Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Power to Believe - 18 Years On

TPTB is, for me, the conclusion of the experiment that began with THRaK, in slabs of "metal nuovo". I'm unusual in that I really, really like TCoL, but I agree that it was much better lie - Heavy ConstruKction may be my favorite KC album, studio or live.

I haven't heard The ReconstruKction of Light yet. Is it really better?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    TPTB is, for me, the conclusion of the experiment that began with THRaK, in slabs of "metal nuovo". I'm unusual in that I really, really like TCoL, but I agree that it was much better lie - Heavy ConstruKction may be my favorite KC album, studio or live.

You've got the right spelling.
    I'm glad you're among the few that really likes TCoL. I love it. I have the Reconstrukction that comes with a CD and DVD, and nice packaging, but I haven't played it yet. I'll remedy that today.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I should add, Coda: I Have A Dream, is highly evocative, strikes me on an emotional level. One of my favourite modern day KC tunes.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 03-07-2021 at 06:20 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Listened to TCOL on YT. Not the biggest KC fan but I like it. Larks Pt. IV is loud, metallic, kinda sludgey, but I dig it.

Yes. By leaps and bounds. It’s much closer to the road-tested, live songs.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

As I mentioned above, I'm a huge fan of TCoL. I have sampled ReconstruKction in the past, but for me, something is just "off." It's terribly distracting.

Here's a Youtube example of Frying Pan. What the hell is up when the vocals come in? That just sounds awful to me. Maybe I'm so used to the original now I can't hear it any other way. But this just does nothing for me. There's a few other videos you can sample, and if it floats your boat... go for it! But I hate it. I'm perfectly happy with the original CD.

Bill

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    I honestly never saw what was so great about this or any other post-80s KC albums. I have tried. But considering how adamant Fripp has always been about not repeating himself, and always moving forward, I find this era of KC to be shockingly non-innovative. TPTB is simply a collection of KC tropes collected from the 70s and 80s, and presented with a bit more guitar crunch and a lot less dynamics and elegance. But they're all the same ideas from decades past.
    I am glad for people who are as enthusiastic about this as Red, but for me this doesn't come close to either the visceral power and searing beauty of Red, or the incredible elegance, invention and grooves of Discipline - although it clearly tries to ape both those albums.
    This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I liked TPtB better than TCoL but I agree, nothing at all innovative and it wouldn't have taken much to top TCoL anyway, IMO.

I honestly feel KC lost something without Adrian. A certain edginess, wildness and whimsical feel to the harder tracks and a kind of loneliness and melancholy on the quieter tracks. Then again, I live a life of constant melancholy so I might just hear that because I want to hear it. Bygones.

I will say that Adrian's crazed solo on "Level Five" is one of the best he did aside from his work on Discipline and with Talking Heads.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My favourite post Discipline album by them. Saw this tour in NYC, terrific stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I liked TPtB better than TCoL but I agree, nothing at all innovative and it wouldn't have taken much to top TCoL anyway, IMO.
    Glad to see there's one person, at least, who sees it the way I see it. I find all the accolades puzzling. And for all that they are obviously a great live band still, in any of their recent incarnations, I find it odd that KC has been reduced to just another legacy band, and their studio albums little more than mimicry of the KC of old. And I am not saying albums like TPTB are bad. Especially that particular album definitely has its moments. But the point of KC is not to have "its moments", raising memories of old glories. The point of KC is to be shockingly innovative, to provide musical lateral thinking. They haven't, since the 80s. Fusing Discipline guitar tapestries with Red-era riffing turbo-boosted by Tool-like aggression is not lateral, at all. It's fairly obvious, and Tool actually did that, already.

One album I did enjoy somewhat, not because it was innovative, but because it at least had some elegance and poetry, was A Scarcity of Miracles. Which I find kind of ironic, that it requred the absence of Fripp to do something more in the true spirit of KC. But hey, this is all my highly personal and subjective take on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    One album I did enjoy somewhat, not because it was innovative, but because it at least had some elegance and poetry, was A Scarcity of Miracles. Which I find kind of ironic, that it requred the absence of Fripp to do something more in the true spirit of KC.
    How is Fripp absent from that album?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

He's not
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The Scarcity Of Miracles is boring.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I dunno about that, but I've always thought that the presence of a large fish on the cover suggests that the true title is A Scarcity of Mackerels.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I dunno about that, but I've always thought that the presence of a large fish on the cover suggests that the true title is A Scarcity of Mackerels.
    Maybe I was a bit harsh, I played it 2 or 3 times, didn't like it, and moved on to so much better Crim music.

Well its not Crimson, and that is apparent, its a Jakko album
    Ian

I know. On the other hand, Jakko's, Bruised Romantic Glee Club is excellent!

I agree with this. There is no there there. For me it was something I wanted to like because it existed.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I’m in the “love it” camp. Need to give it a spin again very soon. Been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    How is Fripp absent from that album?
    Obviously not absent from the recording, but absent as the Big Boss.

Took the words out of my mouth. This one just wasn't for me.

Bill

I agree, I very rarely feel the need to play Scarcity.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Here's a Youtube example of Frying Pan. What the hell is up when the vocals come in? That just sounds awful to me. Maybe I'm so used to the original now I can't hear it any other way. But this just does nothing for me. There's a few other videos you can sample, and if it floats your boat... go for it! But I hate it. I'm perfectly happy with the original CD.
    I can see why you might not like it, but on this (and the other song I sampled, "Oyster Soup") the instrument separation is just so much better than the original that I think I'm going to order this soon...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    ... Frying Pan. What the hell is up when the vocals come in? That just sounds awful to me.
    The low-frequency pulsating effect in the background? Maybe a Gunn part that was mostly mixed out of the original, but made audible here.

I can see why you might not like it, but on this (and the other song I sampled, "Oyster Soup") the instrument separation is just so much better than the original that I think I'm going to order this soon...
    Cool, hope you enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The low-frequency pulsating effect in the background? Maybe a Gunn part that was mostly mixed out of the original, but made audible here.
    Exactly. I think it sounds horrible. Certainly for me it's tremendously distracting given how I'm used to hearing the song. It just felt like there were tons of moments like this. Hearing new things that I didn't want to hear, and not hearing what I wanted. It's just not for me. If others like it, that's fine. But I'm happy with the original release, warts (if that's what they are) and all.

Bill