Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Genesis Genesis Plays Jackson

  1. #1

    Genesis Genesis Plays Jackson

    Bumped onto a link on Youtube yesterday regarding some early Genesis songs that were apparently released on a separate disc with the '70-'75 boxset. I've got the first archive boxset which had some early stuff on it which to my ears sounded fine.. long of the short I followed a link to Amazon and they are offering this boxet in mp3 format for $35. Which seems hard to believe.. anyone here own this boxset?.. is this part of the "upgrade" that I've read so many negative reviews on how it sounds?
    I might spring for the mp3 at that price.
    https://www.amazon.com/1970-1975-Box...4083626&sr=8-1

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    913
    I own this box set, and it's always sounded great to me.

    neil

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Droitwich UK
    Posts
    29
    I agree with Boilk, it is a great set and I would recommend it. I know that a lot of people here don't like the new versions of the albums but $35 sounds like a very good deal to me to get the first five albums and DVDs plus the bonus disk.

  4. #4
    I can't disagree with what's already been said. My only minor caveat is just that for me personally, one of the highlights to this box in particular was all the early video footage of the band, like the Shepperton Studios footage and the like. I also actually found that I spent as much or more time watching the band interviews about the making of each album, as I did on the albums themselves.

    So, you'll lose that stuff with an mp3 version. I'm sure much of that is on YT...I'm of a certain age where owning a copy on a disc still has a certain value above a YT stream and that's my bias to be 100% fair.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  5. #5
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,985
    What's Jackson?

  6. #6
    Member Koreabruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chuncheon, South Korea
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What's Jackson?
    For your edification: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...boxset.133676/

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I can't disagree with what's already been said. My only minor caveat is just that for me personally, one of the highlights to this box in particular was all the early video footage of the band, like the Shepperton Studios footage and the like. I also actually found that I spent as much or more time watching the band interviews about the making of each album, as I did on the albums themselves.

    So, you'll lose that stuff with an mp3 version. I'm sure much of that is on YT...I'm of a certain age where owning a copy on a disc still has a certain value above a YT stream and that's my bias to be 100% fair.
    Thanks.. I've seen most if not all the interviews on Youtube as well as the Shepperton footage so I may just spring for it.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,442
    ISTR The Jackson Tapes were found around twenty years ago. Interesting how many sections they re-used...what became 'Anyway' especially, as that was four years later.

    I think these boxes were victims of whatever went on with EMI in the early 2010s. A whole load of stuff went out of print then, never to return. The stereo remixes of the original albums themselves (without the extra material) are still available on CD, but that's another story. I am not a fan of those remixes.

  9. #9
    By and large I'm not terribly enthused with the new stereo mixes, no. The one exception is Trespass...for whatever reason I actually really like the new stereo mix. But the rest range from "I could give or take" to "that kind of hurt my ears."
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,442
    I had a benign view of the stereo remixes- I felt the fans were more interested in the 5.1 mixes/extras anyway. That changed when I belatedly realised they were replacing the original mixes. That should never, ever have happened IMHO. Quite apart from the mastering, there are all sorts of errors and different/missing parts compared with the originals.

    I did enjoy the extra visual material a lot. The Gabriel-era interviews were 40-50 minutes about each album. However, I know that some fans felt the source material for the archive material was bootleg-level and original sources weren't used. That TV stuff on the Wind and Wuthering DVD was absolutely appalling- why didn't they include the Dallas 1977 video instead?

  11. #11
    Yeah...luckily I still have my earlier CDs of the studio albums...they remain my preferred go-to for the albums.

    And yeah, there were some odd choices with what was included in the other couple of boxes (as well as what WASN'T included). Not every B-side made it onto the bonus discs. The live box had PG vocal overdubs still. The quality of the live clips on W&W was absolutely appalling. In terms of the extras, I personally only really felt the 70-75 box delivered solid ROI.

    Tis what tis!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Bumped onto a link on Youtube yesterday regarding some early Genesis songs....
    Would that be the one I put up a few months back?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWYwzdn-h0c
    It was a bit of fun to imagine what an album (post Revelation and pre Trespass) would have sounded like.
    Even though it blatantly says 'IMAGINED' album in the title, it's amusing to see how many people think it's a genuine 'lost album'! I'm glad it's made so many people happy discovering it.

