Thread: For any drummers or sound engineers out there

For any drummers or sound engineers out there

how do you suppose all these gals who do drum covers actually remove just the drum track from the original mp3 (or whatever) so you can only hear them play??
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

There's these newfangled thingamabobs called computers. You should also check out this new thing called the internet.

I don't know how to take this question seriously. I might be a dick trying to answer this and I'll take the hit for that but I gotta think I'm not the only one questioning the question.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

always a wise guy.. i did look it up (duh) but there were no satisfactory solutions. they all seemed to only remove a portion of or lower the volume of the drum track which is not good enough.
    btw, i said 'drummers or sound engineers' so i you're neither why did you even answer?. didn't need the sarcasm.

Unevensong - Camel

I do audio production so not exactly the kind of studio engineer that records music. However, unless there are deconstructed versions of these songs out there (as I've seen bootlegged on occasion and uploaded to YouTube), the only way I know to do it is as oulined in the many tutorials that pop up when I Google "how do I listen to just the drums." It's not perfect and it requires trial and error and a lot of patient tinkering, but you can often get a good enough version where the drum track stands out enough. That is, unless the drummer has a really good ear and just listens to the song over and over again concentrating on the drums.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Izotope RX8 has a Music Rebalance plugin, which can do a fairly good job removing everything but the drums. I myself used it for a client at work, who wanted to play Jason's role in Metallica's Enter Sandman. I used RX8 to remove the bass, so he could do just that. I also used it to remix the Dixie Dregs Live in Connecticut DVD. Rod's drums were way too dominant in the original mix. After backing them off, the overall mix sounds far more balanced.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    always a wise guy.. i did look it up (duh) but there were no satisfactory solutions. they all seemed to only remove a portion of or lower the volume of the drum track which is not good enough.
    btw, i said 'drummers or sound engineers' so i you're neither why did you even answer?. didn't need the sarcasm.
    It just seemed odd that you hadn't found something that would do what you need to in this day and age when you can find some video that will explain how you can replace some obscure part on some obscure car, etc....

I still was a dick, sorry. I am a drummer, not a very good one, and just got it set up in the spare bedroom. All that brass I spent a lot of money on is so pretty. Mom doesn't like it so I can only play sparingly but damned if it ain't gorgeous.

This raises the question, why aren't there programs out there that do what you need. With all the computing power out there, why is this not a reality?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I do audio production so not exactly the kind of studio engineer that records music. However, unless there are deconstructed versions of these songs out there (as I've seen bootlegged on occasion and uploaded to YouTube), the only way I know to do it is as oulined in the many tutorials that pop up when I Google "how do I listen to just the drums." It's not perfect and it requires trial and error and a lot of patient tinkering, but you can often get a good enough version where the drum track stands out enough. That is, unless the drummer has a really good ear and just listens to the song over and over again concentrating on the drums.
    that was my problem with the hits my search returned - inexact and too much trial and error.

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Izotope RX8 has a Music Rebalance plugin, which can do a fairly good job removing everything but the drums. I myself used it for a client at work, who wanted to play Jason's role in Metallica's Enter Sandman. I used RX8 to remove the bass, so he could do just that. I also used it to remix the Dixie Dregs Live in Connecticut DVD. Rod's drums were way too dominant in the original mix. After backing them off, the overall mix sounds far more balanced.
    thx.. what does the RX8 actually interface with?

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    thx.. what does the RX8 actually interface with?
    It'll work either as a standalone app, or as a set of VST/AAX plugins compatible with any DAW software.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I have not a clue, but it seemed like a lot of the videos I've seen just have the person playing along with the recording, but the recording is at a lower than usual volume.