Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Percy Jones on the History of Brand X, Tunnels, MJ12, Brian Eno and more....

Percy Jones on the History of Brand X, Tunnels, MJ12, Brian Eno and more....

Had a great chat with Percy today I think many of you will enjoy...

**For Episode #79 we caught up with bassist Percy Jones, best known for his work with seminal fusion group, Brand X. We discussed his early days playing with The Liverpool Scene, early basses and amplification and how he came to play fretless bass. The formation of Brand X is discussed next, including the years with Phil Collins of Genesis as their drummer. We take a look (via slideshow) at the different Brand X albums and Percy shares memories of each and we discuss various tracks and their inspiration, studios and album art. We also discuss his albums with the group Tunnels and his more recent work with New York based group, MJ12. We also discuss Percy's solo album, Cape Catastrophe and the possibilities of a new solo album in the coming year or so. Brian Eno, including his Another Green World album are discussed as well.

UPCOMING EPISODES-
    * District 97- Discussing their new live release, "Screenplay"- April 2nd.
    * The Evolution of Steely Dan- April 3rd A close look at the building blocks of Steely music and how it became more sophisticated as time passed. Music educator/pianist Bill Graham is my guest.
    * Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jazz Is Dead)- April 9th.
    * Marc Bonilla (Keith Emerson Band, Toy Matinee, Derek Smalls)- April 10th
    * Barry Andrews (XTC, Shreikback)- April 17th
    * Jack Hues- (Tony Banks Strictly Inc, Wang Chung, Illuminated)- April 24th w/co-host Rob LaDuca

Coming Soon! -
    + David Paton (Pilot, Alan Parsons Project, Camel, Kate Bush)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeO...63GQphg/videos
    Last edited by Sean; 03-29-2021 at 03:54 AM.

Great stuff Sean , so good to see Percy interviewed , recommend this interview highly and hope we get more music from him soon. He played a track on the Richard Barbieri release, recommended.

Just watched it. Kewl.

Percy is cool and it was interesting to hear his comments on the different albums. I met him in Ithaca after a Brand X gig. Does anybody remember that Tunnels show in Rochester 2006? Their live sound was amazing. Some people from this forum were there that weekend.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nice list of interviews going forward!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

- One of my favorite bassplayers!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Nice job!

I'm not a musician, so I skipped past the gear talk.
    I guess the elephant-in-the-room topic was not discussed.

No, I just feel that whole recent reunion is more of a footnote anyway and the brouhaha that ensued after it. I'm not interested in controversial topics (i.e. dirty laundry) on my show. Leave that stuff to some of my more over the top peers that enjoy hot button topics for the sake of views.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-28-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Another great catch Sean!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I admire that you avoid the confrontation stuff , refreshing and what’s the point ? Once again money/labels/pressure comes in . Was actually thinking of the Warner Bros/Jaco situation too . The artist wants to go one way , the corporate face another

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    I admire that you avoid the confrontation stuff , refreshing and what’s the point ? Once again money/labels/pressure comes in . Was actually thinking of the Warner Bros/Jaco situation too . The artist wants to go one way , the corporate face another
    In this case, it was the percussionist, Scott Weinberger. He's the so-called "corporate face"

Thanks, Sean. Percy can be an intimidating player. I liken him to Alan Holdsworth in some ways.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    In this case, it was the percussionist, Scott Weinberger. He's the so-called "corporate face"
    Not really. Weinberger was the guy who got the ball rolling, setting up the reunion so that he could play with his musical heroes, but the management is run by a guy named Norman Bedford. I guess PJ got fed up with whatever was going on and bailed. One suspects that Goodsall was a major part of the whatever, if his comments last year about "Jones and his midgets" were any indication. It was nice while it lasted, and it could be nice for however long the Jeff Berlin version of the band lasts, if it ever actually happens.

I guess I was pleasantly surprised at Jones' magnanimous comments about Giblin in Sean's interview; I'd always figured that there was some kind of hostility between the day shift and night shift Brand X lineups.

Still hoping for some new material out of these guys. Nice to hear that he's planning on doing something with Grohowski (who found himself out of the band last year for reasons not made clear) again.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 03-29-2021 at 03:19 PM.

I wonder why he singled out Running On Three as an example of a piece that he doesn't like?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I wonder why he singled out Running On Three as an example of a piece that he doesn't like?
    I love that tune.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

They should have followed up Moroccan Roll with an album called Fission Chips.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I would hardly call the recent reunion a footnote. I saw two of the shows and they were fantastic. Hearing the old material played with
    ferocity by these musicians was a treat, both times. It's sad Percy and Kenny are out. Real Brand X has to have John and Percy IMO. I'll still
    see any upcoming shows with Jeff Berlin, but it won't be Brand X. I sang a verse of Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah with Jeff at NAMM a few years ago.
    I doubt an upcoming Brand X show with Jeff could top that!
    Wonderful interview, Sean! Thank you!

Percy couldn't quite recall the particulars about the Masques cover photo apart from them having purchased a stock photo; here's a bit from discogs about the photographer.
    Chris Kutschera
    Profile: French journalist and photographer (1938 - 2017), focusing on the Middle East and the Kurdish people

Not really. Weinberger was the guy who got the ball rolling, setting up the reunion so that he could play with his musical heroes, but the management is run by a guy named Norman Bedford. I guess PJ got fed up with whatever was going on and bailed. One suspects that Goodsall was a major part of the whatever, if his comments last year about "Jones and his midgets" were any indication. It was nice while it lasted, and it could be nice for however long the Jeff Berlin version of the band lasts, if it ever actually happens.

I guess I was pleasantly surprised at Jones' magnanimous comments about Giblin in Sean's interview; I'd always figured that there was some kind of hostility between the day shift and night shift Brand X lineups.

Still hoping for some new material out of these guys. Nice to hear that he's planning on doing something with Grohowski (who found himself out of the band last year for reasons not made clear) again.
    That maybe true but I have had 2 Credible Sources tell me Scott is just as responsible for that shit-show.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-31-2021 at 04:30 PM.

WTF charges CD prices for a download. They could have sold many CDs during the lockdown of no touring. But chose not to. Ive seen them 2x. Making me see them again without Percy and Scott just to buy a CD is pure garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    WTF charges CD prices for a download. They could have sold many CDs during the lockdown of no touring. But chose not to. Ive seen them 2x. Making me see them again without Percy and Scott just to buy a CD is pure garbage.
    Guessing you mean Percy and Kenny.

Guessing you mean Percy and Kenny.

On a related side topic, does anyone have the Jones/McGill/DeCarlo stuff? How is it?

On a related side topic, does anyone have the Jones/McGill/DeCarlo stuff? How is it?
    It's been a while I listened to them (I've got 2), so I had to read my review of the 2010-album. Although Percy has his moments, it's very much Scott McGill who has the leading role. Sometimes heavy improvised, sometimes abstract introvert. The called themself Trio From Hell, but I suggested back then to make that "Trio From Hell & Space". Markus Reuter produced some symphonic soundscapes.
    I also have Debut, but never bought Third Transmission from 2015.