Thread: Post-2000 Songs by Artists You Stopped Listening to in the 80s

Post-2000 Songs by Artists You Stopped Listening to in the 80s

I put together a piece (and a playlist) of music that came out after the turn of the century by bands that reached their heights of success in the 80s but then people just sort of mostly forgot about. Anyone interested can have a look here and please feel free to provide more examples that I may have overlooked so I can add to the playlist!
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Of all the songs on your list, I have only ever heard one: California Sun by the Outfield. It's great. I checked out the other Outfield tunes you list and they are very good also.

Some prog/prog-related bands fit the bill for this list.
    Yes -- Fly From Here
    King Crimson -- Level Five, Deception of the Thrush
    Asia -- Extraordinary Life, Holy War, Valkyre

that’s an interesting one, thanks for that!

funnily enough many bands that i discovered in the 1980s (during my teen & early adolescent years) i stuck with during the 1990s, which in places rendered me an outcast in many areas … i found grunge initially boring and derivative, hated nu metal with abandon, was too much of a metalhead to really appreciate the great leveller techno and the only original 90’s styles of music that really floated my boat were drum&bass and trip hop. hence you’ll forever find me defending 90’s material by our very own vintage prog bands which often makes me recognise a decline in quality in the 2000s.

i’d probably second ASiA although some of their 90’s stuff with john payne was interesting and i did appreciate his and GD’s "steely dan of AOR" (two key figures, rotating cast of guests) until about “arena" which is an underrated album. but the name and its inherent quality comes with the original four and i started paying attention again. that was a charming and refreshingly non-cynical return.
    Last edited by iguana; 02-25-2021 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo

Perhaps pushing the boundaries of this thread: during the 80s, I didn't much care for Rush's 80s material. After their epic 70s work, I felt they sold out and went new wave. I was even pissed that Alex and Neil cut their hair short. And Geddy with his goofy looking long mullet pony tail. Now I thoroughly enjoy their 80s material. I now know what I was missing.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I haven't looked at the playlist, but I would put Shriekback on there if they aren't. They were largely dormant in the 90s, but have put out several good albums this century, and in fact just started a fundraiser to record their 16th album.

The Alarm is possibly another.

This is tangential at best, but I'm suddenly wondering why Pete Townshend more or less stopped releasing solo albums this century. Since The Who has put out a couple of albums this century, I would have expected Townshend to remain prolific in the past 20 years.

Saga kind of fits, though they've been releasing albums all along

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I totally dropped the ball on Asia and Saga because I never stopped listening to them. lol
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Ultravox did an album in 2012 called Brilliant. I didn’t care for it, but some consider it a return to form.

On the other hand, I think that 2004’s Jupiter’s Darling is seriously one of Heart’s best albums. And to my ears, Apple Venus Vol. 1 is XTC’s best album!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Ultravox did an album in 2012 called Brilliant. I didn’t care for it, but some consider it a return to form.
    good call … and technically appropriate because the band reformed in 2009 (counting as 2000s) and played some fantastic shows. i like “brilliant” and i do think that at least this one belongs to the best things that ure/currie/cross/cann have ever come up with!

i gave up on Saga in the mid 80's.... but returned in 2001 with their CD House Of Cards.
    for some reason it was released in the USA and i saw it in the stores.
    i didn't even know they were still together. i caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This is tangential at best, but I'm suddenly wondering why Pete Townshend more or less stopped releasing solo albums this century. Since The Who has put out a couple of albums this century, I would have expected Townshend to remain prolific in the past 20 years.
    Apparently he's had a big ambitious multimedia project in the works for well over a decade. In the meantime he has sold off his back catalog, including rights to the work in progress, so he may not have much financial incentive ever to finish it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx