Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Featured Album - Frank Zappa & The Mothers - The Grand Wazoo

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Overnite Sensation is a favorite of mine. Dinah Moe Hum is the only song in poor taste, and IMO the songwriting overall isn’t equaled in many of his other albums. It strikes a good balance of humor, social commentary, and musicianship. As I explore his albums, I’m finding he really seems to only have a handful of albums that I truly enjoy.
    Let's see, for me, there's:
    Lumpy Gravy
    Uncle Meat
    Hot Rats
    Burnt Weenie Sandwich
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Waka/Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Roxy & Elsewhere
    One Size Fits All
    Sleep Dirt
    the Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar triumvirate
    Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch (well, side two of it anyway)
    Them Or Us (except for one or two songs)
    ...Meets The Mothers Of Prevention (well, except for We Turning Again)
    Guitar
    You Can't Do That Onstage Volume two, disc two of Volume 5, and a few tracks here and there from the others (except for Vol. 1 which I never owned)
    Make A Jazz Noise Here
    The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (except for the Brother A. West routine)
    Trance Fusion
    and the instrumental half of Ahead Of Their Time

so that's basically 22 albums that I enjoy a great deal. But there's also quite a few I still haven't heard, and it's been ages since I listened to Apostrophe or Over-Nite Sensation (I've got the old Ryko twofer CD).

^^^ Where do you slot in Kiss' I Was Made For Lovin' You?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^^ Where do you slot in Kiss' I Was Made For Lovin' You?
    The frell does I Was Made For Lovin' You have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The frell does I Was Made For Lovin' You have to do with anything?
    I was just asking. You're not really supposed to answer a question with a question. It's bad form.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The Napoleon/Chester/George/Ruth lineup was indeed probably Frank’s best band. Sadly, the only studio album I like that they did is One Size Fits All.
    I believe that's the only studio album that lineup did, but I'm too lazy to check.

re One Size Fits All,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I believe that's the only studio album that lineup did, but I'm too lazy to check.
    You're right, but Ruth, George and Tom are all on Over-Nite Sensation, and the three of them and Napoleon are also on Apostrophe. Chester doesn't come into it until Roxy And Elsewhere, and then the next album after that was One Size Fits All. And then Ruth had dropped out for Bongo Fury, and then the others are all gone by the time of Zoot Allures, then Ruth came back for Zappa In New York.

re One Size Fits All,

You're right, but Ruth, George and Tom are all on Over-Nite Sensation, and the three of them and Napoleon are also on Apostrophe. Chester doesn't come into it until Roxy And Elsewhere, and then the next album after that was One Size Fits All. And then Ruth had dropped out for Bongo Fury, and then the others are all gone by the time of Zoot Allures, then Ruth came back for Zappa In New York.
    They also appear on Studio Tan (at least some of the songs) and George and Ruth both appear on Sleep Dirt (again, at least some of the songs).

In the One Size.. liner notes FZ wrote that they recorded the album at the same time as the next album (he said in one radio interview that "Greggery Peccary" would be on it). He ended up scrapping that in favor of Bongo Fury, but the tracks that could have been on the "next album" ended up scattered over Sleep Dirt/Studio Tan/Läther.

I wouldn't change a single bar of Overnite or Apostrophe personally. Wonderful albums with gorgeous production, lovely playing, and catchy tunes...not pretentious either. I love the "weightiness" he got with these recordings, great kick drum and elec bass. Having said that, Roxy and Studio Tan would easily make my FZ top 10.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I wouldn't change a single bar of Overnite or Apostrophe personally. Wonderful albums with gorgeous production, lovely playing, and catchy tunes...not pretentious either. I love the "weightiness" he got with these recordings, great kick drum and elec bass. Having said that, Roxy and Studio Tan would easily make my FZ top 10.
    What are your top ten Frank?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    What are your top ten Frank?
    Gonna be really difficult....I'll have to mull this one over.....

Gonna be really difficult....I'll have to mull this one over.....
    I'm patient.

