Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A band album that does not bear the bands name. And the other way around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm right there with ya, Kim. I feel the same way.
    I third that.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw ABWH and distinctly remember hearing a number of Yes songs, my favourite was Close to the Edge. Clearly, that WAS YES on the stage.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw ABWH and distinctly remember hearing a number of Yes songs, my favourite was Close to the Edge. Clearly, that WAS YES on the stage.
    Not without Chris Squire it wasn't. Also, I heard that the ABWH album wasn't that good.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Not without Chris Squire it wasn't. Also, I heard that the ABWH album wasn't that good.
    The same argument could be made of the current Yes (remember the name) line-up without Jon or Rick. For me, it's still Yes. You should listen to the ABWH album, it's not the best thing Yes released, but it's decent.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Not without Chris Squire it wasn't.
    It was "Yes enough" for me.

Also, I heard that the ABWH album wasn't that good.
    You need to find these things out on your own.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    The same argument could be made of the current Yes (remember the name) line-up without Jon or Rick. For me, it's still Yes. You should listen to the ABWH album, it's not the best thing Yes released, but it's decent.
    At one point in time, I did want to hear that. I mean the epics, the Roger Dean cover, and most of the classic lineup. Then, I heard about the presence of many sessions(is Rick even on this one?). So, I'll pass.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Bob Weir's Ace is a Grateful Dead album that just happens to have Weir taking all the lead vocals.
    Just wondering (I haven't heard the album, or maybe only heard a few tracks), did it also have to do with Weir writing more of the material, or making decisions as to went on the album?

If a band that usually had vocals released an all instrumental album, would you still consider it to be by that band? For example, if Genesis had done an all instrumental album before Lamb, and Gabriel only played flute and tambourine, would you consider it to be a Genesis album?

BTW, don't know if anyone can confirm this, but someone told me long ago that Jacques Cousteau, or someone close to him, wanted Rush to write instrumental music for a Cousteau film of some sort. If they had done this, would you still consider it to be Rush (I think this was around the time of Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures, not sure. If it's even true.)

Of course it would still be that band.

For example, Toto did the soundtrack for Dune - without their singer. It was still Toto - all of the other members were involved, they all wrote and performed on it. It's Toto.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just wondering (I haven't heard the album, or maybe only heard a few tracks), did it also have to do with Weir writing more of the material, or making decisions as to went on the album?
    Oh he co-wrote, I think, all the songs on Ace. I wonder if it wasn't something where there was an offer from Warners to do a solo album, and Weir just happened to be a rare place where he had an album's worth of original material (typically, Weir would have only two or three original songs on any given Dead album), so he went for it.

The weird thing is, I think nearly everything on Ace, at some point or another, has been played regularly by the Dead in concert. Similarly, most of the songs on Jerry Garcia's first solo album were also played regularly in concert by the band (though in Jerry's case, the album was recorded mainly by him and Bill Kreutzman, with Jerry playing all the guitars, bass and keyboards).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Of course it would still be that band.

For example, Toto did the soundtrack for Dune - without their singer. It was still Toto - all of the other members were involved, they all wrote and performed on it. It's Toto.
    I was just asking, because some people said Queen without Freddie Mercury wasn't Queen, and such.

At one point in time...duh, di, weedle-duh, arf! arf! John Andorsin was never in yes. Duh-duh...deedle
    Sweet Jesus, you're a moron.

SERIOUSLY.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Henry View Post
    Sweet Jesus, you're a moron.

SERIOUSLY.

Did I say that Jon Anderson was never in Yes? No, I didn't. I'm not a Jon hater. I love CTTE, TFTTO and Relayer as much as Drama and FFH. No need for name calling. Especially, calling someone a moron is uncalled for.

I was just asking, because some people said Queen without Freddie Mercury wasn't Queen, and such.
    Yeah, that's because we're talking about Freddie Mercury, one of the most singularly iconic lead vocalists and frontmen in the entire genre. Some people are completely irreplaceable, and Freddie's definitely one of them. Even though I ponied up the money to see the Queen+Paul Rodgers tour, I fully feel and continue to feel the Queen name shouldn't have even been used.

Kim, are you trying to tell us your new album has a personnel change?

At one point in time, I did want to hear that. I mean the epics, the Roger Dean cover, and most of the classic lineup. Then, I heard about the presence of many sessions(is Rick even on this one?). So, I'll pass.
    ABWH is my favorite post 70s Yes album. Just sayin'.

Dude, listen to the ABWH album and tell us with a straight face that's less of a Yes album than Open Your Eyes. Nuff said.

