Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CDs with wrong/sloppy track indexing

my Yesshows is on one CD instead of two.
    the package listed 2 CD's, but there was only one.
    i first thought the 2nd disc was missing,
    but the entire program was on one CD.
    it featured the 4 sides of the vinyl-
    Ritual was split into 2 parts too.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    The one I have is a double CD, but it still has Ritual split in two. I believe the second track starts with the bass solo, which is more or less where the fade out happens on the double LP edition.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    No there are 2 second indexing gaps between each track. It's like someone never realised it was meant to run continuously. I have a 10cc album which has a similar screw-up, although only one track was meant to segue so it's not so noticeable.
    Bad burning job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A lot of CD-R authoring software has that as an option, sometimes as the default setting. Is it a CD-R being sold, by any chance?
    Yep.

Do a lot of deejays play live albums?
    Some of the remaining human Deejays play live tracks. Live albums? I doubt many.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Bad burning job.
    Yep.
    Nope. I can tell the difference between a pressed proper disc and a CD-R! The 10cc one was a genuine screw-up, I think. The ELP one is a mystery, although there's a review on Amazon UK from last year which mentions it so there are others out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    This one though is odd. My copy is a 2cd, even though it would fit on one disc.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Little Feat - Ain't Had Enough Fun. The music is there, the track changes are scattered randomly throughout.

Or, if the year appears, it is the year of the CD release and not of the original album release. Who cares when they put it on CD?

How dare I listen to '70s music?
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Those who catalog their collections on sites like Discogs and Rate Your Music.
    Agree, it's equally annoying when they only have the release year and not the original release date! Inexcusable!

The Lamb... was also messed up on the 1994 remaster. Track 3 'Broadway Melody Of 1994' is only the short interlude before 'Cuckoo Cocoon', where it should be from 'echoes of the Broadway everglade...' onwards. I don't remember if this was the case on the older Lamb CD. Funny how it seems to be the double discs that were screwed up.

At least the Virgin CGSD 1 version makes the cut at around the same point, leaving "Broadway Melody of 1974" at 0:32.

My Steve Hackett "Genesis Revisited 2" CD has gaps in songs where there were meant to be segue ways. Very annoying to listen to.
    Also , when I bought Peter Hammill's "Skin" album on vinyl when it came out in 1986, side 2 had the wrong track listing. In fact one of the songs , the opener of side 2) was not meant to be on the album, which was corrected after the first pressing. I have both versions and actually prefer the first one.

Somehow I never noticed. I guess I always play the full album.
    The only one I can think of at first thought is Broadway Melody on The Lamb

Quote Originally Posted by tdotdo View Post
    My peeve is with live CDs. It seems every single one I have puts the band members introduction to the next song at the end of the track for the previous song.
    That's a pain indeed. Can't believe the original producers let that happen when reediting to CD arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    CDs on which the track length isn't ANYWHERE.
    CDs on which no original release date is visible
    Agree wholeheartedly with both of these complaints, especially the former one!!!
    I solve the problem by writing them in myself, whether directly on the back cover in between the CD tray and outer shell , in the booklet itself or on a post it, in case everything is in black background.

As for the original release date missing, I can't help but wonder if that wasn't done on purpose to fool the buyers in thinking it's a new recording.
    Some decades ago, I've even found a few examples were the recording dates were purposely omitted in the liner notes or credits - when the rest of the credits are reproduced

Do a lot of deejays play live albums?
    Some of the remaining human Deejays play live tracks. Live albums? I doubt many.
    Classic rock radios doing Live hours specials??

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Agree, it's equally annoying when they only have the release year and not the original release date! Inexcusable!
    Shouldn't this be legally obigatory, though?

The Lamb... was also messed up on the 1994 remaster. Track 3 'Broadway Melody Of 1994' is only the short interlude before 'Cuckoo Cocoon', where it should be from 'echoes of the Broadway everglade...' onwards. I don't remember if this was the case on the older Lamb CD. Funny how it seems to be the double discs that were screwed up.
    I was always a bit confused with that sequence. The instrumental passage between Windshield and BM74: to which track does it belong?
    Before I got a CD reissue, I always assumed it was part of BM74 from my looking at the space on the vinyl disc itself. If memory serves, the vinyl artwork sleeve didn't have track lengths mentionned anywhere, because that's why I wrote them down on the lyrics sheets that served as inner disc sleeves.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

On one of Bruford's cds 5G and another song are listed wrong.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

A big recent blunder is The Heliocentrics screwing up their track listing with whatever is on the discs on their two 2020 releases Infinity of Now and Telemetric Sounds

Neither releases have track lengths either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I immediately thought of Balletto, so funny that was the impetus for the thread.

I also had a pressing of Gentle Giant's "Three Friends" that started the title track in the middle of "Mister Class and Quality?". Switching to the Line version got me the fixed index, original cover art, and what is considered the better sound (although I never bothered to A/B).

