Thread: Listening to Youtube on android

Listening to Youtube on android

There are things I can do, and some things I cannot. One of my worst aggravations is trying to listen to something on You tube on my phone. So very frustrating! Most of my listening takes place while walking or working, watching is something I really can't sit still for, nor do I appreciate the video running on my belt holster or in my pocket all the time, ( Hey dude your phone is on! Take ear pod out and say thanks...duh.) As soon as your screen goes off, goodbye to all that. also can't visit another page because, right, music goes off. I'm sure I'm missing something and it is probably something really simple. But I'm just not getting it. Can someone please help? I can't even listen to Sean's interviews, (SOAL Night Live)which is really a drag.
    TIA guys.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Welcome to the club! What YouTube (AKA Google AKA Alphabet AKA "the big money") want you to do is pay $19/month for YouTube Premium (AKA unhobbled YouTube). If you want to do that...just Google it!) I think they still have a week-long free trial, or maybe it was a month? Or two weeks?). I tried it, and while it definitely made my life easier, it didn't make is $19/month-easier. YMMV. Oh, it also makes YouTube ad-free, but those two things are about it.

Another thing to know is that it only works when you are at YouTube.com, so not with embedded videos. I mean, it works, but you have to click the "Watch on YouTube" button, or copy the link and paste it into YouTube. Sometimes the embedded videos don't have that button for some reason.

For something like Sean's videos, you can definitely access them on the YouTube page easily enough and for a 90-minute viewing session or what have you, it's not a big problem. I wanted to watch songs that are embedded in a sub-Reddit, so for individual songs it was just too much back and forth between Reddit and YouTube, IMO. This might be confusing, but if you try the free trial (which I recommend you do), you'll see.

Oh, I was using iOS so things might be a bit different on Android.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-24-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks for the quick reply Jed, you must be sitting on the keyboard, Ha ha ( as Squids would say). But being retired I am not even considering any recurring charges for almost anything. I have learned to do without. Your mission, should someone want to accept it is to figure out how to do AUDIO on You tube, with a Galaxy S9 without having the screen on. If it cannot be done then as I said I'll move on to something else. There are too many fish in the sea, as someone else once said.

There's a work around in iOS that used to work for me SOMETIMES, but I haven't tried it in a long time, and iOS has changed a lot since then. Maybe there's one for Android. Good luck on your journey!

Remember to install the adblockers, etc.

I use Firefox on PC, both unix-clone (ubuntu) and windows - and see no adds, no interuptions, no waiting, etc.

Ironically, Google is your friend...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...he-background/
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

This is the one I meant. Doesn’t work for me using Safari or Chrome.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Generally I don't stream on my phone anyway, but I'm not sure I would want to use up my (not unlimited) monthly data to play videos in my pocket, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

This looks like it may work for me. Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Generally I don't stream on my phone anyway, but I'm not sure I would want to use up my (not unlimited) monthly data to play videos in my pocket, but that's just me.
    Maybe not for everyone, but I pay far less for unlimited everything from T-Mobile, than I was paying for limited service with AT+T.

I use the NewPipe app for this:
    https://newpipe.net/

On an Android phone, the free Youtube app from the Google Play store works much better than trying to stream Youtube through a web browser. For one, it's treated as any other video player, and will prevent the screen from blanking out.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    On an Android phone, the free Youtube app from the Google Play store works much better than trying to stream Youtube through a web browser. For one, it's treated as any other video player, and will prevent the screen from blanking out.
    I've been using that (the App from the Playstore) on my Android devices for a few years. I spend my life on Youtube. Music, documentaries, interviews, etc. I've heard whole discographies by bands I've I've always wanted hear.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Sorry I'm not understanding. Can I listen to the audio from You tube and have NO picture showing on my phone (just a blank screen)?

^^ If your screen blanking causes playback to stop, the last thing you want is your screen blanking. If you're worried about battery usage, you can dim the screen so it's barely visible.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Sorry I'm not understanding. Can I listen to the audio from You tube and have NO picture showing on my phone (just a blank screen)?
    I think on iOS the screen won’t shut off while YouTube is playing something. Unless you have low-battery mode on maybe. It would be really nice if free YouTube had an audio-only mode where the screen shut off right away, but audio kept playing.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I struggled with this for a long time, too. It works for the app I mentioned in post #11 though: switch off the screen and the audio will keep playing. You can search for youtube videos in the app or just go to youtube, long press a video link and choose "open link in external app".