Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sea of Tranquility

Nothing beats the live experience of chatting with the people you meet at concerts and in our world we have what I've heard described as " the usual suspects". I have learned of some great music from other people I've met along the way.I have learned even more via prog websites and am grateful to all the fine folks who generate them> Thank You!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So I'm cool with that. I know Lorne isn't "not cool with it,"
    Exactly. When I say it's a waste of time, I mean for me specifically, not the many people who obviously enjoy these things by SoT and others. After a few minutes, I find myself antsy to listen to music rather than watching a fan talk about it. It just feels like a longer, more drawn out version of what we're doing right here, but without the ability to participate. What I think I need is to discover a band who I don't know anything about, but whose music I would love, and then these things might be of value to me. In the meantime, I'll read interviews and reviews, that's more my speed.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Martin's another guy who's reviewed a shocking number of albums over the years, in the pages of Sea of Tranquility, and I guess also on their website once the printed magazine stopped publishing. Also, I think, on the Perpetual Motion forum.

I think some of these websites like SoT, the forums (like PE, PA, and PM), and all the YouTube and FB stuff (in other words, all prog social media) have been taking up some of the slack from the lack of discussions at prog festivals and other live concerts. I know that's the case for me. One nice benefit of all this is that once we're able to have those large gatherings again, we'll have more social contacts to meet with in the meat world. I'll know Pete Pardo if I see him, I'll know Lorne (Progatron), etc. I'll recognize Ken Golden's hands from his videos where he squeezes hot meat. I think Pete's videos are partly just an expression of his wanting to be "out and about" in the social media world while he's unable to do so in real life. He's "that friendly guy who's always ranking albums and fantasizing about dream setlists." So I'm cool with that. I know Lorne isn't "not cool with it," this is just how I'm choosing to look at it.
    All good points. Along with the album reviews Martin has written an amazing number of books. I have probably read 50 to 75% of his books and they are all really well done. I met Pete at a NEARfest somewhere along the line and he seemed like a really nice guy. His tastes and mine are pretty close which is part of the reason I enjoy his videos as much as I do.

The eons are closing
    All of 'em signed inside cover.

I knew we thought 'alike' when I first read the original A Show of Hands and Signals reviews back in 1998.

Found great stuff because of these....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    All good points. Along with the album reviews Martin has written an amazing number of books. I have probably read 50 to 75% of his books and they are all really well done. I met Pete at a NEARfest somewhere along the line and he seemed like a really nice guy. His tastes and mine are pretty close which is part of the reason I enjoy his videos as much as I do.
    I like Pete's shows. He did a great one with Mike Portney where they ranked (all genres) top 2 LP sets. The ranking where simply a vechicle to disscuss music and their passion for it. I share this passion and often consider what are my favourte releases. Mike conveyed his was just a fan like all of us. If it gives me an excuse to talk more about my favourite bands, all the better.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Pete's a great guy. I only have seen a fraction of his videos but I did enjoy the Opeth and ZZ Top episodes a bunch. His fav Opeth is Sorceress, which I thought was a hip choice. His heart is definitely in the right place and imo any discussion of this type of nusic we like to listen to is part of the solution, not part of the problem.

I really like his channel. I've been subscribed almost since the inception (2014 or 2015?) and recall when he had only a couple of hundred subscribers.

Kind of like my own channel, which still only does, lol.

I echo the comments. Pete is a great guy and I get a kick out of guesting on his In The Prog Seat from time to time. How many of you remember when SoT was our sister site? Still is, I do believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I echo the comments. Pete is a great guy and I get a kick out of guesting on his In The Prog Seat from time to time. How many of you remember when SoT was our sister site? Still is, I do believe.
    I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "sister site" but I believe they still have a link to PE on their website.

I always thought the name Pardo was familiar during my early days of internet progging days. I somehow found Prog.net. I reviewed some albums and submitted them on that forum. Pete really seems like a good guy.

There was some overlap between PE and SoT, and we realized early on that we had a lot in common. So we did what we could to share each other's content. Duncan was part of the SoT staff back then too. We had the forum and they specialized in reviews. The YouTube side of SoT really took off thanks to Pete's tireless efforts and they have quite a viewership all these years later. Pete was on a short list of hosts that inspired my show too. He's kinda my YT 'sensei' and has given me some good advice in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I like Pete's shows. He did a great one with Mike Portney where they ranked (all genres) top 2 LP sets. The ranking where simply a vechicle to disscuss music and their passion for it. I share this passion and often consider what are my favourte releases. Mike conveyed his was just a fan like all of us. If it gives me an excuse to talk more about my favourite bands, all the better.
    Yup, I enjoyed that one a lot too.

Pardo's YT vids are not for me, and TBH often a bit shallow (for me, anyways), especially in the album ranking or discography overview.

Not only do I not care about his advice, but he doesn't seem to prepare them enough, spends too much time looking at the Cds to cite tracks or release dates, proof maybe that he doesn't know the albums in depth as much as he should.

But I'm glad someone does this kind of stuff and gets many views (though I suspect that it's mostly old geezers, as opposed to rookies that are watching them.

Duncan is not the only SOT member around PE. Isn't Neudorf also one of them, too?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Sea of Tranquility has been a Godsend during lockdown . I'm not a metal or thrash fan so skip those vids but the Hudson Valley Squares is always fun to watch and how they wind each other up.
    Martin Poppoff and I think the other is Steve Reid from the UK are the ones I always make a point of watching.

Jon Neudorf
    Um....yes I am.