Thread: The Marvelous One Has Left Us

The Marvelous One Has Left Us

Marvelous Marvin Hagler, one of the greatest Middleweights in Boxing history, passed away suddenly on Saturday at age 66. He was involved in a number of classic bouts, and was a regular on TV back in the 80s, when the sport was a staple on broadcast TV.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/13/sport...spt/index.html

RIP. The middle weight classes dominated the 80s until the Tyson reign of terror began. Hagler was a hell of fighter. RIP.

He retired..and stayed retired.Can't say that about too many world class boxers.

RIP.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

RIP Marvin Hagler

Died today at the too-young age of 66. One of the greatest middleweights of all time. Hagler Hearns was three rounds of the best fight I have ever seen and considered one of the greatest fights of all time.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

RIP. Hell of a fighter.

Truly a middleweight with CLASS---RIP

He was a beast.

Hagler vs Hearns, 3 of the greatest rounds of boxing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Hagler vs Hearns, 3 of the greatest rounds of boxing ever.
    All the more so because both men were all time greats.

For those who didn't see The War at the time...Bear in mind that although both were all-time great fighters, Hagler was a natural Middleweight, and Tommy was a blown up Welterweight. That Hearns pressed Hagler to this level was further indication of his greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    For those who didn't see The War at the time...Bear in mind that although both were all-time great fighters, Hagler was a natural Middleweight, and Tommy was a blown up Welterweight. That Hearns pressed Hagler to this level was further indication of his greatness.

Also, Hearns had hit Hagler right on the button, TWICE, and Hagler didn’t so much as flinch. And Hearns broke his right hand on one of the shots, so his right was longer effective. Later he said that after that, every right he threw was agonizing if it landed, even slightly.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Marvelous Marvin Hagler, one of the greatest Middleweights in Boxing history, passed away suddenly on Saturday at age 66. He was involved in a number of classic bouts, and was a regular on TV back in the 80s, when the sport was a staple on broadcast TV.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/13/sport...spt/index.html
    I didn’t see this thread when I posted my own. If the mods want to merge them or close mine, feel free.

Like Joe Frazier said to him “You have three strikes against you: you’re black, you’re southpaw and you’re good.”

And Marvin could fight with equal skill from either southpaw or orthodox and his switch from one to another was effortless

From the Guardian: As blood gushed into Hagler’s eyes, the referee Richard Steele was forced to call the ringside doctor to examine the wound. When asked if he could see, Hagler replied: “I ain’t missing him, am I?”

And...

To quote another of his famous observations about earning millions of dollars after being born into poverty, life had become too comfortable. “It’s difficult to get up to do roadwork at five in the morning when you are sleeping in silk pyjamas.”
    Last edited by Painter; 03-15-2021 at 05:01 AM.

It was a shame when they took the fight away from him when he beat Sugar Ray.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It was a shame when they took the fight away from him when he beat Sugar Ray.
    Agree, although it was a close fight, I think most people felt Hagler won.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree, although it was a close fight, I think most people felt Hagler won.
    They based their decision on who would be more charismatic for the boxing world. Hagler was the aggressor he whole fight.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!