As was mentioned before, you can't go by what others say, you need to hear it for yourself. Better yet don't hear, listen.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-14-2013 at 12:46 AM.

ABWH is my favorite post 70s Yes album. Just sayin'.

Yeah, it's better than their latest that's for sure. It's a Yes album in all but the name. If someone wants to be anal about it then no technically it's not a Yes album but in sound and spirit(and that's what matters the most)it's more Yes than some of the proper Yes albums especially Open Your Eyes and even Union which was a bit of a sham with ghost studio musicians and what not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Dude, listen to the ABWH album and tell us with a straight face that's less of a Yes album than Open Your Eyes. Nuff said.

As was mentioned before, you can't go by what others say, you need to hear it for yourself. Better yet don't hear, listen.
    I just don't like it based on the stuff I heard about it(like Rick's keyboard parts being replaced). Actually, I do like Open Your Eyes better.

Yeah, it's better than their latest that's for sure. It's a Yes album in all but the name. If someone wants to be anal about it then no technically it's not a Yes album but in sound and spirit(and that's what matters the most)it's more Yes than some of the proper Yes albums especially Open Your Eyes and even Union which was a bit of a sham with ghost studio musicians and what not.
    That's your opinion. Fly From Here is great. I'm not saying that it's a five star album, but I think that Yes could've done a lot worse.

I just don't like it based on the stuff I heard about it(like Rick's keyboard parts being replaced). Actually, I do like Open Your Eyes better.

That's your opinion. Fly From Here is great. I'm not saying that it's a five star album, but I think that Yes could've done a lot worse.
    And you wonder why people call you a moron? You just said you haven't heard it so how can you like something else better than something you haven't even heard. Wow.

I wasn't trashing FFH. I just meant it's not really any more of a Yes album than ABWH(just like the others that I mentioned). The name that's stuck on the album doesn't really mean shit in the final analysis.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-14-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Banned
    And you wonder why people call you a moron? You just said you haven't heard it so how can you like something else better than something you haven't even heard. Wow.

I wasn't trashing FFH. I just meant it's not really any more of a Yes album than ABWH(just like the others that I mentioned). The name that's stuck on the album doesn't really mean shit in the final analysis.
    Well, I did hear some of it on YouTube. Based on the lyrics and song titles, I couldn't sit through an entire listen. There's mo need for name calling. You don't know me. Even if you did, does that give you(or anyone else) to call me(or anyone else) a moron? How would you like it if I called you names? Well, how about dumbass, numbnuts, or digital dork? Doesn't feel good, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Amon Duul II did that one album as "Utopia." Most ADII fans consider it an ADII album and it was included in SPV's Amon Duul II reissue series as if it was a regular item in the discography.
    That was not an ADII album. It was a Lothar Meid/Olaf Kübler project that featured some ADII members on some tracks. It was reissued as an ADII album because:

a) The Utopia name came to be associated with Todd Rundgren’s group, and...
    b) It would sell more copies with the ADII name slapped on the front.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"The world of the heterosexual is a sick and boring life." --Edith Massey

N.P.:“Arc en lumière”-Flamen Dialis/Symptome Dei

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Originally Posted by Dave (in MA)
    Welcome to the Canteen
    Good call. I still file that with my Traffic albums. I had to put it on when I saw the name.
    Does anyone not do that???

Did I say that Jon Anderson was never in Yes? No, I didn't. I'm not a Jon hater. I love CTTE, TFTTO and Relayer as much as Drama and FFH. No need for name calling. Especially, calling someone a moron is uncalled for.
    Niot that your intervention was funny, but it's notorious that yes fanboys have absolutely no sense of humour
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Kim, are you trying to tell us your new album has a personnel change?
    Subconsciously maybe because we do have to new people in the lineup, and i do fear an "it's not Anubis Gate without Jesper Jensen and Morten Sørensen" in the band" reaction. )Luckily comments on the choise of their replacements have been really positive.)

As to Yes. The difference between ABWH and FFH is that FFH is credited to Yes. ;-)
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

On the live front a few years back and until Dio died, Heaven & Hell (touring name) were as much Black Sabbath as the reunited Ozzy fronted Sabbath.

Dukes of Stratosfear IS XTC, albeit playing different music
    Avantasia IS Edguy, plus friends and special guests
    Dreamquest IS Luca Turilli IS Rhapsody - doesn't matter what album you pick up with any of those 3 names, it is the same type of music, same musicians, same artwork, same production, same composer (Turilli himself).