Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very First CD Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    My first player was a Sony discman d-100. Probably in 1986.....
    When I was deployed aboard a carrier in the summer of '87, one of my shop-mates borrowed a friend's Discman, and CD copy of 90125. He dubbed the CD to cassette, then returned both to his friend.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I never owned a CD player that held multiple disks. I remember the ones with a big disk that rotated and played each disk. Those seem so funny now. Right now I play my CDs on Blu-Ray players, but I find myself wanting to buy a dedicated CD player, or at last one with a larger display. My first CD player was really good. You could change the display to show time remaining or elapsed time, which was pretty handy. It was also highly programmable, which I don't think I'd use much now, but occasionally would definitely like that again.
    My first "proper" CD player was a 5-disc carousel player. It came with my first surround sound system: a Kenwood complete with receiver, said CD player, speakers with passive sub-woofer, and color coded speaker wires to make sure dummies didn't misconnect it. I bought the system because it fit my budget, not because it was the best thing I could've bought. The alternative would've been one of those all-in-one systems, which at the time were even crappier than they are now.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember I bought my copies of Pendragon's "The World" and King Crimson's "Thrack" at the same Sam Goody store. Randomness!
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Ember
    First CD was probably "Brothers in Arms," along with some Billy Joel title to help my wife feel included. I was fascinated by the all-digital cachet of the Straits release. And it is indeed a great record. I played it on an early Magnavox that was the first sub-$200 player I saw on sale. I soon graduated to Pioneer multidisc cartridge players, then to Technics changers. To this day I only use my turntable for digitizing LPs.

In 1988 I wasn't ready to switch to cds, but my wife bought me a cd player for my birthday. We went to the nearby Licorice Pizza and each picked out a cd. I picked Honeymoon Suite- Racing After Midnight and she picked INXS- Kick. I still have that cd and a heck of a lot more.

Oddly enough the arrival of the CD in my life might have revived my interest in rock music; because from 83 until 90, I was mainly into jazz (discovering . both JR/F of the 70's and Modal jazz of the 60's). But at the same time, while still living in North Am (until 90), I totally snobbed CD, though there would be +/- a two years period when I dealt with both mediums at my reentry of the old world. I returned back on the right side of the pond in early 1990, having left whatever was left of my vinyl collection at a friend's house in Toronto, but when I discovered Belgium's great library system (that I still use once in a while, despite being almost comatosed nowadays), I first started borrowing vinyls to play on my recently-departed granfather's 70's hi-fi, but the state of the borrowed albums left a lot to be desired (scratched to death), so in the course of 91, I bought a second-hand CD deck (Panasonic if memory serves) and started borrowing recently-released CDs (Nirvana, RHCP, Kravitz, Neil Young, etc).

When such Nordic stuff like Anglagard, Landberk, Tangle Edge and Anekdoten arrived (or came to my attention), I ditched my grandad's Hi-Fi (average stuff barely standing on its last leg), I went to a hi-end HiFi shop and bought my a Yammie (for the Yamaha familiar) chain with a CD deckwith no turntable, but still with a cassette deck. And of course, I started buying CDs (namely the ones I mentionned), but it could be the first one I bought would be Achtung Baby or Outback's Dance The Devil Away or an Ozric album (wouldn't which one, though)

Somehow, buying my first CD in 91/92 (not even really sure exactly when) didn't mark me nearly as much as my first vinyls back in 74(I can still remember the first 10 LPs i bought and in which order >> hell with a calendar, I probably could find the precise day I bought Crime Of The Century or Harmonium's debut))
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just found my first CD player....this thing was a beast! I could hook it up to my old man's big system too. Couldn't believe no crackles and pops - now I am back to being a vinyl snob. Life is phunny.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

BTW, Lou Ottens (the cassette inventor) also had plenty to with the advent of CDs, I heard this w-e. His death was actually fairly big news here, since Phillips is situated in Eindhoven (10 kms away from Belgium) and an important part of their development was in Hasselt (in Belgium's Limburg province)

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My first CD was Scatterbrain Scamboogery in the late 90s, real cheap from a thrift store.
    Hey I remember borrowing their first album way back then when trying to find other stuff like RHCP around 90/91/92

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I resisted buying a CD player as long as I could, but great stuff started coming out that *I thought* was CD-only.
    TBH, once I strated with CDs, and was won-over instantly by the user-friendliness, I stopped caring for vinyls, even if I was always aware that a lot of albums were still getting a (very limited) vinyl release - usually for the UK inside market.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    First CD was probably "Brothers in Arms," along with some Billy Joel title to help my wife feel included.
    I think that's the album that really converted a lot of rock music buyers to switchover to CD, because the album trounced the previous best album CD sales figure. It seems that it is because of the BIA's success that a lot of the industry decided to really dig in that direction and develop the Discman to comptete with the Walkman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Like others, I fought the conversion to CD. The first CD I bought was Jethro Tull's Crest of a Knave. I wanted the extra tracks, which it turns out I love. Also got their 20th anniversary box set on CD at the same time, along with a few others. But Crest was the turning point for me. Shortly thereafter, I liquidated all my vinyl and never looked back. Now, I'll go down with the CD. Not going back to vinyl, not converting to files. Plenty of music to last me a lifetime.

Bill
    Yup Crest is also one of those albums that drove many classic rock fan to switch to CDs. It certainly worked for my-then-GF's brother to dive in the ADD technology (as opposed to AAD)

I never acually got rid of my vinyls - despite still owning less than 10% of what I owned back in 88. Whatever I left at my buddy's house in Toronto, he sold 90% of it (without warning me first) in the later 90's at the best price he could (and I know he tried hard) , just keeping the ones he thought I'd really want to keep (good guess/choices too). I wasn't angry at him (I should've worried about it if I cared that much for it) and he needed the space in his new place and so we both went on a three day party with part of that money during my second-last visit to the Great White North.
    Last edited by Trane; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:41 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Level 42 - World Machine was it for me. Sometime in the late 80's. First player was a Sony bookshelf unit that could take multiple CD's (up to .. 4? 6?)
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

^^^

Trane, intriguing back-story of your CD/Vinyl acquisition history. For me, music always has a story behind it that earmarks developments in larger life itself. My first 45 rpm ("Walk Don't Run"), first 33 and 1/3 vinyl purchase, ("Another Smash", The Ventures again), the aforementioned Lyle Mays initial CD purchase, and, of course, first concert (The Beatles). Always enjoyable to think back on the ride it has been.

Good to read all the input in this thread.

Actually the only 45 I bought was In Dulci Jubilo, because that wasn't my version of Ommadawn.
    My first concert was Kayak and I suppose my first album was also Kayak. Not sure wether it was See see the sun or Kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Trane, intriguing back-story of your CD/Vinyl acquisition history. For me, music always has a story behind it that earmarks developments in larger life itself. My first 45 rpm ("Walk Don't Run"), first 33 and 1/3 vinyl purchase, ("Another Smash", The Ventures again), the aforementioned Lyle Mays initial CD purchase, and, of course, first concert (The Beatles). Always enjoyable to think back on the ride it has been.
    Only ever bought two singles (actually won one of them at a fairground shooting stand >> WAR's Low Rider) and I was extremely disppointed that Bob Seger's Night Moves had lost three minutes on the suingle version. So I quickly stpped with that.
    I only had three pre-recorded cassette (Foreigner's DV and Genesis ATTW3)

As for my first concert, it's difficult to say, because there were +/- 10 concert/year at my high school from 74 onwards played by local bands (Rush, Max Webster, Goddo, Rough trade, Triumph, Zon, Moxy, etc...)

Even my first major concert (out of school) is blurry (either Massey Hall or Maple Leaf Gardens), but my guess would beRush for All The Wrld's a Stage . The nutcases you can hear in the mower right hand corner of your left speaker is me & the buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I was extremely disppointed that Bob Seger's Night Moves had lost three minutes on the suingle version.
    I would have hoped it would have lost more minutes than that.

I was quite late to adopt CDs, I mean how could they replace my beloved records? Turns out that once the CD Walkman was ubiquitous, I couldn’t live without those little shiny discs.

I bought two CDs together to kick start my addiction; Peter Gabriel’s So and The Hothouse Flowers first album. A mate had put them both on a cassette for me, and I listened incessantly on the beach in Cyprus whilst on holiday. They sounded so clean and pure compared to my home made tapes, at least I psyched myself into believing, that I was convinced enough to invest in a new system when I got home. I’m currently contemplating moving home and puzzling over how I ended up with so many thousands of those self-same shiny discs!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    ...and I was extremely disppointed that Bob Seger's Night Moves had lost three minutes on the suingle version....
    I would have hoped it would have lost more minutes than that.
    Against the Wind would benefit from trimming a few minutes of repeating the title at the end.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Against the Wind would benefit from trimming a few minutes of repeating the title at the end.
    Yep, if he would have simply run with the wind...
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Around 1984, my older brother and I were at some retail "box store"... can't remember... he bought Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms, I bought Phil Collins: Face Value. I didn't own a CD player but he did (as well as a nice tape deck). I'd say my first 10 or so CD purchases over the next couple of years were given to my brother and he'd dub them onto a premium tapes, TDK HX-S or TDK SA-X.

My first CD was the same as my first album: Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon.

First 45 ever bought: "Pinball Wizard" b/w "Dogs Part Two"
    First vinyl album: Jesus Christ Superstar, and, at the same time, David Frye's Richard Nixon Superstar
    First concert: Chicago, Allentown Speedway, PA, summer of '72
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yep, if he would have simply run with the wind...
    Yes, I am not a fan of Seger's "Against The Wind" single, except for on particular line in the lyric, which is so hauntingly emblematic of life's many stages:

"...wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then..."

Peaches, Richmond VA. Late 1991 or early 1992, can't remember now. Bought Tangerine Dream's "Rockoon" which had apparently just been released and was completely unknown to me. Didn't actually own a player yet (freshman in college), so I remember taking it to the college library and using their AV equipment to dub onto cassette.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    "David Frye's Richard Nixon Superstar
    Just recently found my copy! Havent put it on again yet.....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

I bought Invisible Touch in 1986 at Lechmere the day before I bought my first CD player.

in 1987 when Sgt. Pepper was first released on CD I bought it from my local record store on release day and was interviewed about it in my local paper.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

I picked up three for half price in a January sale in WH Smiths whilst on a course in Nottingham in maybe 1987 or 1988. I can't for the life of me remember one, but the other two were Van Morrison's 'No Guru No Method No Teacher', and 'The Queen is Dead' by the Smiths. Didn't buy a CD player until about three years later, by which time I'd added the Van der Graaf Generator bootleg 'No More Heaven Gained'.

1986---the first three I bought were Atavachron, Chick Corea Elektric Band, and Flim and The BB's Tunnel.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."