Thread: Happy Birthday Tony Banks

Happy Birthday Tony Banks

Anthony George Banks is 71 today, many happy returns. Hope we get to see him tour at least once more, last I've heard the Genesis European tour is still on for this fall.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Happy Birthday Tony! All that amazing music I still enjoy weekly. Seventy one, is is just me?, isn't too old.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I recently re-read “Chapter and Verse” so Mr. Banks’ unique approach has been on my mind. So many great melodies and chord progressions. I love his three classical records and his solo work in general. But he sure has an odd outlook on a number of issues.

This got me thinking about keyboard players, especially in prog bands. I am no music expert...but boy do I love his playing and sounds in Genesis. Is his playing "technical" (is that even the right word) like others we know and love? He doesn't wear a cape nor plunge daggers into the keyboards or play piano upside down...but his sounds are so essential to Genesis' music. Songs like "Cinema Show"...DAMN I LOVE THAT TUNE!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TONY!!!!!
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

A unique talent. His melodies and arrangements are the heart and soul of what made Genesis great.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    This got me thinking about keyboard players, especially in prog bands. I am no music expert...but boy do I love his playing and sounds in Genesis. Is his playing "technical" (is that even the right word) like others we know and love? He doesn't wear a cape nor plunge daggers into the keyboards or play piano upside down...but his sounds are so essential to Genesis' music. Songs like "Cinema Show"...DAMN I LOVE THAT TUNE!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TONY!!!!!
    Well, some players like Wakey and Rudress have more classical chops but Tony is quite skilled in that realm. I think his combo of skills are why he has created some great music. And he doesn’t fall into cliches as easily as Wakey or Emo.

The eons are closing
    its the "Banksian" chord arrangements progressions and choices that make him special IMO.

Happy BDay TB

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    its the "Banksian" chord arrangements progressions and choices that make him special IMO.

Happy BDay TB

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    This. Even in their simpler pop songs you can hear his unique approach. Genesis, while being a “sum of the parts” is most defined by Tony. No Tony, no Genesis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Happy Birthday Tony and thanks for the great music