Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Van_Rush_len?

Van_Rush_len?

I have heard from 2 separate sources that Alex and Geddy have been jamming with Alex Van Halen. Anyone heard that? THey were both Texas sources so it could just be one liar who started the whole thing.

I swear its not me.

That would be unfortunate. I never considered AVH much of a drummer.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I disagree, AVH is very good.
    That could be interesting. Might interesting to hear Alex and Geddy play with a different kind of drummer.

PS: I was gonna quote Joe Flaherty's line on Freaks & Geeks about Neil, but somehow seems inappropriate.

Density Cluster
    I disagree, AVH is very good.
    Jeff Berlin agrees with you, and specifically in comparison to Peart 🤷*♂️

If Alex and Geddy were to reform with any new drummers, I wouldn't have expected it to be AVH. Taylor Hawkins maybe. Or maybe a wish fulfillment like Simon Phillips or Steve Smith.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

That would be very surprising.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There aren't a lot of drummers I can identify just by hearing them play, but AVH is one that I can. I'm no superfan, but I do like his playing. Seems pretty unlikely, but they did share managers for a while, so who knows?

AVH is very good.
    I agree.

As long as Geddy and Alex don't rely on AVH for the lyrics, I think they'll be ok!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That would be unfortunate. I never considered AVH much of a drummer.
    I kind of thought that until I saw him live. I was pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    If Alex and Geddy were to reform with any new drummers, I wouldn't have expected it to be AVH. Taylor Hawkins maybe. Or maybe a wish fulfillment like Simon Phillips or Steve Smith.
    Depends on if they wanted to tour. Hawkins, Phillips, and Smith all are very busy guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I kind of thought that until I saw him live. I was pleasantly surprised.
    Interesting. My comment is not about his ability to play. It seems that so many of their songs had the same back beat. The second time I saw them (Diver Down tour), they did that silly thing with everybody banging the drums during his solo. It was terrible. In fact, that was the worst concert I've ever attended.

The first time I saw them (maybe '81), they were fantastic.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

As long as it's not Portnoy.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    As long as it's not Portnoy.
    I was gonna say the same thing! Actually, I suspect Portnoy has the ability to play stuff that doesn't sound like he's trying to "out Peart" Neil. I remember hearing a Neal Morse's version of The Real Me, where Mike was totally channeling Moon. So I imagine if Geddy and Alex said "Play anything, just don't play Neil", he'd probably be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So I imagine if Geddy and Alex said "Play anything, just don't play Neil", he'd probably be able to do it.
    Maybe. But would it be interesting?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Maybe. But would it be interesting?
    I don't follow. Assuming Geddy and Alex come up with some good material, yes, I think it could possibly be interesting. Why would Portnoy not playing like Neil make it "not interesting". I think hearing Geddy and Alex with a different style a drummer, maybe even a very different style of drummer would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Interesting. My comment is not about his ability to play. It seems that so many of their songs had the same back beat. The second time I saw them (Diver Down tour), they did that silly thing with everybody banging the drums during his solo. It was terrible. In fact, that was the worst concert I've ever attended.

The first time I saw them (maybe '81), they were fantastic.
    I only saw them live once on the "Different Kind Of Truth" re-union tour with Roth, so don't have a lot of live experience with him, but I thought he was good. As you mention though, a lot of their songs did have that same back beat to them.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I cannot imagine there is an ounce of truth in this. Yes, Ray Danniels, Rush's long-time manager, is Alex Van Halen's brother-in-law and also managed Van Halen after Ed Leffler died, but this doesn't really make sense. I can't see AVH making music with anymore for a long time after Eddie's passing (if ever) and Wolf is busy with promoting is forthcoming album. Their styles and personalities are too different.
    Chad

I wonder if this is where the rumor came from. This is a parody publication and the article was done as a joke: https://madhousemagazine.com/geddy-l...-tour-in-2021/

I'm hoping it's not Portnoy because it would take away from the Neal Morse/Mike Portnoy partnership which has given me more pleasure than any other duo in music history.

But it would be cool if it was Portnoy as it would spur interest in all his projects - past and present.
    The Prog Corner

I wonder if this is where the rumor came from. This is a parody publication and the article was done as a joke: https://madhousemagazine.com/geddy-l...-tour-in-2021/
    I'm sure this was the origin... But for me the possibility of an Alex Alex Geddy supergroup was just realistic enough that I could believe it.

The parody site also had some onion-worthy headlines, like this true lol moment: Tiger Woods Crash Caused By Frantic Attempt to Turn Off Bon Jovi on Radio

Kinda like the "Frank Marino was visited by the spirit of Jimi Hendrix" meme that circulated back in the 70's. Some hack writer in Canada wrote a satirical piece, based on the idea, and it picked up in the States, and I think even repeated in Rolling Stone (without proper attribution, naturally). So, 35 years later, Frank's still being asked by people if he was really visited by Jimi's spirit or not.

The eons are closing
    Re: MP

As long as Mike doesnt show up to a Blue Jays game in a Catwoman suit to impress Geddy....

In all seriousness, its a non win sitch using MP - too obvious; either too much like Neil or not enough like Neil; MPs never ending hype machine (see A7F era)....

Better to take a left turn, and go off the board.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Re: MP

As long as Mike doesnt show up to a Blue Jays game in a Catwoman suit to impress Geddy....
    Hahaha! Well-played.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    In all seriousness, its a non win sitch using MP - too obvious; either too much like Neil or not enough like Neil; MPs never ending hype machine (see A7F era)....

Better to take a left turn, and go off the board.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    I can see them going to Portnoy if they wanted another drummer that played so busily, but I imagine that, if they ever do record together again, it will be a mutual friend on the drum stool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally