Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Featured Album - Frank Zappa & The Mothers - The Grand Wazoo

Featured Album - Frank Zappa & The Mothers - The Grand Wazoo

http://www.progarchives.com/progress...01362016_r.jpg

Frank Zappa & The Mothers - The Grand Wazoo

wazoo.jpg

Tracks Listing:
    1. For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers) (6:06)
    2. The Grand Wazoo (13:20)
    3. Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus (2:57)
    4. Eat That Question (6:42)
    5. Blessed Relief (8:00)

Line-up:
    - Frank Zappa / guitars, vocals (3), percussion (4), arranger & producer
    With:
    - Janet Neville-Ferguson / vocals (1,2)
    - Ilene Rappaport ('Chunky') / vocals (3)
    - Tony Duran / guitar (1,2) & rhythm guitar (5)
    - Don Preston / MiniMoog (1,2)
    - George Duke / keyboards (3-5), vocals (3)
    - Sal Marquez / trumpet & vocals (1,2)
    - Bill Byers / trombone (1,2)
    - Ken Shroyer / trombone (1,2,3)
    - Malcolm McNabb / brass (1,2)
    - Ernie Tack / brass (1,2)
    - Ernie Watts / sax solo (3)
    - Mike Altschul, Joel Peskin, Earl Dumler, Tony Ortega, Joanne Caldwell McNabb, Johnny Rotella, Fred Jackson / woodwinds (1,2)
    - Alex Dmochowski ('Erroneous') / bass
    - Aynsley Dunbar / drums
    - Alan Estes / percussion (1,2)
    - Bob Zimmitti / percussion (1,2)
    - Lee Clement / gong (4)

Here is what Gpph had to say about it on Rate Your Music
    Last record Zappa cut from a wheelchair, after being thrown off a stage in London by a jealous boyfriend whose girl Zappa had no idea existed. The fall--ten feet into a concrete orchestra pit--did serious damage to his whole body and left him convalescent for the better part of a year. (If only the boyfriend had heard Zappa singing, “I ain’t got no heart to give away.”) Also, arguably, the last record in Zappa’s period of orchestral arrangement, which began with Uncle Meat in ’69. I’ve never liked this orchestral period much, but it undeniably showcases Zappa’s talent as arranger (new sounds for different-sized ensembles) and bandleader (unfamiliar faces for every new album).

The Grand Wazoo tells the story of Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus, the funky musical leader of a classical empire at civil war with “a grotesque cult of masochistic ascetic fanatics who don’t like music” (credit: Zappa’s liner notes). The two armies’ battles consist of each side blowing sounds at the other: the insurrectionists a kind of easy-listening pop, and Cleetus’s army a fast-paced funk that inevitably overpowers the other side. Cleetus wants to convert these people, not exterminate them, like Starchild just wanting to Sir Nose dance.

But, perhaps reflective of Zappa’s own limited mobility at the time, this music has about zero funk to it. I’ve said I don’t like this orchestral phase of his career: for me, the problem with Zappa arranging for big band is that he’s got all these brilliant musicians and they’re just playing note-for-note the parts he’s written for them, too precisely to even call the results jazz. His is the only creative mind at work. And I get sick of being in his mind, especially in the case of The Grand Wazoo, which is supposed to be funky. Like who’s gonna hear that quarter-note and unswung-eighths melody in “Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus” and wanna get it on the good foot?

To all this unfunkiness there is ONE exception: the tireless virtuoso Aynsley Dunbar, who missed being Hendrix’s drummer by a coin toss. (Think of that.) Here he outdoes himself. Right from track one (on the CD reissue, the title track) I was thinking they had two drummers. Almost every song is like that, but here in particular is a great example: my favorite moment in “Eat That Question” comes when the melody comes back rephrased toward the end (5:43) over a kind of military beat full of percussion. Very cool and surprising.

Some notes on tracks:
    - “For Calvin (and His Next Two Hitchhikers)”: The theme of extraterrestrial intelligence visiting Earth is one FZ would return to in one of the Mothers’ absolute best songs later on, “Inca Roads.” The topic is pretty far removed from his concrete social satire of the 1960s--and 80s.
    - “Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus” is so woefully unfunky that it’s irredeemable even by Dunbar. The only thing noteworthy about it, other than its shortness, is the fact that it features the same guitar tone Frank would use some on next year’s Over-Nite Sensation, which album is better than Grand Wazoo in just about every way.
    - "Eat That Question" features technically and theoretically impressive keyboard work from the late George Duke, whose R&B/gospel tendencies made him unique among Zappa keyboardists. He would go on to play with FZ for a long time. But in “Eat That Question,” those influences are pretty much missing, and I think Duke is just doing what’s impressive.
    - In "Blessed Relief,” George Duke’s solo is sort of undeveloped, and so is Zappa’s: just occasional rushing of the fingers over a narrow range. The horn solo stands out because it takes its time--but even it doesn't capture the melodic beauty of the head, which is composed. One ever-present difference between Zappa's compositions and solos is that the former contrast bizarre rhythms with space and beauty, whereas the latter are mostly bizarre rhythms, which tends to be less interesting. Duke does do a couple of nice things, though, the nicest of which is to develop a rapport with Dunbar during his solo: they egg each other on, fuel each other. Frank doesn’t really bother with that. “Blessed Relief” on the whole is a good form for improv--my little high school jazz combo did it and I’ll be damned if I don’t prefer our version--but, at least here, it doesn’t approach blessedness or relief, for me.

So my favorite track is “For Calvin (and His Next Two Hitchhikers),” an unpopular opinion, but at least this song doesn’t feel like it ought to be funky, and if you listen to its chords and textures it’s actually really well-arranged. With its sound and un-wazoo-related concept, it would probably be more at home on Waka/Jawaka coming right after "It Just Might Be a One-Shot Deal."

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Love it!

And the guitar-riff to "Eat That Question" remains one of the coolest ever, and one -helluva- great thing to jam into if you're an axeman yourself. It NEVER fails to rip the floor apart, whether rehearsal or in gig.

I also hear Zappa's most successful bite at dense soft-jazz exploration in "Blessed Relief", the cornet solo and ending melody in particular.

This was one of the first Zappa albums I got; on vinyl from one of the Barkin' Pumpkin 80s boxsets. The store had simply torn the set apart and kept selling the content titles individually; I remember getting Waka, Overnite, Roxy, Zoot and One Size from the same retailer within a month-or-so after this one.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 03-06-2021 at 07:31 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of my favorites.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    It was the more instrumental oriented albums like this one and Hot Rats that really helped me to appreciate Zappa in the first place. There aren’t that many artists who basically create their own world via music and Zappa was one of the few.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I like this one a lot more than Waka Jawaka, especially 'Eat That Question' and the title track.

What's the story with the different running order on the CD, compared with the original record? Why was this done? Even the remaster of the original mix doesn't seem to have reverted to the original running order.

This is one of my first Zappa records and absolutely one of his best.

One of Zappa's best, no doubt about it. And to me some sort of a pinnacle for Zappa's creative process. Of course I love what came after, but up to this point everything was hit right to the center. Then on the mark was missed, lots of times, and others not. But 1967-1972 is the golden era of Zappa for me.

One could never overstate Ansley Dunbar's contribution to this majestic duo of Waka Jawaka and Grand Wazoo. These two albums are inconceivable for me without Dunbar's frenetic playing.

The big band palette of horns is a weapon in Frank's hands to express the whole spectrum of his immense creativity. Eat that Question is such a HUGE guitar riff, and the way it culminates with the horns entering one by one in a glorious tutti - listen to the piccolo flute! - is perfection. Blessed Relief contains one of the most beautiful musical phrases Zappa ever wrote: it is a long phrase, yet crystal clear in its conception, like someone speaking in words, of a familiar but lost language. The zaniness of Calvin and Cleetus alludes to music that no one would dare put together - the funny voices is another huge chapter of Frank's creative artillery.
    And of course the title track, this long piece that brings the classical (the horns' epic onslaught), the jazz and the rock into a complete harmonious balance.

This is Zappa at its best. It doesn't get any better than this.

The eons are closing
    Count me in as a fan.

My fave period of Zappa is Chunga thru Wazoo; so this gets lotsa spins in Casa MudShark.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Somewhere in my personal top 5 or 10 Zappa albums. So good!
    <sig out of order>

So much analog goodness! I listen to both the Ryko CD and the drier 2012 edition. Favorite tracks are Eat That Question for the huge guitar sound and Duke's soloing, and the dreamy sound world of For Calvin. A great feature for listening to the brass and winds playing Zappa's quirky melody lines. What a great arrangement!

Horrible album. Hate it.

Love it, actually. Bought it in '93 at an HMV in Birmingham UK near the Bullring.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Blessed Relief contains one of the most beautiful musical phrases Zappa ever wrote: it is a long phrase, yet crystal clear in its conception, like someone speaking in words, of a familiar but lost language.
    That's a beautiful description of one of the most important but overlooked aspects of Zappa's art: his use of speech-like rhythm patterns to make his lines tell a story.

This album is a solid desert island disc for me. Utterly sublime. The Rate Your Music reviewer is terminally full of beans. He insists on disparaging the album for failing at what it was never meant to be in the first place: an exercise in funk.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    This album is a solid desert island disc for me. Utterly sublime. The Rate Your Music reviewer is terminally full of beans. He insists on disparaging the album for failing at what it was never meant to be in the first place: an exercise in funk.
    Weird review. As you pointed out, a totally misguided premise for critiquing the music. And besides, the title track is pretty damn funky anyway. It gets me up and moving.

For Calvin is one of those eccentric gems that is just one in an ocean of gems by FZ. What a weird yet beautiful tune. Great atmosphere.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I picked up this year. I like it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    It was the more instrumental oriented albums like this one and Hot Rats that really helped me to appreciate Zappa in the first place. There aren’t that many artists who basically create their own world via music and Zappa was one of the few.
    Actually my rateway was hot Rats 3 Sleep Dirt), but that led me directly to HR, Waka and Wazoo. Before that all I knew was the teenage smut-ty Zappa Yellow Snow, Yerbouti (Jewish Da-ncing Fool, etc), Joe's Garage, etc... And though I listened (and laughed), I wasn't buying. I still definitely prefer a more instrumental Zappa.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    What's the story with the different running order on the CD, compared with the original record? Why was this done? Even the remaster of the original mix doesn't seem to have reverted to the original running order.
    Vinyl time restrictions at release time maybe and the CD allowed the intended track order?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    One could never overstate Ansley Dunbar's contribution to this majestic duo of Waka Jawaka and Grand Wazoo. These two albums are inconceivable for me without Dunbar's frenetic playing.

The big band palette of horns is a weapon in Frank's hands to express the whole spectrum of his immense creativity. Eat that Question is such a HUGE guitar riff, and the way it culminates with the horns entering one by one in a glorious tutti - listen to the piccolo flute! - is perfection. Blessed Relief contains one of the most beautiful musical phrases Zappa ever wrote: it is a long phrase, yet crystal clear in its conception, like someone speaking in words, of a familiar but lost language. The zaniness of Calvin and Cleetus alludes to music that no one would dare put together - the funny voices is another huge chapter of Frank's creative artillery.
    And of course the title track, this long piece that brings the classical (the horns' epic onslaught), the jazz and the rock into a complete harmonious balance.
    Ainsley is the glue in this album and Waka.
    Though one of the best thing of that album are the two brass section, including the bass (low) frequency adding so much depth to the whole thing.

As a teen used to Zap's smut, I had understood Cleetus Awreetus-Awrightus as something like Clit(oris) Is Allright

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Weird review. As you pointed out, a totally misguided premise for critiquing the music. And besides, the title track is pretty damn funky anyway. It gets me up and moving.
    I'm glad someone is reading the review I post in these threads.
    Indeed, the guy I quoted is intending to diminish the album's brilliance.
    Another reason why I chose it is the first paragraph about Zappa's wheelchair bout; Anyone else thinks Zappa's infirmity played a role into Waka/Wazoo?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My favorite Zappa album of all time. The reviewer was full of $&^%.

re: Aynsley Dunbar's input here.

One of the greatest things about this and Jawaka. I never really thought he performed all that well on the previous stuff (the live albums), except for some of the tunes on 200 Motels. But on Jawaka and Wazoo he's a grand chaplain. "One-Shot Deal" and the title track on Waka, here he keeps the whole glue together in a way almost unthinkable with any other Zappa drummer. It's as if he finally got some true meat to chew on.

I still think the title track on Jawaka is one of the defining Zappa creations, and the apparent "looseness" of some of it is part of that triumph. In a sense, Dunbar puts in a performance more akin to what I'd expect from someone like Narada Michael Walden; subtle in dynamic attack yet with the force and charge of a jazz drummer imagining a rock assignment. In reality it was the other way around, of course, but it works this way.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of Zappa's best. Love every bit of this including the insanity that is For Calvin. But its Blessed Relief that is the gem. A beautiful piece of music. Its really amazing that he put this and Waka/Jawaka out while being wheel chair bound.

Fantastic album! One of Frank's best. This one and Waka/Jawaka are two of my favorite Zappa albums. I remember playing Waka/Jawaka for my friend Terri, on the way to NEARfest one year, and she's was shocked. She was like "How did I miss THAT?!".

As for the different track order, from what I gather on Wikipedia, all they did was swap the two songs on side one, so it couldn't have been "the limitations of vinyl". Maybe Frank always intended The Grand Wazoo to come first, but there was some kind of goof up in the mastering, and Frank couldn't be bothered (or couldn't afford) to go back and have it redone, at the time.

Funny thing is, I have that album on vinyl, on Bizarre/Straight Records, and I don't remember the tracks being in a different running order. But then, I probably only played it a few times, when I was in high school (almost 30 years ago) and then shelved it away.

This is great! I bought Hot rats 30 years ago and thought and still think it is great, but I then went off track with Frank's "classic rock" stuff, like Yellow Snow, which does nothing for me.

Wazoo will be on my next order from a prog retailer who stocks it...

Definitely had the best place around.

I only have the 90's Ryko cd. Do I need to replace it with the latest remaster?

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I only have the 90's Ryko cd. Do I need to replace it with the latest remaster?
    I wouldn't bother. Both Ryko CD editions were fine, while at least the first run of the 2012 remaster was defective. (None of the other 2012 releases had problems.)
    Last edited by Mister Triscuits; 03-07-2021 at 11:12 PM.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx