Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 81

Thread: JETHRO TULL: New album "The Zealot Gene" nearing completion

  1. #1
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,943

    JETHRO TULL: New album "The Zealot Gene" nearing completion

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-gene-1143216/

    75% done, according to Anderson, who seems intent on calling this one a Tull album. I'm not sure how it's any different than the albums released under his own name over the last decade-plus, to be honest.

    This news will have its lovers and detractors alike. Personally, I'm always happy to get some new material, since Ian can still write and he does so to suit his diminished vocal range. We shall see how things play out.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  2. #2
    Member Vic333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    213
    Assuming there's no involvement from Martin or other Tull alumni.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,269
    Excited and scared simultaneously.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,539
    Jethro Anderson would always interest me but I’m not holding my breath for another Songs From the Wood quality album.

  5. #5
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Jethro Anderson would always interest me but I’m not holding my breath for another Songs From the Wood quality album.
    I am not even looking for that - his recent albums have some fine writing imo. The problem (at least for me) is his vocals, which is no surprise. But of course I will give this a spin and maybe he will sing in a range that suits him.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    1,667
    If Ian relaxes a little and simply lets the guys rock out then I think this will be decent. As for the voice, if he just writes melodies to stay within his limitations then I think this will be decent.

    Two big "ifs" I know. But I'm hopeful.

  7. #7
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm not sure how it's any different than the albums released under his own name over the last decade-plus, to be honest.
    With the exception of Homo Erraticus, every "solo" album Ian has released since 2005 has had the name Jethro Tull on the cover anyway. So yeah, not much difference.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY sullenly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

  8. #8
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I am not even looking for that - his recent albums have some fine writing imo. The problem (at least for me) is his vocals, which is no surprise. But of course I will give this a spin and maybe he will sing in a range that suits him.
    For me the biggest problem has been his mediocre backing band. Nobody in the band seems to have any personality. Or if they have Anderson is not allowing them to display it.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    1,667
    ^^^ My guess is the latter, hence my comment above that Ian needs to relax for once and just let the guys rock. I hope they can have some fun with the material.

  10. #10
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    For me the biggest problem has been his mediocre backing band. Nobody in the band seems to have any personality. Or if they have Anderson is not allowing them to display it.
    Did you see any of the live shows with Ryan O'Donnell sharing the lead vocal duties? He had a TON of personality--terrific stage presence, almost overshadowing Ian. Unsurprisingly, he's no longer in the band.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY sullenly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

  11. #11
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Did you see any of the live shows with Ryan O'Donnell sharing the lead vocal duties? He had a TON of personality--terrific stage presence, almost overshadowing Ian. Unsurprisingly, he's no longer in the band.
    No I did not. My comment is based only on studio albums I admit that.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,615
    I wonder if the lyrics to the songs on this album will be in that $700 book. The blurb does say "Ian Anderson has gathered together the complete lyrics from all of the Tull and solo albums in one volume....Ian has combed through everything from This Was in 1968 to unreleased 2021 songs..."

    I'm not in on the lyric book but that would kinda be ironic if this oh-so-complete book came out just as a new album was dropping and the book was missing the lyrics to the new album.

    Also - in regards to the name - Ian has been dancing around this "Ian Anderson presents Jethro Tull" name game for the last few tours. In an April 2020 interview, Anderson said "If the show is all Jethro Tull repertoire, I feel that’s Jethro Tull. If you looked at Wikipedia two or three years ago, it said ‘Jethro Tull was…’ Now, that past tense has disappeared, due to some grudging acknowledgment that Jethro Tull goes on...I perform under the name Jethro Tull depending on the kind of concert it is...”

    I think that Thick as a Brick 2 came out as "Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson". I am sure he has realized, just as most bands do, that there is much more value in the band name on an album cover or venue marquee.

  13. #13
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,812
    I liked Homo E. and TAAB2 as much as Roots to Branches, so good to hear.

    I'd be willing to settle for a shorter album if he wanted to forego the spoken tracks this time around, though.

  14. #14
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,812
    700 smackers for the book!

    Cripes.

    I think I paid around $20 or $25 for Anthony Phillips' "Lyric Book", and that came with a CD.

  15. #15
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I wonder if the lyrics to the songs on this album will be in that $700 book.
    Says right in the article that they will be. The ones he's finished thus far, anyway.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  16. #16
    A song from the new album was performed live on the last tour

    https://youtu.be/a59adbDaups

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    700 smackers for the book!

    Cripes.

    I think I paid around $20 or $25 for Anthony Phillips' "Lyric Book", and that came with a CD.
    The $700 version is for the rattle your jewelry crowd, has a better binding, an auto and some of Ian's photography, there's a second version for $350 that has the auto minus the fancy binding and there's also the version I bought, $35 minus the photos and binding.

    The mark-ups are very interesting in view of the value given IMO (wink).

  18. #18
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    A song from the new album was performed live on the last tour
    Wow. Still writing very wordy songs with no accommodation for his diminished vocal capacity. Although he did have someone (Goodier?) taking over here and there while he stopped to breathe.

    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    The $700 version is for the rattle your jewelry crowd, has a better binding, an auto and some of Ian's photography, there's a second version for $350 that has the auto minus the fancy binding and there's also the version I bought, $35 minus the photos and binding.
    Even the $350 version is boxed, but the book itself is clothbound rather than leather. I guess the $35 version is a simple paperback; not much info given there.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY sullenly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

  19. #19
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    700 smackers for the book!

    Cripes.

    I think I paid around $20 or $25 for Anthony Phillips' "Lyric Book", and that came with a CD.
    .....and that $700.00 sold out in HOURS! So on the press release day it was already sold out.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,756
    I really loved Homo Erraticus so high hopes for this.

    Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,183
    I'm somewhat sheepish, ironically, in admitting that I have yet to listen to Homo Erraticus. But I found TAAB2 to be very flat and sterile sounding. I wanted to like it, but I don't really. RtoB sort of has that sterile sound, but it's the songs are better. But some of his solo albums are fine. How does Homo E. sound compared to TAAB2?
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  22. #22
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm somewhat sheepish, ironically, in admitting that I have yet to listen to Homo Erraticus. But I found TAAB2 to be very flat and sterile sounding. I wanted to like it, but I don't really. RtoB sort of has that sterile sound, but it's the songs are better. But some of his solo albums are fine. How does Homo E. sound compared to TAAB2?
    Roots To Branches is WAY better than TAAB2 or Homo Erraticus. In fact I happen to think that Roots To Branches is a great record. The best one Jethro Tull did since Heavy Horses.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  23. #23
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,943
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How does Homo E. sound compared to TAAB2?
    Roughly the same, although I think I like more of the songs in total. I could make a very good album out of the best cuts from both, and that would include eliminating the spoken word stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Roots To Branches is WAY better than TAAB2 or Homo Erraticus. In fact I happen to think that Roots To Branches is a great record.
    Absolutely! I've always liked it a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    The best one Jethro Tull did since Heavy Horses.
    I can't agree there. But interesting take. Now I'm in the mood for it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  24. #24
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Roughly the same, although I think I like more of the songs in total. I could make a very good album out of the best cuts from both, and that would include eliminating the spoken word stuff.
    Yes I agree, Homo Erraticus is little bit better than TAAB2.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  25. #25
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Roughly the same, although I think I like more of the songs in total. I could make a very good album out of the best cuts from both, and that would include eliminating the spoken word stuff.



    Absolutely! I've always liked it a lot.



    I can't agree there. But interesting take. Now I'm in the mood for it!
    Yeah, Kcrimso, do you really prefer RtB over Stormwatch? You must, since you KNEW you'd be asked this question! k RtB is pretty good, but I don't prefer it to anything that came before it. Actually, I might prefer it to CoaK. Tough call (for me).
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •