Thread: Jon Anderson on solo reissues and 50 Years of "The Yes Album"

Jon Anderson on solo reissues and 50 Years of "The Yes Album"

Midway through UCR's interview with Jon Anderson, the former Yes singer cuts off the conversation — not because of a sensitive question or scheduling conflict. But because the magic bird is back in his garden.

"We have this beautiful blue heron who's started to come by the house," he says. "There was this wonderful star thing that happened just around Christmas when Saturn and Jupiter lined up. And this beautiful blue heron — six foot tall — came into our garden, and it was kind of like a miracle for us to see that bird walking around the garden very slowly. It brought this energy of chill. [My wife] Jane just came out of the front door, and it was standing on the steps. It flew away up to the top of the hill here. Anything like that for us is always a message from the divine energy that surrounds us."

Sometimes Anderson searches out that divinity. Other times it finds him. Probably the most prolific living songwriter from prog-rock's classic wave, he's remained especially active during the pandemic — continuing to collaborate with musicians remotely and sort through a daunting backlog of new and unfinished projects.

"To me it's like breathing," he says. "I wake up in the morning, go into the studio and I can breathe. I've got about six or seven albums lined up for the next 10 years. I just have to get them finished, that's all."

That same spark guided Anderson during his earliest solo projects, which he's reexamined for a pair of reissues: His second LP, 1980's Song of Seven, was rereleased in September, and he recently announced a remaster of his 1976 debut, Olias of Sunhillow. Anderson stepped out of his home studio and spoke to UCR about the challenges and rewards of those formative solo ventures, his pandemic-era creativity and the 50th anniversary of Yes' first classic LP, The Yes Album.

Read More: Jon Anderson on Solo Reissues and 50 Years of 'The Yes Album' | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jon-...edium=referral

The link won’t load. I think they’re trying to load too much stuff at the same time.

"To me it's like breathing," he says. "I wake up in the morning, go into the studio and I can breathe. I've got about six or seven albums lined up for the next 10 years. I just have to get them finished, that's all."

I love Jon and the great work that he has accomplished but he's been saying he has all this material for years and yet it never seems to come out. If only someone could get him to finish what he starts.

^ Maybe the heron will give him a sign?
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well at least he's got a heron at the bottom of the garden rather than fairies.

A 6 foot tall heron at that.

Jon is always entertaining to listen to. Wish I lived on the same planet that he does.

Enjoyed listening to this. Jon Anderson is the least cynical person I've ever met. We only met once and had a conversation for about twenty minutes but I remember saying to my close friend afterwards that I didn't think Anderson could approach any situation without a degree of positivity. Where this source of goodness comes from I don't know but I wish I could be more like him at times when the world around seems a very dark place. Anderson and his music represent a light, which I'm thankful for. At least we got 1000 Hands which is an amazing album, as is his work with Roine Stolt. I also enjoyed the Living Tree with Rick, not to mention his excellent singing live with ARW. The dude is pretty remarkable for a 75 year old rock musician. More importantly the guy is a good human and the world could always use more of them.

World's biggest heron, it seems. Does he live in the former estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs?
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    Enjoyed listening to this. Jon Anderson is the least cynical person I've ever met. We only met once and had a conversation for about twenty minutes but I remember saying to my close friend afterwards that I didn't think Anderson could approach any situation without a degree of positivity. Where this source of goodness comes from I don't know but I wish I could be more like him at times when the world around seems a very dark place. Anderson and his music represent a light, which I'm thankful for. At least we got 1000 Hands which is an amazing album, as is his work with Roine Stolt. I also enjoyed the Living Tree with Rick, not to mention his excellent singing live with ARW. The dude is pretty remarkable for a 75 year old rock musician. More importantly the guy is a good human and the world could always use more of them.
    Word.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Well at least he's got a heron at the bottom of the garden rather than fairies.
    The fairies are probably saddled on the back of the giant heron. I sense another Jon concept album coming on.

The fairies are probably saddled on the back of the giant heron. I sense another Jon concept album coming on.
    Did you know that "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is an anagram for "Woe, Fear Yon Tall Heron"?

You did?
    Treat yourself on Bandcamp Friday: THE HIPCRIME VOCAB enthusiastically available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

When you're a little guy, all Herons look six feet tall.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUe3YhCjy6g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOCJokzL_s

I hope the heron has a mate. Otherwise, Jon would be the owner of a lonelyl heron.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I hope the heron has a mate. Otherwise, Jon would be the owner of a lonelyl heron.
    Much better than the owner of a lonely hardon.
    Treat yourself on Bandcamp Friday: THE HIPCRIME VOCAB enthusiastically available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    The link won’t load. I think they’re trying to load too much stuff at the same time.
    The Ultimate Classic Rock website can be a bit wonky. It seems to load smoothly if I use a newer device or a PC - but if I try to visit the site on an older device or one in need of an operating system update, the UCR site crashes. I think you are correct, they have a very busy webstie with no "reader view" option.

Who new Jon was a heron addict?

"Heron..it's my wife, and it's my life..."
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    He's still smoking copious amounts of weed isn't he? Christ he'd drive me round the twist having that type of conversation.

Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Blue herons top out around 54".
    Chad