    In a similar vein, I stumbled on this collection recently, really well chosen:
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,442
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    In terms of the extras, I personally only really felt the 70-75 box delivered solid ROI.
    That's the only box I bought. I bought some of the other CD/DVD releases separately. The Gabriel-era albums were not released separately at the time, for some reason.

    The best version of these albums on CD were the first CD releases. Sad but true. The later 'definitive remasters' are at least the original mixes as well.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    That's the only box I bought. I bought some of the other CD/DVD releases separately. The Gabriel-era albums were not released separately at the time, for some reason.

    The best version of these albums on CD were the first CD releases. Sad but true. The later 'definitive remasters' are at least the original mixes as well.
    Yep, definitely...and for my favorite albums like Duke and Wind, I have those original releases. Viva la discogs
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I had a benign view of the stereo remixes- I felt the fans were more interested in the 5.1 mixes/extras anyway. That changed when I belatedly realised they were replacing the original mixes. That should never, ever have happened IMHO. Quite apart from the mastering, there are all sorts of errors and different/missing parts compared with the originals.

    I did enjoy the extra visual material a lot. The Gabriel-era interviews were 40-50 minutes about each album. However, I know that some fans felt the source material for the archive material was bootleg-level and original sources weren't used. That TV stuff on the Wind and Wuthering DVD was absolutely appalling- why didn't they include the Dallas 1977 video instead?
    Same. I got it for the 5.1 mixes and to have the video material all in one spot, and for the interviews. I don't think that I've ever even listened to the stereo mixes.

    neil

  16. #16
    I listen to the 5.1 mixes occasionally. The gem for me was the live box, particularly the full Rainbow 73 Show. Sounds great and allowed me to dispense with a whole bunch of headache inducing boots.

  17. #17
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,549
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Same. I got it for the 5.1 mixes and to have the video material all in one spot, and for the interviews. I don't think that I've ever even listened to the stereo mixes.

    neil
    I've basically bought that box-set for the DVD video contents. I haven't played the stereo or 5.1 (don't own the eqipment for the latter), since I reach for the first gen or the mini-lp

    Never bought the other three boxets (red, blue & black), but I did buy the TOTT stand-alone.
    I sort of regret passing on the W&W one (if memory serves,there wasn't much video content in it, outside the interviews) and to a lesser extent the ATTWT & Duke stand-alones

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I did enjoy the extra visual material a lot. The Gabriel-era interviews were 40-50 minutes about each album. However, I know that some fans felt the source material for the archive material was bootleg-level and original sources weren't used. That TV stuff on the Wind and Wuthering DVD was absolutely appalling- why didn't they include the Dallas 1977 video instead?
    I don't remember that "appalling" TV stuff (what was it?), but if the Dallas stuff had been included, I'd have made the effort



    .... cos I still don't own it and have to rely on its presence on YT.
    Last edited by Trane; 3 Days Ago at 05:16 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,442
    The W&W extras were mimed TV appearances from 1977 in lousy off-air videotape quality. I don't think Dallas has ever had a commercial release, no.

    If Dallas had been the whole show it would be the best Genesis footage with Collins, hands down. Even what's there is great. That's perhaps their best ever tour, musically, IMHO.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    That TV stuff on the Wind and Wuthering DVD was absolutely appalling- why didn't they include the Dallas 1977 video instead?
    What TV stuff did they use? Your Own Special Way from The Mike Douglas Show?

    Why wasn't the Dallas footage on there? Probably some legal issue, maybe Showco still owns the footage and they won't let it go.

    What bugs me is reportedly, Tony Maylam still has all the footage he shot for Genesis In Concert, ya know, the Trick Of The Tail era concert film, but he has no interest in doing anything with that, and apparently neither does the band.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    What TV stuff did they use? Your Own Special Way from The Mike Douglas Show?

    Why wasn't the Dallas footage on there? Probably some legal issue, maybe Showco still owns the footage and they won't let it go.

    What bugs me is reportedly, Tony Maylam still has all the footage he shot for Genesis In Concert, ya know, the Trick Of The Tail era concert film, but he has no interest in doing anything with that, and apparently neither does the band.
    I don't know what they used, but Your Own Special Way and Afterglow from Mike Douglas, is available on Youtube.

    neil

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,442
    I had to double-check the exact contents on Discogs. W&W used Mike Douglas and some Japanese stuff. Heavily edited, mimed versions of songs.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •