Present - Triskadkaphobie

trigaux.jpg

Tracks Listing:
    1. Promenade Au Fond D'un Canal (19:15)
    2. Quatre-Vingt Douze (15:36)
    3. Repulsion (3:27)
    Bonus tracks on 2014 CD release:
    4. Dense (Live *) (9:55)
    5. Vous Le Saurez En Temps Voulu (Live *) (10:34)

Line-up:
    - Roger Trigaux / guitars, Fender Rhodes
    - Alain Rochette / Yamaha electric grand piano
    - Christian Genet / bass
    - Daniel Denis / percussion

Here is what Bjrnar Lunde (AKA BJ-1) had to say about it on ProgArchives
    Present was the brainchild of Univers Zero guitarist Roger Trigaux, showing his compositional skills outside that band teamed up with UZ drummer Daniel Denis, bassist Christian Genet and the relatively unknown Alain Rochette on the keyboards. Trigaux's ideas for Present notably shows the differences from his work with UZ with a more repetitive and hypnotic approach to the music, but while still being dark and gloomy - sometimes even scary. Triskaidekaphobie was their debut album and proves these facts spot on, and remains one of my most favoured RIO recordings to be released at that time. The music is dark and atmospheric, hypnotic and repetitive, but never boring to the listener. Another difference between UZ and Present is that this album moves away from the chamber influences and uses electric instruments instead, but the material here is no less interesting and it is in fact very reminiscent of UZ's 80's albums stylistically. The opening cut, "Promenade au fond D'un Canal", is the best piece here and sets the album mood perfectly with it's gloomy opening before turning into frantic and challenging Avant-Prog delights until it finally slips into darkness and goes through a multiple of sections before returning to it's opening theme promoted with a blistering and intense guitar solo by Trigaux. It's a composition that has to be heard to appreciate properly but it's definitely one of the genres finest songs. The next cut, titled Quatre-Vingt Douze, is more varied and goes through even more sections, although it's more on the minimalist side of the album at times. Again, it displays blistering complexity both in terms of musicianship and compositionally seen, although it's not as strong as the opening cut. Not easy listening by any means, but along with the previous cut it have a lot to offer and stands out as perhaps the most interesting part of the album.

The final piece is a very gloomy and dark closer that gives the listener a chance to chill, but with goosebumps and a chance to think what the hell he just went through the last 35 minutes. Again a very odd track, but still it might be the most normal piece here. Throughout the album, the musicians provide some excellent playing. Daniel Denis in particular does some really creative drumming on all tracks and spices the arrangements up even further. His unique style displayed with both Present and UZ definitely makes him one of my most preferred drummers in rock. Christian Genet's bass playing isn't as notable but he backs up the music very well and provides excellent techniques when required. As with his bandmates, he is a very unique player that suits this band perfectly. Alain Rochette takes the main role in most of the songs with his sharp and precise playing on the keyboards and he easily manages to boost Trigaux's arrangements up a few notches, making the songs more clear and understandable. Trigaux himself textures the music with long, soaring guitar notes for most of the time, but backs up the rest of the band excellently when needed. All in all, the playing from the band and compositions featured here is nothing but admirable, and it all works extremely well. This is not easy listening by any means, but surely a must have if you like this kind of music. You might look on it as a masterpiece, or maybe not, but I think this album is the best in Present's discography. Their next album is no worse so check out that one as well, in fact Cuneiform Records released both of them on one CD in the late 80's so pick it up if you are interested. A complete meltdown of wonderful insane, beyond brilliant stuff! 5/5

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trane; 03-22-2021 at 04:55 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wonderful stuff.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Here's an idea: when the Featured album is a Cuneiform release, Steve posts a code good for one day so we can buy the download for $5.00. Yes? (BTW, I own this CD, but as usual, can't find it!)
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

A fantastic album that I'm still only getting famliar with, having never heard it before the most recent reissue (thank you again to Steve Feigenbaum and his team).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    (BTW, I own this CD, but as usual, can't find it!)
    Have you looked in the basement? The dog may be building a stash.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    My favorite Present in original form. (Although the re-release of Le Posion...would win due to the bonus disc)

Stellar all around.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Classic stuff. 'Promenade' is probably my favorite Present op track overall.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Here's an idea: when the Featured album is a Cuneiform release, Steve posts a code good for one day so we can buy the download for $5.00. Yes? (BTW, I own this CD, but as usual, can't find it!)
    Its an idea, but probably not a very good one.

I do not think any busy owner likes the idea that thirth parties decide what you have offer at a discount.

Roger had a fairly small body of work, for a lot of reasons, but the best of it matches anything.

This is one of the ‘best of it’

PS - please change the image of album of the day to match this.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Prsent - Triskadkaphobie

Present= Cadeau = Gift
    Present ≠ Prsent (Present Time )

Stirring, adventurous music here, that's for certain. Like Univers Zero, it commands the listeners full and undivided attention (and repeated plays) to fully appreciate. I love it that almost all reviews of RIO/Avant-Prog releases contain the obligatory warning "this is not easy listening by any means". Ain't that the truth.

Don't you think that they should have had the opening track clock in at 19:13 and the closer time out at 7:13? That would have been spooooooky...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Roger had a fairly small body of work, for a lot of reasons, .
    Well When compared in terms of quantity he is not so much behind Daniel Denis.

In terms of quality In my opinion ( yes I am fully aware I might be biased but still I am a rabid fan after all ) his later works are some of his best and that sets him apart from almost all of his peers.

^^^^^

Vertiges, one of his last pieces, is, imo, his masterpiece. So no argument there.

Have not heard what will make up the next album, so I can not comment.

PS : DD doesn’t have a particularly large body of work either, but it’s larger than Roger’s. And he actually retired 8 years ago....RT’s last album is, what, 10 years ago? 12 years ago? He was not a fast worker, as I said, for a number of reasons.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

PS - please change the image of album of the day to match this.
    will do ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Present= Cadeau = Gift
    Present ≠ Prsent (Present Time )
    Same problem for Univers(e) Zro

AFAIK, this was always left for interprtation

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    In terms of quality In my opinion ( yes I am fully aware I might be biased but still I am a rabid fan after all ) his later works are some of his best and that sets him apart from almost all of his peers.
    I hesitated between featuring this one or N6 or barbaro.

Will feature the other one soon, since there hasn't been a Present featured album on PE 3.0
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    AFAIK, this was always left for interprtation
    Not true. Was always meant as cadeau if he was asked.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Never knew this.
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

Vertiges, one of his last pieces, is, imo, his masterpiece.
    Absolutely.

I changed the artwork in the OP, and hopefully the above the forum menu, it will change too.

Well, in either case (gift or not absent), in french, Prsent takes an "accent aigu".

But whatever, I fixed it in the OP, but didn't give me the opportunity to fix the thread title.

So, that's it for this classic?
    10 people / 19 posts.

["Oh, yeah, I want to reissue the Deus Ex Machina catalog, you betcha....", muttered grumpily under my breath for the benefit of Mr McFee]
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Question: This version of Dense seems to be recorded before the UZ version.
    Whats the story (if any)?

Love it. Always did.

Love Fou even a tad more. Got that one first. On vinyl.

This stuff hasn't aged. It's vital and fatal at the same time.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yeah...broke this out for the first time in a while shortly after he passed. What an intense, wild ride
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

So, that's it for this classic?
    10 people / 19 posts.

["Oh, yeah, I want to reissue the Deus Ex Machina catalog, you betcha....", muttered grumpily under my breath for the benefit of Mr McFee]
    LOL. Well I have to pick these up, because I still have the 2-on-1.

I recently went through the discography for obvious reasons... Promenade is the piece that I can't get out of my head days later.
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

Great album but my favourite Present albums are last two. Hopefully the final one will match those!
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Great album but my favourite Present albums are last two. Hopefully the final one will match those!
    My favorite is definitely Babaro.

Maybe Le Poison comes in at #2

Maybe Triskaidekaphobie comes in a #3.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com