Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fripp - Live - Again!!!!!! 3 U.S. gigs w/ Orch. of Crafty Gtrs

Anyone ever figure out if this is Free or not? The NYC show that is.

it's not free and it is sold out

Well there seemed to be some confusion about that since someone emailed the venue and they said it was free. I just emailed the venue and they said $25, but didn't mention it was sold out. I have seen the Brown Paper page saying otherwise. If I had some extra cash I'd try to get in, but this isn't quite worth it unfortunately as I'm currently out of work.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I just bought a ticket for Cambridge at the weekend for $25.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

i should be at the show in NY...i'm not sure if i'll be able to reacquaint with them but should be a good show if i can get in.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We're getting ready to stand in the court of Mr. Fripp on Saturday night here in Western Mass. In order to best prepare for the event, I just need a quick reminder...does Robert prefer to be photographed from the left or right?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    We're getting ready to stand in the court of Mr. Fripp on Saturday night here in Western Mass. In order to best prepare for the event, I just need a quick reminder...does Robert prefer to be photographed from the left or right?
    Be sure to thrust something in his face to be autographed.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Better do both just to be sure. And don't forget to flip up your flash.

Bless you if you like this sort of music but I've always found Crafty Guitars music to be just plain dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Bless you if you like this sort of music but I've always found Crafty Guitars music to be just plain dull.
    It's something that really has to be experienced live. And even then it should be heard acoustically and not through a PA to get the true effect. That's why that business of mingling with the audience is more than just a gimmick. All those guitars chiming together set up a resonance that is amazing in person.

Bought a ticket to Boston thanks to this thread (thanks!). Doesn't seem like a lot of people knew about this show, hence it's not sold out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Bought a ticket to Boston thanks to this thread (thanks!). Doesn't seem like a lot of people knew about this show, hence it's not sold out yet.
    Brett, if you see a guy in a Univers Zero shirt say hi.
    Ian

Stopped in at the church today...the woman there told me that they open/sell tickets at 3 for the show at 4...although she didn't seem too informed, guess that's what i'm doing.

Well that was rather nice, apparently a bunch of people thought tonight's even started at 7 rather than 8 so showed up early in a downpour. The band took pity on us and came out early to play some music at 7.20, quick 20 min set before the main event.
    Ian

Well, that was unique and wonderful. For 25 bucks we got the experience that people buy thousand-dollar surround systems trying to replicate.

It was definitely very interesting, it was part concert, part chaotic improvisation, part guitar exercises, part performance art. Weird and wonderful. At one stage they seemed to be playing John Cage - 4'33" as they passed a silent note around the 60 guitar circle for a couple of minutes.

It's always great to get out and hear some music and it was an excellent evening if a bit strange.

Thank You Mr Fripp.
    Ian

Yes, most of the show was instrumental pieces that made creative use of the performance space. There were also a couple of familiar tunes that I won't give away. Fripp didn't play much guitar but he was really playing the whole group.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It's something that really has to be experienced live. And even then it should be heard acoustically and not through a PA to get the true effect. That's why that business of mingling with the audience is more than just a gimmick. All those guitars chiming together set up a resonance that is amazing in person.
    This really did need to be experienced, very unique. The audience was rapt the entire time. And ten minutes from home!

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Pretty accurate assessment except there were only 60 guitarists.
    Ian

We had a lone but loud cricket chirping throughout much of the concert. Surreal.

We had a lone but loud cricket chirping throughout much of the concert. Surreal.
    CriKcetronics.

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes