Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL: New album "The Zealot Gene" nearing completion

why now, is it going to be a Tull album because the material is worthy of one... or his solo albums weren't been taken seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    why now, is it going to be a Tull album because the material is worthy of one... or his solo albums weren't been taken seriously?
    I highly doubt it will be billed as an album by Jethro Tull, but I'm sure Ian will find a way to squeeze those words in no matter what it's called.

For the love of all things holy, please stop singing, Ian. It is painful to listen to. It has been painful to listen for a couple decades. Stop. Just stop.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    For the love of all things holy, please stop singing, Ian. It is painful to listen to. It has been painful to listen for a couple decades. Stop. Just stop.
    For all the joy Ian has brought to my life - it's substantial. I'm sorry but have to agree Ian should really stop singing.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    For all the joy Ian has brought to my life - it's substantial. I'm sorry but have to agree Ian should really stop singing.
    Even on studio albums you think? I listened to TAAB the other night for the first time in a while and enjoyed it much more than I expected. His voice didn't seem to detract from it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Even on studio albums you think? I listened to TAAB the other night for the first time in a while and enjoyed it much more than I expected. His voice didn't seem to detract from it.
    Not so bad on studio albums but live it’s a car crash

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Yes I do. I have never been very excited by Stormwatch. It is ok but it is clear that band was tired and change was needed. I prefer A to Stormwatch. But of course Roots To Branches is also better than A.
    As I recently said (elsewhere) RTB is their best album since Stormwatch (therefore both are much better than A), but at release time RTB I thought was the best Tull album since TAAB (yup, I was quite excited with it)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    A friend of mine was in Paris when Radiohead's "Kid A" came out, so he went to a record shop to buy it, and he was amused to hear the clerk refer to it as Kid "Ah," because that's how A is pronounced there. So it's funny to think that they call the Tull album "Ah" there.
    Actually that would-be Tull album is reffered as "Z" in the old world

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    In my experience, I GOT TAAB2 when I attended the concert and heard it Live. The first 1/2 they performed TAAB with a Video feed that gave a visual story to go with the lyrics. After the intermission, they played TAAB2....It was a revelation to hear the subtle differences in the melodies AND now I know "who the hell was Biggles!"

Homo E was understood too as they played the video feed again behind the band. I am a fan (small F) of Tull*. I lost the plot by the time Broadsword was released but TAAB2 restored my interest that continues to this day. Yup, IA's voice is gone. But the flute playing and compositions are still there. Ryan's voice patched the cracks in the tunes and even the vocalist in Martins band would work well....not a clone but represents the back catalog well.
    I missed those tours - not impressed enough with the IA concept albums to make the effort.

Good points and I think this was also the case for Roger Waters concept albums that were better grasped live on stage. That's the problem with those music-only concepts, it's hard to pass by a visual side if the shebam is a bit complicated.
    I really think that Ian and Roger should release their concept albums with amll the video contents added in a bonus DVD disc...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My friends and I were always amused when we'd meet Americans in Toronto Rush concert lineups and hear them say "Y-Y-Zee". I'm used to it now, but I still notice it.

Re: TAAB2 - the one really cringeworthy moment for me is Ian's narration: 'I was no good on the rugger field...' - ugh. It's like he's reading a book to children. But listening to the album again, it's got some really nice moments for sure.
    Well, I'm sure that in good'ol'Tejas, they'd notice a Canuck instantly when speaking of Zed Zed Top.

Not just Ian's narration... all narrations have always appaled me with two exceptions: VP in AC's BW and the narration on APP's tales.

But the worst narration ever is surely The Hare.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    I highly doubt it will be billed as an album by Jethro Tull, but I'm sure Ian will find a way to squeeze those words in no matter what it's called.
    Beit IA or JT, I'll pay attention, but certainly not expecting much... whether Martin Barre would be present or not.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I think it's criminal that Anderson has walked away with all the royalties, when Tull wouldn't have sounded like Tull (post-Abrams, that is() without Barre's contributions.
    I don't think he does. I've read an article where Ian talks about how he pays royalties to the other band members for pieces of the songs they composed. He's also said in the past that on some of the albums he left 'space' for the other members to add their own bits of composition (Usually Dee Palmer and Martin Barre!)

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I don't think he does. I've read an article where Ian talks about how he pays royalties to the other band members for pieces of the songs they composed. He's also said in the past that on some of the albums he left 'space' for the other members to add their own bits of composition (Usually Dee Palmer and Martin Barre!)
    I've read the same, Ian saying that some of the past musicians have nothing nice to say about their experiences working for him but they all cash their royalty checks without fail.

