Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL: New album "The Zealot Gene" nearing completion

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Wow. Still writing very wordy songs with no accommodation for his diminished vocal capacity. Although he did have someone (Goodier?) taking over here and there while he stopped to breathe.

Even the $350 version is boxed, but the book itself is clothbound rather than leather. I guess the $35 version is a simple paperback; not much info given there.
    I'm sure the lyrics are the same and I doubt it's a paperback, that's what I'm interested in, not the binding et cetera.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, Kcrimso, do you really prefer RtB over Stormwatch? You must, since you KNEW you'd be asked this question!
    Yes I do. I have never been very excited by Stormwatch. It is ok but it is clear that band was tired and change was needed. I prefer A to Stormwatch. But of course Roots To Branches is also better than A.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    I doubt it's a paperback
    You're right, it does specify hardback. I could have sworn that info was not there when I looked for it previously.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The $700 version is for the rattle your jewelry crowd, has a better binding, an auto and some of Ian's photography,
    Well, if it comes with a car, that's different.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Yes I do. I have never been very excited by Stormwatch. It is ok but it is clear that band was tired and change was needed. I prefer A to Stormwatch. But of course Roots To Branches is also better than A.
    A friend of mine was in Paris when Radiohead's "Kid A" came out, so he went to a record shop to buy it, and he was amused to hear the clerk refer to it as Kid "Ah," because that's how A is pronounced there. So it's funny to think that they call the Tull album "Ah" there.

I'm somewhat sheepish, ironically, in admitting that I have yet to listen to Homo Erraticus. But I found TAAB2 to be very flat and sterile sounding. I wanted to like it, but I don't really. RtoB sort of has that sterile sound, but it's the songs are better. But some of his solo albums are fine. How does Homo E. sound compared to TAAB2?
    In my experience, I GOT TAAB2 when I attended the concert and heard it Live. The first 1/2 they performed TAAB with a Video feed that gave a visual story to go with the lyrics. After the intermission, they played TAAB2....It was a revelation to hear the subtle differences in the melodies AND now I know "who the hell was Biggles!"

Homo E was understood too as they played the video feed again behind the band. I am a fan (small F) of Tull*. I lost the plot by the time Broadsword was released but TAAB2 restored my interest that continues to this day. Yup, IA's voice is gone. But the flute playing and compositions are still there. Ryan's voice patched the cracks in the tunes and even the vocalist in Martins band would work well....not a clone but represents the back catalog well.

*The vitality of the band members were gone and they were replaced by cardboard cutouts. You cannot remove Barlow, Evans, Glascock....even Hammond-Hammond from the lineup and not notice....1/2 the thrill of a JT concert was the band members stage presence! It was a Concert AND a Burlesque Show all in one!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

A friend of mine was in Paris when Radiohead's "Kid A" came out, so he went to a record shop to buy it, and he was amused to hear the clerk refer to it as Kid "Ah," because that's how A is pronounced there. So it's funny to think that they call the Tull album "Ah" there.
    My friends and I were always amused when we'd meet Americans in Toronto Rush concert lineups and hear them say "Y-Y-Zee". I'm used to it now, but I still notice it.

Re: TAAB2 - the one really cringeworthy moment for me is Ian's narration: 'I was no good on the rugger field...' - ugh. It's like he's reading a book to children. But listening to the album again, it's got some really nice moments for sure.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    For me the biggest problem has been his mediocre backing band. Nobody in the band seems to have any personality. Or if they have Anderson is not allowing them to display it.
    I agree with you. I don't think Ian want's to lose the attention of the audience to band members. I thought the same thing when I heard Fish with his band in the early 90's. This HUGE guy was brooding over the stage and was working it.....the band stood still and looked at their instruments all evening.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Florian O is a killer player if he's still with them....imo.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Florian O is a killer player if he's still with them....imo.

Jethro Tull@jethrotull
    ·
    Nov 1, 2019
    Sad to have to say that "young" Florian Opahle is leaving us at the end of 2019 after 15 great years of recording, touring and travelling the world.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Excited and scared simultaneously.
    This made me laugh! If Ian would only hand the vocal duties to someone else, new material would definitely be exciting. But I doubt thats going to happen. Its not just a limited vocal range he suffers from, he can't put much energy behind his voice either.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It's not the Anderson of 40+ years ago, but IMO he does just fine singing on his studio albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It's not the Anderson of 40+ years ago, but IMO he does just fine singing on his studio albums.
    Agreed.

His singing is okay on record on the last couple of albums but I find the writing has suffered since he can't write any melodies that require more than his limited range.

But more than that I find the playing on TAAB2 and HE to be competent but bland. Opahle is a fine guitarist and the others are all good but the arrangements seem by the numbers without the creativity that the band brought to the earlier classic albums.

And for me - no Martin, no Tull. The way he wove his parts into the songs just hasn't been happening on those records - I get Anderson's point that he writes everything etc but it's still not Tull without Martin.

I am always in for another IA/Tull record.
    Yes, the voice and the tunes are not as good as they once were, but his latest is still a pretty decent record.

Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    His singing is okay on record on the last couple of albums but I find the writing has suffered since he can't write any melodies that require more than his limited range.

But more than that I find the playing on TAAB2 and HE to be competent but bland. Opahle is a fine guitarist and the others are all good but the arrangements seem by the numbers without the creativity that the band brought to the earlier classic albums.

And for me - no Martin, no Tull. The way he wove his parts into the songs just hasn't been happening on those records - I get Anderson's point that he writes everything etc but it's still not Tull without Martin.
    The fuzzy line between writing and arranging has never been adequately addressed in the music industry.

The Band is another particularly good example. Sure Robertson may have written a lot of the songs but without Manuel, Hudson, Helm & Danko they'd never sound the same, as Ribertson's post-Band solo career has clearly illustrated, even wen he approaches a similar kind of music on How to Be Clairvoyant...I often wonder what that would've sounded like if he'd had his fellow Band-mates involved (sadly, of course, not possible).

I think it's criminal that Anderson has walked away with all the royalties, when Tull wouldn't have sounded like Tull (post-Abrams, that is() without Barre's contributions.

In many ways, I think that if a band is a proper band (and not a solo artist, say, like Bob Dylan or Randy Newman), there should be some kind of publishing royalty split with the band mates, if they've substantively contributed to how the music sounds through arrangement. Say, as a good example, pay the primary writer(s) 50% of the publishing royalties, and then split the other 50% amongst the band members (including the songwriter, but this time in recognition of his/her contribution to the arrangement, so the writer would actually make money as writer and as arranger).

That would still give the primary songwriter a fair advantage (and why not?), but it would also recognise that the band members absolutely contribute to how the music ultimately turns out.

Just my thoughts. I doubt it would ever happen. But until folks get it right like Robert Fripp, band members will largely and unfairly be overlooked for their contributions to how a song ultimately works out.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Say what you want, I consider us lucky to still have Ian Anderson composing new music and performing. His vocals might not be there, but everything else is. Well, musically speaking, at least.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I agree with you. I don't think Ian want's to lose the attention of the audience to band members. I thought the same thing when I heard Fish with his band in the early 90's. This HUGE guy was brooding over the stage and was working it.....the band stood still and looked at their instruments all evening.
    I can see how it might sometimes come out that way, but if you read Fish's extensive writings about his albums, bands, and tours, you can see he's VERY interested in who's in the band, their talents, and what they bring to the whole package. And of course, he often shares writing credits. Of course he dominates the proceedings, and there have been times when a few band members haven't quite worked out, but IMO he's had a good number of long-time contributors and comrades in the band. Frank Usher and Steve Vantsis immediately come to mind. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Frank Usher was his Martin Barre.

They've had at least two exceptional drummers (Barlow and Bunker) and If you recall Doane Perry was surrounded by a monster kid akin to Carl Palmer's in ELP, Scott Hammond uses a kit that my parents might have bought me for Christmas when I was 10, and we're Jewish! Do the math, Ian does not want flashy players, he wants the spotlight on himself nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Say what you want, I consider us lucky to still have Ian Anderson composing new music and performing. His vocals might not be there, but everything else is. Well, musically speaking, at least.
    You know?....I was thinking the same thing about Strawbs last night. My random playlist last night came to the Strawbs section and there were 52 YEARS of selections! And their last album was just released this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    You know?....I was thinking the same thing about Strawbs last night. My random playlist last night came to the Strawbs section and there were 52 YEARS of selections! And their last album was just released this month.
    It's remarkable how active Strawbs has remained! I listened to a "single" from their new album on Spotify, and it sounded really different from most of what I've heard of their music. So they continue to mix things up, too, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    If Ian relaxes a little and simply lets the guys rock out then I think this will be decent. As for the voice, if he just writes melodies to stay within his limitations then I think this will be decent.

Two big "ifs" I know. But I'm hopeful.
    "...lets the guys rock out.." lol - do these guys know how to 'rock out'"?!

I enjoyed the recordings (Homo Erraticus and TAAB 2) and the tours to support them.

However, the last time (2016) I saw this same band perform "Jethro Tull - a Rock Opera" it was a total letdown and the worst JT or IA concert I have ever seen. And I have seen lots of them since 1973.
    That "Opera" had no inspiration or personality whatsoever - not having Ryan O'Donnell and the other musicians as stiff mannequins showed it as they played a bunch of old disjointed JT songs in barely 80 minutes.
    Of course, Ian hardly can't do this delightful stage antics anymore, standing on one leg may be hard but not bouncing helium inflated balloons to the audience (lol) :-)

But even if the stage elements are a work in progress, I hope the new album will provide that missing inspiration in the studio as much as it will live (whenever that time returns)

Scott Hammond uses a kit that my parents might have bought me for Christmas when I was 10, and we're Jewish!
    The last time I saw Ian's current incarnation of Tull (on the 50th anniversary tour in 2018) I was in the company of two drummers, both of whom were scathing about Hammond's uninspired playing.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    the last time (2016) I saw this same band perform "Jethro Tull - a Rock Opera" it was a total letdown and the worst JT or IA concert I have ever seen.
    That's the one I hear the most negative feedback about. I'm glad I didn't go (actually, I haven't gone since 2008, I kind of slowed down or stopped seeing all the big bands around that time).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***