo or Martin Popoff. Obviously In The Prog Seat is my go-to series, with guys like Ken Golden and Luis Nasser standing out (and Steve F, obviously, although he's a more occasional participant). All in all, very grateful to Pete and the boys for their dedication and, particularly in Pete's case, the hard work. It's like the longtime dream of a regular TV show on prog (& more) coming to life.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Well, the fact of the matter is that viewers like the longer shows...it's a talk show after all. And yes, I do love my previous Deep Purple!
    Lol, these are Prog fans we are talking about.

Pete, I love the show. Also, though I consider myself a Bay Area guy as I’ve been here since 1990–I grew up in PoTown. I bet we saw some of the same shows in the 80’s…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

My favourite Youtube channel! Can't be easy producing so much product.

Thanks Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    All of this 'ranking' and competition of music is already a waste of time in text format as it is, but at least in a place like this, there's a level of participation involved that leads to offshoot discussions, etc.

Perhaps these videos are helpful to young or new fans to a band's music, and that's great. It does seem, though, that the majority of comments I read are not from those kind of fans. Oh well! Just one person's thoughts here.
    I am in agreement with you. Videos like that probably are helpful to new fans, but this need to competitively rank albums AND put it on video, IMO, is kind of pointless. More power to them, but I'd rather spend that time listening to music than listening to someone subjectively rank the quality of a bands' output.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I am in agreement with you. Videos like that probably are helpful to new fans, but this need to competitively rank albums AND put it on video, IMO, is kind of pointless. More power to them, but I'd rather spend that time listening to music than listening to someone subjectively rank the quality of a bands' output.
    I don't know, they had a mid year best of 2022 show this week and I checked out the Simon Phillips - Protocol V and Held By Trees - Solace based on the show.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I don't know, they had a mid year best of 2022 show this week and I checked out the Simon Phillips - Protocol V and Held By Trees - Solace based on the show.
    both worth checking / hearing!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Looks like Pete and Sea of Tranquility are putting on a festival of some kind:

Update on the FallFest as posted by Pete today:

Information on Sea of Tranquility Fall Fest 2022 at The Chance in Poughkeepsie, NY on October 1st coming very soon...bands, tickets, schedule, etc...hope to see all you NY, NJ, CT, PA, etc. SoT fans on October 1st!!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Nice, thanks for checking out the Simon Phillips, amazing disc.

Update on the FallFest as posted by Pete today:

Information on Sea of Tranquility Fall Fest 2022 at The Chance in Poughkeepsie, NY on October 1st coming very soon...bands, tickets, schedule, etc...hope to see all you NY, NJ, CT, PA, etc. SoT fans on October 1st!!

The Chance is a legendary place.

The last time I was there was to see The Mark Farner Band in 1987.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I've been in CA since 1990 but I saw quite a few great shows at the Chance. Hudson Valley has few better spots for live music, IMO.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Pete has some very good vids. I've enjoyed several. One in particular featured guests discussing Canterbury bands. After watching the vid I got the urge to dig through my Canterbury collection and play the cds for hours.