Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CDs with wrong/sloppy track indexing

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Speaking of blunders. The first pressing of Aqualung I bought had the end of Wind Up cut off.
    Oh geez, Edgar Froese's attempts to make money off the whole Tangerine Tree project was frought with errors. First they put out the Bootleg Box, where the end of the first set of the Royal Albert Hall show gets cut off. Then came the Boot Moon series, the first two of which were Montreal 77 and Aachen 81. Disc two of each release got swapped, so that when yo ubought Montreal, you got the first half of Montreal and the second half of Aachen, and then when you bought Aachen, you got the reverse. I know there were more Boot Moon releases after that, but I never picked any of them, so I don't know how screwed up any of them are.

i seem to remember something funky going on with Black Sabbath's first album. i think it had something to do with the suite on track 3 - either NIB was listed separately or not listed at all. something like that.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Oh man, that pressing was a disaster. Lots of other glitches, too. But it reminds me that all the way back to the original release on Reprise, and on into the CD era, US pressings of Aqualung were always missing the opening riff from the title song. There are supposed to be two riffs before the vocal.
    the worst example is Deep Purple's North Am release of In Rock missing the Speed King chaos intro, because that was intentionally and unilaterally decided by the label - and even worse, the same disgusting choice was repeated for the CD reissues.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The early pressings of the 1995 remaster of In Rock were full of digital skipping errors on 'Living Wreck' and 'Hard Lovin' Man' cut off early. This was withdrawn/corrected (More here- https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa.../#post-5319355). Yet I somehow ended up with this dud copy new in store in the early 2000s. I did get the corrected one eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    i seem to remember something funky going on with Black Sabbath's first album. i think it had something to do with the suite on track 3 - either NIB was listed separately or not listed at all. something like that.
    I remember there being 2 different versions of Sabbath s/t. One with NIB, the other replacing it with Evil Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    the worst example is Deep Purple's North Am release of In Rock missing the Speed King chaos intro, because that was intentionally and unilaterally decided by the label.......
    Not to mention Warner Bros putting back only Jon's portion of the intro on the greatest hits compilation, Deepest Purple.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I remember there being 2 different versions of Sabbath s/t. One with NIB, the other replacing it with Evil Woman.
    I'm pretty sure the version with Evil Woman was the UK release.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So now we're talking about American labels chopping up and changing the Stateside releases? We could be here all day, just talking about what happened to The Beatles and The STones albums pre-1967.

One I always found fascinating was the first Duran Duran album. To The Shore was dropped from the original 1981 US release, to accomodate the inclusion of the "night version" of Planet Earth. Then in 1983, Capitol reissued the album with new cover, this time they used the same version of Planet Earth that was on the UK release, but now To The Shore was replaced by their Is There Something I Should Know, which was not their current single at the time, which had was recorded two years after the rest of the album (it was recorded after their next album, Rio, even).

Another good one was the first Uriah Heep album. In the UK, it's called Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble, and has a spooky cover photo showing David Byron covered in cobwebs. The US release had an eponymous title, replaced the cobwebbed Byron photo with a drawing of some sort of sea serpent, and the song Lucy Blues was replaced by a song from their second album, Bird Of Prey (in an apparently unique mix, from what i understand). Thus, when the US release of said second album, Salisbury rolled around, not only did it again have a different album cover to it's UK counterpart, but they replaced Bird Of Prey with a B-side called Simon The Bullet Freak (and they stuck at the top of side two, whereas the song that opened side two on the UK release, High Priestess, now opened side one).

Just remembered Fruupp’s Prince of Heaven’s Eyes. The Japanese CD smushed “Knowing You” and “Crystal Brook” together, and split album closer “Perfect Wish” into two tracks. And the Esoteric “remaster” wound up making the exact same boneheaded mistakes! (In addition to including a “single version” of “Jaunting Car” as a bonus track which is completely indistinguishable from the LP version!)
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

^The Sanctuary 2cd Fruupp anthology makes a hash of the same album. Whilst it doesn't claim to include everything from their albums, the compilers still made a mess out of what was included. I think some tracks are mis-titled and the last track from the album is only half as long as it's meant to be- it fades up halfway through or something. A pity, as it's a nice album!