Top Ten Zappa? Let's see, how about:
    Uncle Meat
    Hot Rats
    Guitar
    The Grand Wazoo
    Waka/Jawaka
    Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar
    Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar Some More
    Return Of The Son Of Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Burnt Weenie Sandwich

Not necessarily the order I'd put them, but those are probably the favourites for me.

Top 10 for me would probably be:
    1. One Size Fits All
    2. Stage II
    3. Roxy
    4. Waka/Jawaka
    5. Grand Wazoo
    6. Joes Garage
    7. You Are What You Is
    8. Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    9. Sleep Dirt
    10. Make a Jazz Noise
    The top 5 are pretty set, the next 5 aren't. I could just as easily throw in Just Another Band from LA, Hot Rats, Zappa in NY, Overnite Sensation, Stage I, Imaginary Diseases and Wazoo. At the very bottom of the list (meaning my least favorite) would be Thing Fish.

In cronological order:

1. We're only in it for the money
    2. Uncle Meat
    3. The Grand Wazoo
    4. One size fits all
    5. Zappa in New York
    6. Studio Tan
    7. You are what you is
    8. Them or us
    9. The Yellow Shark
    10. Civilization phase III

...d'oh! I knew I'd forget one of the 1988 live releases! Both Best Band and Make a Jazz Noise would make the list!

first five (no order)

Hot Rats
    Sleep Dirt
    The Grand Wazoo
    Waka/Jawaka
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh

next five (no order either)

Burnt Weenie Sandwich
    One Size Fits All
    Chunga's revenge
    Roxy
    Studio Tan
    Last edited by Trane; 03-16-2021 at 03:36 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Top Ten Zappa? Let's see, how about:
    Uncle Meat
    Hot Rats
    Guitar
    The Grand Wazoo
    Waka/Jawaka
    Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar
    Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar Some More
    Return Of The Son Of Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Burnt Weenie Sandwich

Not necessarily the order I'd put them, but those are probably the favourites for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Top 10 for me would probably be:
    1. One Size Fits All
    2. Stage II
    3. Roxy
    4. Waka/Jawaka
    5. Grand Wazoo
    6. Joes Garage
    7. You Are What You Is
    8. Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    9. Sleep Dirt
    10. Make a Jazz Noise
    The top 5 are pretty set, the next 5 aren't. I could just as easily throw in Just Another Band from LA, Hot Rats, Zappa in NY, Overnite Sensation, Stage I, Imaginary Diseases and Wazoo. At the very bottom of the list (meaning my least favorite) would be Thing Fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    In cronological order:

1. We're only in it for the money
    2. Uncle Meat
    3. The Grand Wazoo
    4. One size fits all
    5. Zappa in New York
    6. Studio Tan
    7. You are what you is
    8. Them or us
    9. The Yellow Shark
    10. Civilization phase III

...d'oh! I knew I'd forget one of the 1988 live releases! Both Best Band and Make a Jazz Noise would make the list!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    first five (no order)

Hot Rats
    Sleep Dirt
    The Grand Wazoo
    Waka/Jawaka
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh

next five (no order either)

Burnt Weenie Sandwich
    One Size Fits All
    Chunga
    Roxy
    Studio Tan
    Interesting lists - My favourites are Hot Rats, One Size Fits All, Roxy, Apostrophe (my all time favourite). I like Joe's Garage okay. I have Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. I own others but the favourites is what stands out.

What is in the ballpark of my favourites?

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Interesting lists - My favourites are Hot Rats, One Size Fits All, Roxy, Apostrophe (my all time favourite). I like Joe's Garage okay. I have Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. I own others but the favourites is what stands out.

What is in the ballpark of my favourites?
    Overnight Sensation, You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume 2, Road Tapes - Venue #2.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

The eons are closing
    JABfLA
    Filmore East
    Wazoo
    Waka/Jawaka
    Studio Tan
    Sleep Dirt
    Best Band You Never....
    Make A Jazz Noise...
    Sheik...
    Joe's Garage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

I'm patient.
    Here goes (this is nigh impossible for me)....

Lumpy Gravy
    Uncle Meat
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Waka/Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Roxy and Elsewhere (Plus the other complete sets of this band)
    One Size Fits All
    Studio Tan
    Joe's Garage
    Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar
    You Are What You Is
    Ship Arriving Too Late... (side two is one of my fav FZ studio sides, period)
    Make a Jazz Noise Here
    You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore Vol. 2, 4, and 5
    The Yellow Shark
    Civilization Phaze III

I just realize I forgot to number these...I think there is around ten there (cut me some slack, leaving out other favorites was painful)
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

there is no Zappa list without either Freak Out or We're only in it for the money...except than in Progressive Ears. For me this is beyond subjective, we're talking about the impact these albums had on the history of music (and not only music). I don't know how to comment on the fact that some 50 albums have been mentioned and those two don't get any merit at all. Sometimes it feels like the progressive community lives on a planet of its own, where the 60's never happened, and where chops is the only thing that truly matters.
    Anyway, nothing new here, and the crushing argument that "everything is subjective and a matter of taste" that stops immediately any discussion on the actual value of music or on the principles of evaluating music, is already on the way. Each one in the name of his God.

Here goes (this is nigh impossible for me)....

Lumpy Gravy
    Uncle Meat
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Waka/Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Roxy and Elsewhere (Plus the other complete sets of this band)
    One Size Fits All
    Studio Tan
    Joe's Garage
    Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar
    You Are What You Is
    Ship Arriving Too Late... (side two is one of my fav FZ studio sides, period)
    Make a Jazz Noise Here
    You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore Vol. 2, 4, and 5
    The Yellow Shark
    Civilization Phaze III

I just realize I forgot to number these...I think there is around ten there (cut me some slack, leaving out other favorites was painful)
    Thanks for the list of 10 or so!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    there is no Zappa list without either Freak Out or We're only in it for the money...except than in Progressive Ears. For me this is beyond subjective, we're talking about the impact these albums had on the history of music (and not only music). I don't know how to comment on the fact that some 50 albums have been mentioned and those two don't get any merit at all. Sometimes it feels like the progressive community lives on a planet of its own, where the 60's never happened, and where chops is the only thing that truly matters.
    Anyway, nothing new here, and the crushing argument that "everything is subjective and a matter of taste" that stops immediately any discussion on the actual value of music or on the principles of evaluating music, is already on the way. Each one in the name of his God.
    Absolutely essential and important, even within FZ"s huge body of work. But these fun lists are not about historical importance or even what albums are more groundbreaking - its what the FZ fan likes to listen to more. I get way more out of Yellow Shark, CP III, Shut Up, etc than I do Money these days - not only because I've heard it so many times but also it's a bit less challenging on my ear, and I still like to have a 'go' with FZ when I can. I don't think there is any right or wrong here. I know that Udi loves Thing-Fish, which is highly controversial even amonsgt FZ fans, but I think it's cool that he digs it so much.

In terms of Freak Out! and Money, I used to be in a FZ cover band and we did a bunch of tunes from both of those albums, so I am a huge fan and very, very well-acquainted with both.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I get way more out of Yellow Shark, CP III, Shut Up, etc than I do Money these days - not only because I've heard it so many times but also it's a bit less challenging on my ear, and I still like to have a 'go' with FZ when I can.
    This applies to myself as well, but the discussion is not about the albums that we listen the most nowadays, but our favourite Zappa's albums. I find it peculiar that there was just a single mention for We're only in it and none for Freak Out. Some sort of blindness that discards these albums like non-existent, whereas outside of the PE universe they are the first to be mentioned.
    And it's not just about their historical significance: these two are timeless masterpieces in my opinion, and their relative "simplicity" in terms of composing only strengthens the measure of the achievement. Just my 2 cents - but certainly not just mine, if we abandon the strict confines of the Prog audience.

The eons are closing
    Do you believe that those that arrived at Zappa fandom post Joe's Garage release approach the catalog differently?

Myself, as a teen in the early 80s, I am in that category, heard JG and then I had six or seven Zappa titles before I purchased ....Money. I enjoy it, and understand intellectually its significance, but as a fan that does enjoy the ludicrous side of FZ - I never reach for it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower