Thread: R.I.P. Louis Clark (ELO)

R.I.P. Louis Clark (ELO)

Passed at 73: https://chroniclet.com/news/251930/louis-clark/

For ELO, he was their orchestra/choir conductor and arranger, and also played keys on some of their tours. Next to Lynne, probably the next most important contributor to their sound.

Bev Bevan: "Not only was Louis an incredibly talented orchestral arranger , he was also a brilliant conductor both in the studio and live on stage .
    He also just happened to be one of the nicest , gentle and laid back people that it’s ever been my privilege to have known and to have worked with .
    With deepest condolences to Gloria and the family .
    Rest in peace Louis . God Bless.
    Go conduct that Heavenly Choir !"

He and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra were also responsible for this smash hit and series of albums:

He also orchestrated, arranged and conducted the RPO on this Asia track:

Last edited by Dan Roth; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:57 AM.

Also a post and remembrance from Annie Haslam. I was not aware of this album:

"Sadly we lost a friend and magnificent musician/producer yesterday, Lou Clark. In 1985 I called Betty Thatcher with an idea I had to record an album of known classical pieces put to song with her lyrics with full orchestra and choir. Betty said lets call Lou and we did and 'Still Life' was born... a masterpiece, an experience I will never forget, no one could have done it better than Lou!
    Rest in Peace Dear Friend.
    Love Annie "

He was still playing with his son the last time we saw The Orchestra, he was frail but doing what he loved and it still sounded great.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Very sorry to hear this. I was fortunate enough to see ELO in 1974 and 1976. Rest in peace, Louis.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    That's really too bad. ELO's Eldorado is a top 20 all time albums for me. RIP.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

RIP - Love the first 4 or 5 ELO records.

R.I.P. Louis Clark! Astounding work with ELO! (Caught them only once, on the Out of the Blue Tour in '78)
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I saw Orchestra with Lou years ago in Falls Church, Virginia at The State Theatre, and they were fantastic! Lou got a nice introduction and credit by Kelly. I had zero idea as most folks other than the biggest fans assumed Jeff did/was responsible for almost everything. Lou looked like a proper English gentleman wearing a nice, dark red/cranberry jacket Everybody almost there except Jeff, Richard and Bev was no longer playing with them at that point . Learned that Kelly wasn't even his real name. Weird.

Prior to the show I met a couple and was doing lemondrop shots (their choice) with them. Turns out the girlfriend/wife went to the same International school in Vienna, Austria the last year I was there in 72, in second grade and knew of the same much older high school class President who had broken his leg. He performed the lead part in the school play with a broken leg, he was loud, popular and even us little kids knew who he was. School was from Kindergarten to high school and it was actually nice to interact with the older kids at times.

When the show started I was right down in front wearing my Hard Rock Capetown shirt I had picked up the year before when I went over for the second time. I was having a great time with this "symphonic" band and their music and I was pretending I was conducting them. After the show, a woman comes over to me and says to me, "I last saw you guys perform in ( mentions some European country). Made me laugh as she thought I was actually conducting these guys. One of the best concerts I have ever been to and I've seen hundreds of performances.