They also hashed up Gryphon's work on an anthology called Crossing The Stiles. I could have done without the random track order, but the worst thing was the mis-titling of songs from Midnight Mushrumps. One song from that album which is listed isn't even on it. I think the recent Esoteric anthology also had something missing? (TBH I mainly like Red Queen... anyway, not so much the 'hey nonny nonny' trad folky stuff.)

Since we're straying a bit, does this count? It's not CD indexing, but look how they changed the track order just to fit. Also, they repeated the ending of the chorus on the closing track to eat more space.

Sacrilege.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ In the 70s, they also re-ordered tracks on cassettes, to keep the 2 sides as even as possible. Starting in the 80s, they simply left blank space on 1 of the 2 sides.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Since we're straying a bit, does this count? It's not CD indexing, but look how they changed the track order just to fit. Also, they repeated the ending of the chorus on the closing track to eat more space.

Sacrilege.
    It's sacrilege if one thinks it's sacred. For me, it is not sacred and I feel this track order works well. I might try it. Fitting that the Reprise is at the end.

And would it be less sacrilegious to keep the songs in the original order and let them be interrupted by the track-change noise?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    And would it be less sacrilegious to keep the songs in the original order and let them be interrupted by the track-change noise?
    I forget what they were by now, but for years after I moved beyond my old 8-tracks I still anticipated the CLUNK on some tunes once I upgraded to better formats.
    edit:Now that I think of it, one was the Zappa '77 Halloween King Biscuit that I recorded from FM.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 03-20-2021 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Another good one was the first Uriah Heep album. In the UK, it's called Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble, and has a spooky cover photo showing David Byron covered in cobwebs. The US release had an eponymous title, replaced the cobwebbed Byron photo with a drawing of some sort of sea serpent, and the song Lucy Blues was replaced by a song from their second album, Bird Of Prey (in an apparently unique mix, from what i understand).
    I think "Bird Of Prey" had the same backing track in both versions, but a different lead vocal and various other differences. At the end of the verses Byron shouts "oh no!" instead of singing "fly away."

In the 90's Skinny Puppy released a CD called Last Rights where every track change was about 30 seconds after the beginning of the song. I read once they did this intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    It's sacrilege if one thinks it's sacred. For me, it is not sacred and I feel this track order works well. I might try it. Fitting that the Reprise is at the end.
    It was a phrase. It may be my favorite album, but I don't actually worship it.

Moving "A Day in the Life" from the end is simply wrong and misguided. Especially, since the artists themselves decided the running order. It's like altering Mona Lisa's smile to make her a bit more happy to fit an irrelevant modern context.

It would and should piss off any artist to have someone bastardize their work like that.

It was a phrase. It may be my favorite album, but I don't actually worship it.

Moving "A Day in the Life" from the end is simply wrong and misguided. Especially, since the artists themselves decided the running order. It's like altering Mona Lisa's smile to make her a bit more happy to fit an irrelevant modern context.

It would and should piss off any artist to have someone bastardize their work like that.

Have any of The Beatles ever commented on this subject? I am curious if they even care as much as some of their fans do.

Have any of The Beatles ever commented on this subject? I am curious if they even care as much as some of their fans do.
    John Lennon:

We almost didn’t care what happened to the albums in America until we started coming over more and noticing like on the eight tracks they have outtakes and mumbling on the beginning, which is interesting now, but it used to drive us crackers because we’d make an album, and then they’d keep two from every album.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

FFS, I made simple comment. I'm not looking for a debate. Nor am I passively judging those who don't consider it offensive and inappropriate like I do. But, speaking as an artist myself, I would be royally pissed off if someone cut apart my work to fit into a predetermined box.

So, no, I can't say if they ever publicly commented specifically about the running order of the Sgt. Pepper 8-track tape. One can assume they, at the very least, rolled their eyes over it. They certainly didn't like the crap that Capitol Records pulled with the fake stereo processing and creating fake albums by extracting tracks from the proper releases, just to squeeze as much money as they could out of them.

John Lennon:
    Well, there you go.

FFS, I made simple comment. I'm not looking for a debate. Nor am I passively judging those who don't consider it offensive and inappropriate like I do. But, speaking as an artist myself, I would be royally pissed off if someone cut apart my work to fit into a predetermined box.

So, no, I can't say if they ever publicly commented specifically about the running order of the Sgt. Pepper 8-track tape. One can assume they, at the very least, rolled their eyes over it. They certainly didn't like the crap that Capitol Records pulled with the fake stereo processing and creating fake albums by extracting tracks from the proper releases, just to squeeze as much money as they could out of them.
    Very uptight responses. Chill out, they were just a couple of questions.

Very uptight responses. Chill out, they were just a couple of questions.
    I'm fine. It was the inference. If I misunderstood your replies, I'm sorry. I, too, would like to move on.

They did that to alot of records when they were released on 8-track. But at least not on the songs are carried across two programs. I remember reading that when they used to do that, ya know "fade out/clunk! clunk!/fade in", they'd keep the master tape running the stretch of silence there, so you'd actually lose something like 10 seconds of which song that fell prey to that. And "reprising" songs also occurred a lot too.

It is kinda weird that, though, that A Day In The Life would be on program 3 and not program 4.
    ^^ In the 70s, they also re-ordered tracks on cassettes, to keep the 2 sides as even as possible. Starting in the 80s, they simply left blank space on 1 of the 2 sides.
    My cassette copy of Jailbreak (on Mercury) has the songs in a different running than other editions.

I used to have cassettes of both Made In Japan and Electric Ladyland that kept everything int he correct order, except the LP sides were swapped around. As I recall, Electric Ladyland had side one and side three one side of the tape, and then side two and side four on the other. But in a way it kinda worked, because segued from the studio chatter at the end of Voodoo Chile to the sort of impromptu opening of Rainy Day Dream Away.

Similarly, Made In Japan had side ones and I think side four on one side of the tape, and side two and side three on the flip. I recall the last song on side two being Lazy.

Also, I remember the sides of Workingman's Dead being flipped, which I thought was a more effective setlist, with side opening with Cumberland Blues, and side two ending with New Speedway Boogie, rather than the other way around as on the LP or CD.

re the first Stateside Uriah Heep album:
    I think "Bird Of Prey" had the same backing track in both versions, but a different lead vocal and various other differences. At the end of the verses Byron shouts "oh no!" instead of singing "fly away."
    I've only ever owned Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble, so I've never heard what they did with the mix that appeared on the US edition.

Moving "A Day in the Life" from the end is simply wrong and misguided. Especially, since the artists themselves decided the running order. .
    I agree, I don't see how they came up with a track list that involves not interrupting any of the songs, but also puts A Day In The Life anywhere but at the end of program 4.

I never dug the "instant album" phenomenon, but is interesting. The Yardbirds had five Stateside albums, if you count the original Greatest Hits record (which had things that weren't on any of the other LP's), but only two UK albums (their British label never bothered to release Little Games over there). Even crazier than that was, apparently, Tower Records (the label that originally licensed the first two Pink Floyd LP's for North American release), apparently intended to pull the same stunt with Pink Floyd, as they cut a couple songs from Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (while also adding See Emily Play), but apparently that plan didn't pan out.

The one that really burned my britches, though, was the Rolling Stones' Flowers, which came out during the gap between Between The Buttons and Satanic Majesties. In the first place, it opens when the same two songs, Ruby Tuesday and Let's Spend The Night Together, that London Records added to the US edition of Between The Buttons. Secondly, as far as I know, it's still the only release that features the excellent Ride On Baby, which in the pre-digital era, the only way you could hear that song was to buy this wishy-washy thrown together thing, and if you were outside North America, that meant buying an import. I never even knew Ride On Baby existed until about 11 or 12 years ago, when I downloaded songs that were exclusive to Flowers from Amazon and burned my own CD that combined that, plus the UK edition of Between The Buttons and both sides of the Ruby Tuesday/Let's Spend The Night Together and Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadows singles. That was absolutely mindboggling to me, being a Stones fan for 30 something years, and to hear that song for the very first time! Then again, that was the first time I really heard Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadows (which I might have heard once or twice on the radio back in the 80's), because I never had any of the compilations that one was on, either.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I've only ever owned Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble, so I've never heard what they did with the mix that appeared on the US edition.