Wasn't there something about how the beginning of 'Acquiring The Taste' (the title track itself) was also botched on most CDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I was always a bit confused with that sequence. The instrumental passage between Windshield and BM74: to which track does it belong?
    Before I got a CD reissue, I always assumed it was part of BM74 from my looking at the space on the vinyl disc itself. If memory serves, the vinyl artwork sleeve didn't have track lengths mentionned anywhere, because that's why I wrote them down on the lyrics sheets that served as inner disc sleeves.
    I'm not altogether sure about this. I always assumed that was '...Windshield' itself and 'Broadway Melody...' started where the vocals kicked in but I have never checked the record banding.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Also , when I bought Peter Hammill's "Skin" album on vinyl when it came out in 1986, side 2 had the wrong track listing. In fact one of the songs , the opener of side 2) was not meant to be on the album, which was corrected after the first pressing. I have both versions and actually prefer the first one.
    As I recall it, the problem was that the bonus track "You Hit Me Where I Live" was missing from the first US pressing of the album. Instead, the epic album closer "Now Lover" somehow got chopped in two, with its last three minutes being moved to the beginning of side two where "You Hit Me Where I Live" was supposed to be. That was a serious botch job.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I also had a pressing of Gentle Giant's "Three Friends" that started the title track in the middle of "Mister Class and Quality?"
    Columbia (US) pressings always had that error, even the original vinyl was tracked wrong.

Wasn't there something about how the beginning of 'Acquiring The Taste' (the title track itself) was also botched on most CDs?
    There was a tape speed error that affected only the first note of the track.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Back to the topic of UK...

My copy of Concert Classics Vol. 4 only lists 6 tracks on the back even though there are 7, but all of the images that I can find online show all 7 tracks listed.
    The weird part is, this CD was discontinued at the band members' insistence quite soon after it came out--but there was time to correct the error in the packaging??

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Classic rock radios doing Live hours specials??
    Where did I make such a claim?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

BMy copy of Concert Classics Vol. 4 only lists 6 tracks on the back even though there are 7, but all of the images that I can find online show all 7 tracks listed.
    The weird part is, this CD was discontinued at the band members' insistence quite soon after it came out--but there was time to correct the error in the packaging??
    I notice that Discogs lists the corrected version, but not the original, as "unofficial"...whatever you want to make of that. Must have been a quick and dirty fix, as they didn't change any other typesetting flubs (such as the two periods after "website" which probably should have been a colon, or the line spacing error in the band credits).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I never thought to look directly at discogs. I was just using google image search.

And in such cases, it would be a radio show like the BBC Rock Hour or King Biscuit Flower Hour, not a hodge podge of live tracks assembled by the DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And in such cases, it would be a radio show like the BBC Rock Hour or King Biscuit Flower Hour, not a hodge podge of live tracks assembled by the DJ.
    The classic rock radio I listen to does one or two hours slots with only live tracks from plenty of bands

Quote Originally Posted by tdotdo View Post
    My peeve is with live CDs. It seems every single one I have puts the band members introduction to the next song at the end of the track for the previous song.
    They do that for deejays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That would make sense for live albums in the 70s and 80s, but it's still in practice today, with albums that have no prayer of receiving any sort of radio airplay.
    There is not one singular answer. One of the reasons live albums are indexed to start at the beginning of the music as opposed to the intro chatter is so the listener has the option to advance to the next track without intros getting in the way. Some only want to hear the music and not the speeches.

Speaking of blunders. The first pressing of Aqualung I bought had the end of Wind Up cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Speaking of blunders. The first pressing of Aqualung I bought had the end of Wind Up cut off.
    Well, if we’re going into cut off bits, prog seems to be a magnet for such things. Although the first thing to come to mind was Prefab Sprout’s Two Wheels Good, which loses the extra “scare chord” at the end of “When the Angels” present on the Steve McQueen version. Elsewhere:

• Beaver/Krause: Gandharva, the original vinyl had two minutes of ambient sound from the cathedral at the end of the album; alas groove/surface noise drowns it out. Every CD release fades out right at the end of Bud Shank’s last flute note, depriving us of ever hearing the ambient sound in all its glory.
    • Gentle Giant: Free Hand, some versions are missing the ending stinger (it’s on mine)
    • Gentle Giant (again): Interview, some versions are missing the “conclusion” interview at the end (it’s missing from mine. And funnily enough, my copy is the 2-on-1 with Free Hand!)
    • Tasavallan Presidentti: Milky Way Moses, CD release is missing the (Finnish-language) count-in at the beginning of “Caught From the Air.”
    • Yes: Fragile, I understand at least one CD version is missing the reprise of “We Have Heaven” at the end of “Heart of the Sunrise”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Oh man, that pressing was a disaster. Lots of other glitches, too. But it reminds me that all the way back to the original release on Reprise, and on into the CD era, US pressings of Aqualung were always missing the opening riff from the title song. There are supposed to be two riffs before the vocal.