Thread: Baba Scholae: ‘69’

Baba Scholae: ‘69’

Just discovered their amazing album ‘69’ . It was recorded in London in 1969 but never released at the time. 43 yrs later a former member of the band was moving house and found the acetates of the album and listened to them. They sounded so good that he managed to get a French label to release it.

It really is a classic of the genre - great songs/playing/production. Get the vinyl if you can.

A very good album featuring Jean-Yves Labat that went on to Todd Rundgren's Utopia and also had an excellent solo album as Mr. Frog.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Boy D View Post
    Just discovered their amazing album ‘69’ . It was recorded in London in 1969 but never released at the time. 43 yrs later a former member of the band was moving house and found the acetates of the album and listened to them. They sounded so good that he managed to get a French label to release it.

It really is a classic of the genre - great songs/playing/production. Get the vinyl if you can.
    Seconded.Well worth getting.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Banned
    This sounds very nice. And, it's great to hear something this "fresh" sounding 52 years later and not even think of uttering the 5 letter word, dated.

Thx...do you know who stocks the vinyl?

Banned
    Syn-Phonic has the digipak CD for $22. It's listed under France. Greg's still in the process of moving right now so you may need to have some patience when ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Thx...do you know who stocks the vinyl?
    Got mine on Discogs for about £35 Sterling

Definitely hear the early King Crimson influence. Very nice.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Awesome album, love it. But is that story true? It sounds way to good (prestine production) to be taken from an acetate (it even sounds to good for the 60s).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy D View Post

if this wasn't discovered until 43 years after 1969, why does the title of this posted video say "1984?"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    if this wasn't discovered until 43 years after 1969, why does the title of this posted video say "1984?"
    Because the name of the song is 1984- Melancolia Street.

I've had the CD since it was released, and the story the OG poster says is what's in the CD booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post

I've had the CD since it was released, and the story the OG poster says is what's in the CD booklet.
    I know I have the CD since it came out, but never really believed that story...

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Definitely hear the early King Crimson influence. Very nice.
    King Crimson's first album came out in October of 1969 so they must have been listening to them in the clubs or at the Rolling Stone's hyde park concert. Otherwise they heard "court" then rushed to write and record the album before the end of 1969. The latter seems less likely imo. To be honest I don't hear that much of a KC vibe. The drums do have a rather Mike Giles sound to them though but beyond that I think any KC resemblance is probably more of a matter of coincidence than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post

Thanks, I was going to suggest that, but it seemed too easy!

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Syn-Phonic has the digipak CD for $22. It's listed under France. Greg's still in the process of moving right now so you may need to have some patience when ordering.
    Meanwhile, it never ceases to amaze me just how much stuff is on Spotify. Both '69 and the Jean Yves Labat album are on there. Of course, I'm sure they're on YouTube too, but Spotify is more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Awesome album, love it. But is that story true? It sounds way to good (prestine production) to be taken from an acetate (it even sounds to good for the 60s).
    I'm with you on this Herr H. The album just sounds too damn good for 1960s product, whether from acetate or even original master tapes. I've got so many CDs from this time period, remastered, remixed, whatever, and none of them sound this good. The clarity of the drums, the piano in the intro, the vocals, everything in terms of the recording sounds very new millennium to my ears.

Regardless, it is a good piece of music.
    Last edited by arturs; 03-27-2021 at 07:40 PM.

1984 - Melancolia Street (Reprise avec solo guitare) (Bonus Track)