I've read the same, Ian saying that some of the past musicians have nothing nice to say about their experiences working for him but they all cash their royalty checks without fail.
    Of course they do. I have had some shitty bosses but I still enjoyed the money.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Ian's context (I read it quite some time ago) was that it was a substantial amount, and players like John E, Jeffrey H, Barrie B et al who last played 40+ years ago were still getting them (ie he's not the piker he's made out to be). Who knows?

I've been my own boss for more than ten years and enjoy the money even more.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Bit of a control freak one feels. Glad the Tull I saw in 2004 still had Martin on board. Anyway its good that Ian is still being creative, but sadly I can't think of anyone who's more creative in later life than they were when they were 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Bit of a control freak one feels. Glad the Tull I saw in 2004 still had Martin on board. Anyway its good that Ian is still being creative, but sadly I can't think of anyone who's more creative in later life than they were when they were 24.
    I can. Scott Walker.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Anyway its good that Ian is still being creative, but sadly I can't think of anyone who's more creative in later life than they were when they were 24.
    Interesting to compare the world of classical music, where a composer's later work is usually his most accomplished and enduring. Look at the final symphonies of Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, etc. But then none of them lived to be as old as Ian...
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Never saw a Barre-less Tull, but it's not because of a bycott

And yes, Artistes are generally at their best when still climbing aty the top of their game.

Two slight exceptions: Bowie and Le Grand Jacques (Brel) who made their best album their last.

Ian's context (I read it quite some time ago) was that it was a substantial amount, and players like John E, Jeffrey H, Barrie B et al who last played 40+ years ago were still getting them (ie he's not the piker he's made out to be). Who knows?
    He may be a Scot, but he's not Dutch

You'd think all these Tull alumni (including the uglily-sacked Cornick) would've appeared on Tull 25th Anniv film if they weren't getting their dues?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Now playing: Roots to Branches The track Dangerous Veils is pretty excellent, isn’t it? Martin kills on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That's the one I hear the most negative feedback about. I'm glad I didn't go (actually, I haven't gone since 2008, I kind of slowed down or stopped seeing all the big bands around that time).
    You sure made the right call on this one, a complete dud.

You can also say that by now, anyone who appreciates and has followed JT for decades, can see and feel the huge impact of NOT having Martin Barre.
    Not to mention past great players like Barriemore Barlow, Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond, David Palmer and Peter Vettese. And of course, Ian's vocalizing capabilities have clearly seen its past glory days.
    Last edited by Rajaz; 03-29-2021 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added text

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    You sure made the right call on this one, a complete dud.

You can also say that by now, anyone who appreciates and has followed JT for decades, can see and feel the huge impact of NOT having Martin Barre.
    Not to mention past great players like Barriemore Barlow, Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond, David Palmer and Peter Vettese. And of course, Ian's vocalizing capabilities have clearly seen its past glory days.
    Saying a 53-year old band was better a long time ago is hardly Earth shattering news, I'm glad to have been here at the same time as the Scottsman known as Ian Anderson, his music has been one of the highlights of my life, and I'll still invest a listen to anything he chooses to record going forward.

Saying a 53-year old band was better a long time ago is hardly Earth shattering news, I'm glad to have been here at the same time as the Scottsman known as Ian Anderson, his music has been one of the highlights of my life, and I'll still invest a listen to anything he chooses to record going forward.
    Yep. Ian is one of my fav musicians period. I file Tull music under "extremely, extremely special" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yep. Ian is one of my fav musicians period. I file Tull music under "extremely, extremely special" to me.
    Same for me. I can totally understand and accept that the new stuff wont be as good as the things he did in the seventies but at the same time I am very happy that he is still recording a new album. I am a bit shocked to read all the negative comments about it. He does not have to record new music but apparently he wants to, so bring it on! I'll judge when I hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    A song from the new album was performed live on the last tour

https://youtu.be/a59adbDaups
    Wow, if this is a preview of the new album it should be called "The Zealot's Green" .......... and he ain't gettin' any of mine.
    I just read about this on Rolling Stone today and thought this was an april fool's joke.

how is Ian's health these days?
    it was over a year ago he announced he had stage 4 cancer.
    he's still around, still singing, still performing....

You are mistaken, Ian is fine.

What ? I think this would be major news. I hope its not so.