Thread: Looping on Mars ( sort of )

Looping on Mars ( sort of )

A new band name if I have ever heard one.

Perseverance cartoon, courtesy of xkcd
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned

Go Perseverance.

Pure joy poured out of mission control at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory as the rover's team jumped out of their chairs and erupted into cheers and applause.

It's a moment to be preserved and played on infinite loop -- those seconds where anxiety dissipates in the face of hope and possibility coming together.

Any project I have been associated with is fairly short term with a high potential for a successful outcome.
    These missions are simply amazing in scope and complexity.
    A decade of work that could fail at so many points in the execution of the mission.
    But the science, the dedication, and attention to detail means that it succeeds.
    To be part of the team that puts something like Perseverance , Curiosity, Cassini–Huygens , Hubble. Beyond my abilities and wildest dreams.
    As a space geek I still get thrills with news like this. I rarely miss a SpaceX launch, to cheer success, not hope for failure.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Come on guys, you know it's a hoax. It didn't happen.

And Mars is flat anyway.

Actually, Mars is sharp - the highest mountain in the Solar System.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Banned
    ^^^

Actually, it is a tie with the crater Rheasilvia on the asteroid and protoplanet Vesta, whose central peak was found to be of comparable height.
    However, based on the Solar Systems official rules, ties go to the planets over the protoplanets. So, Mars is "sharpest" after all.

I'm with you markwolf. As a youngster in the early to mid 1960's, I watched in total awe after early-on failures finally bore fruit and Ranger 7 sent back glorious B&W photos of Mare Cognitum just before crashing in the Moon. I recall staring for hours at a time at the fuzzy photos in the newspaper taken just seconds prior to impact.

And then, what followed....

I enjoyed following the live program about the landing of Perseverance on the Nasa official channel, and sharing the joy of the teams.

i wonder what musical inspiration may come to someone who would spend a long time on the planet sometime in the future. It's certainly a hostile environment for a humain being, but it is fascinating nonetheless.
    (Well, I know Styx and Rick Wakeman released Mars themed albums in recent years, but I think I would be drawn toward a more psychedelic or ambient approach.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I enjoyed following the live program about the landing of Perseverance on the Nasa official channel, and sharing the joy of the teams.

i wonder what musical inspiration may come to someone who would spend a long time on the planet sometime in the future. It's certainly a hostile environment for a humain being, but it is fascinating nonetheless.
    (Well, I know Styx and Rick Wakeman released Mars themed albums in recent years, but I think I would be drawn toward a more psychedelic or ambient approach.)
    I think that it might be along the same line of approach that Lancaster & Lumley adopted for their 1976 release, "Marscape". That album captured the sounds of Mars as detected by the Viking spacecrafts instruments and also further imagined atmospherics, including the "blowholes" (pipes of Mars), dust storms and the Hopper rover type craft. A beautiful and fanciful album that always fired up my imagination and wonder at what it would be like on a distant planet. Your statement, that asks what kind of music inspiration would come from spending an extended time on another planet, takes the curiosity aspect even further along these lines. I think that electronic and ambient sounds would be at the forefront of the musical imagery.

marscape2.jpg = Proto-Brand X album, "Marscape"

^ Thanks for sharing. I didn't know this album. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    ^^^

I'm with you markwolf. As a youngster in the early to mid 1960's, I watched in total awe after early-on failures finally bore fruit and Ranger 7 sent back glorious B&W photos of Mare Cognitum just before crashing in the Moon. I recall staring for hours at a time at the fuzzy photos in the newspaper taken just seconds prior to impact.

And then, what followed....
    One of my first memories of B&W television was the launch of one of the Mercury capsules. We were all up early ( we lived in a Mountain time zone then ), my parents we very excited about it.
    -- Aristotle

Let's hope the rover doesn't get sucked into the QAnon theory while on twitter.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Let's hope the rover doesn't get sucked into the QAnon theory while on twitter.
    No, it will persevere.