Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very First CD Purchase

I think it was Jean Paul Bourelly: Trippin (1992)

- It has a rather harsh sound.

First two CD's I received was part of my 1988 Xmas present: first Ted Nugent solo album (which, I believe, came from the guy that my dad bought the second hand CD player that was part of that same present) and Grateful Dead Skullfuck (which my dad was "The first and last CD I'm ever buying").

First one I picked out was, I think, Triumph Allied Forces, which I bought with a gift certificate for Camelot Music, from one of my relatives (I think we had our Xmas family get together the weekend after Xmas that year, for scheduling reasons).

The first one I actually paid for was, I think, Talk Talk Talk by Psychedelic Furs, which I bought at Wax Stax.

And no, I don't have the longboxes for any of them.

I'm still trying to remember what my first CD I bought was. It'll come to me.

I was a Genesis collector (boots, pic sleeve singles, LPs, Memorabilia,) so when CDs made their appearance, I bought import CDs of Trespass and Nursery Cryme, despite not having a player. I still have them. Maybe 3 or 4 years went by before buying a player in 1988 or thereabouts. A Sony single disc player, but no other CDs purchased in the interim. My first CD purchase after acquiring the player was the Japanese issue of Il Balletto Di Bronzo -Ys, from The Laser's Edge.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

My first player was a Sony discman d-100. Probably in 1986
    As I recall, my first CD was a Phil Manzanera - Guitarissimo or Bill Bruford - Masterstrokes
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have no memory of this whatsover but I'm impressed with so many that do.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

1992. Brand X-X Communication.

Camel - Single Factor (at least one of my first ICRS)

October of '87. I bought two the same day I bought my first CD player. Trick of the Tail & Songs from The Wood.

I'm pretty sure it was Peter Gabriel's So and Paul Simon's Graceland. They were newly recorded at the time, so my thinking was...new technology, newly released CDs.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

A Decade of Steely Dan, Christmas 1986. My parents got Hot August Night and one or two other things I don't remember.

Like others, I fought the conversion to CD. The first CD I bought was Jethro Tull's Crest of a Knave. I wanted the extra tracks, which it turns out I love. Also got their 20th anniversary box set on CD at the same time, along with a few others. But Crest was the turning point for me. Shortly thereafter, I liquidated all my vinyl and never looked back. Now, I'll go down with the CD. Not going back to vinyl, not converting to files. Plenty of music to last me a lifetime.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Also got their 20th anniversary box set on CD at the same time

Bill
    I have the vinyl of that, still in perfect condition. One of the best box sets ever.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I was away on a Memorial Day weekend, around 1989, and when I got home I found my wife and (nominally) kids had bought me a CD player as an early Father's Day present.

As I had no CDs, this required a quick trip to the local Wherehouse to get something to try it out on. I settled for one "new" thing, and one "old" thing so I could compare the sound: REM's Green and Lou Reed's Rock'n'Roll Animal. I remember being utterly blown away by the sound of the latter, but all I'd had before was a cheap cassette. The REM was in heavy rotation until it disappeared, and I've never replaced it.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Cressida: Asylum. I didn’t even own a CD player yet, but I really wanted it, and vinyl was out of the question.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    i do remember the first player i owned - a Sony single disc player.
    as far as CD's, in and around 1988, i bought 6 at the same time at a place called Nobody Beats the Wiz as a result of a sale so there wasn't one in particular. at one time i could remember 3 of the 6 but now it's down to one.. Nursery Cryme by Genesis so at least it's pertinent to this forum.
    Man, I haven't thought of Nobody Beats the Wiz in a LONG time! LOL Now that stupid jingle is going to be in my head all night!

I never owned a CD player that held multiple disks. I remember the ones with a big disk that rotated and played each disk. Those seem so funny now. Right now I play my CDs on Blu-Ray players, but I find myself wanting to buy a dedicated CD player, or at last one with a larger display. My first CD player was really good. You could change the display to show time remaining or elapsed time, which was pretty handy. It was also highly programmable, which I don't think I'd use much now, but occasionally would definitely like that again.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Cressida: Asylum. I didn’t even own a CD player yet, but I really wanted it, and vinyl was out of the question.
    I just listened to that two days ago!
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

I got three the first time out. ABWH, Wind and Wuthering and Can't Look Away.

I still have a partial brick of blank cassettes stashed somewhere that I picked up at Nobody Beats the Whiz during their ill-fated expansion into other markets, which was shortly before I got a car that had a CD player, wherupon I quit recording much anymore.

The first CD release of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. It sounded like shit! Lots of high pitched treble with just about non-existent bass. Reminded me of a portable AM transistor radio of the 1960's. Didn't buy another until they perfected the analog sound. Many of the first CD's I bought in the mid-80's were similar. Just horrible!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Summer of '86, and I was between finishing my bachelor's in music and starting my master's. I was way into my music snob phase, listening to mainly classical and jazz. A teacher gave me the first Steps Ahead recording that was released on the Elektra Musician label, so I had to buy a cd player to take with me to grad school. I think the first one I bought for myself after that was Donald Fagen's The Nightfly. Still have them both and the cd player lives with my mom. Got a job at a record store shortly after that, and the floodgates opened.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I was kinda late onto the scene but remember Misplaced Childhood being me first

The day I bought my first CD-player (March 19, 1987) I visited my favorite record-shop and bought four CD's:
    - Mick Karn: Dreams Of Reason Produce Monsters
    - Philip Glass: Koyaanisquatsi
    - Clan Of Xymox: Medusa
    - Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here (yes, I was also disappointed by the sound of that one).
    I remember I later thought it was funny they all had a black cover.

I also got a couple of CD's to listen to at home, to get the right experience; Santana's Abraxas was terrible.

The year was 1987, I was living in central California and bought my first CD player, a Pioneer, through Fingerhut (Finger-slut) which cost around $400, iirc.
    My first three CDs, all new releases, were Allan Holdsworth’s Sand, Pink Floyd’s Momentary Lapse of Reason and Rush’s Hold Your Fire. Still got all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

I never owned a CD player that held multiple disks. I remember the ones with a big disk that rotated and played each disk. Those seem so funny now. Right now I play my CDs on Blu-Ray players, but I find myself wanting to buy a dedicated CD player, or at last one with a larger display. My first CD player was really good. You could change the display to show time remaining or elapsed time, which was pretty handy. It was also highly programmable, which I don't think I'd use much now, but occasionally would definitely like that again.

I've never owned multi-disc player either. I remember wanting one back in the 90's. I use either a DVD player or my computer for listening to CD's these days (I have a good pair of Sony headphones for listening on the computer). But most of my music listening now is done on my digital Walkman, which is kinda like a multi-disc player that can hold about 10,000 CD's at once. I also sometimes use my phone, linked to a set of Bluetooth speakers, to listen to stuff on Youtube.