Thread: The Anchoress -The Art Of Losing (for fans of Kate Bush, Tori Amos etc)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Anchoress -The Art Of Losing (for fans of Kate Bush, Tori Amos etc)

The Anchoress may not be a familiar name to some of you, but her alter ego, Catherine Anne Davies, has collaborated over the years with the likes of Simple Minds, Bernard Butler and Paul Draper, and she's become a very accomplished songwriter and musician.

She's been name-checked against the likes of Kate Bush and Tori Amos, and she shares that same independent creative spirit, but she's very much her own person and with only two albums under her belt she's carved out quite a unique identity.

The second of those albums - The Art Of Losing - is just out now on the Kscope label, and I've put together a brief review of the album to whet your appetite. Hope you find it helpful:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....f-losing-2021/

I have yet to hear the new one, but I have her debut Confessions Of A Romance Novelist, I must get the new one now that I've read that.

I saw her singing with The Manic Street Preachers a couple of years back at Wembley Arena, she guested on a few songs and was great. I also saw her perform as The Anchoress at Latitude festival around the time of the first album, it was a pretty low key early afternoon set on a tertiary stage, but she was intriguing
    And it was the firs5 I had even heard of her.

Looking back at my photos and I’m reminded that she also supported The Manics as The Anchoress when they played the Meltdown Festival at the Royal Festival Hall, it had quite slipped my mind. Our paths seem to cross quite often!

You should share your review with her on Facebook, she's quite approachable on there.
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 03-18-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm listening to The Art of Losing now, and following along with this piece from Prog magazine/Loudersound, where she talks about each track in order. There are videos linked in the article too, so I'll watch those when I finish listening.:

https://www.loudersound.com/features...-art-of-losing

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    The Anchoress may not be a familiar name to some of you, but her alter ego, Catherine Anne Davies, has collaborated over the years with the likes of Simple Minds, Bernard Butler and Paul Draper, and she's become a very accomplished songwriter and musician.

She's been name-checked against the likes of Kate Bush and Tori Amos, and she shares that same independent creative spirit, but she's very much her own person and with only two albums under her belt she's carved out quite a unique identity.

The second of those albums - The Art Of Losing - is just out now on the Kscope label, and I've put together a brief review of the album to whet your appetite. Hope you find it helpful:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....f-losing-2021/
    I just read your review, and I'm now very interested to check out the album!

I picked up the three disc limited edition set yesterday and took the opportunity to also get her 2020 release with Bernard Butler, I’ve only heard this one so far as it came with a download, and I really recommended it, some great songs on there.

I'm listening to this now and it feels like The Anchoress is one of those artists I'm supposed to like.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I'm listening to this now and it feels like The Anchoress is one of those artists I'm supposed to like.
    I had a similar reaction. It was named Prog magazine's album of the year for 2021 so I picked it up. When I listen to it, I think, yea this is good, but it is not blowing me away. A year later I still have the same reaction to it.

I'll check them out. I think anyone who likes Kate and Tori should aslo check out Emily Bezar. She sounds like a cross between the two (and I mean that quite literally).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'll check them out. I think anyone who likes Kate and Tori should aslo check out Emily Bezar. She sounds like a cross between the two (and I mean that quite literally).
    Yes love this album