Thread: Prog Quiz Show?? 1982?

Prog Quiz Show?? 1982?

Well, not exactly prog per se, but rock and blues.

Look at the guests!

Bruford, Collins, Plant, Moulding and Quatro. Who's the other dude on Bill's team?

Geoff Deane from Modern Romance.

They were an odd band, if an entertaining one, who combined new wave tropes with latin American style dance melodies. They had a string of hits in the UK with songs like Best Years Of Our Lives, Everybody Salsa and Ay Ay Ay Ay Moosey.

Pop Quiz was a must-watch for every young music fan back in the day.

Banned
    Yikes, would like to have caught some of these shows.

Also appearing as "captains"' were George Michael, David Gilmour and Ian Gillan! But, the one episode that must have been a killer was the special "Duran Duran versus Spandau Ballet" challenge. Can you imagine Simon Le Bon mixing it up with Tony Hadley in the final?

XTC is Prog, damn it!!!
    The Prog Corner

That was a fun watch. I'll have to look for more of them. What a cool idea.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thanks for posting. Loved it. And guess what, one of the questions was which band had an album right now in the charts called Quiet Life? And that Japan-album arrived today with the mail!! (It was a promotional copy of the new remaster which will be out next month.)

Wow! Great timing!

Amazing that they could get all that top talent on a single show. And probably the first and last time Steve Hillage was ever the answer on a TV quiz show (Bill B couldn't identify him!)

Ian Gillan, Scott Gorham, Mike Rutherford, Nick Heyward, Bob Geldof, Judie Tzuke

Banned
    For Geldof not to be able to identify "Selling England" by it's cover is a disgrace. Rutherford must have been seething behind that smile.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    For Geldof not to be able to identify "Selling England" by it's cover is a disgrace.
    An absolute disgrace of extreme magnitude so far beyond the hills of comprehension that even Stephen Hakwing's skull's top lid popped off and landed upside down to serve as a blood-tomato soup-bowl.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Or Geldof was being too cool for school. Or winding up Mike.

A couple of prog-related game show clips

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Or Geldof was being too cool for school. Or winding up Mike.
    Geldof, like many other first-generation punks at the time, was outspoken in his "anti-prog" bias - and while he according to himself "softened" later and even admitted to owning Cat Steven's Tea For the Tillerman I don't think the gesture in question was merely just another provocation. He was simply clueless as to the cover. So what?

I clearly remember a show in which Rod Stewart didn't know dick about the Damned, and I wasn't exactly flabbergasted. Although Captain Sensible was probably relieved.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The eons are closing

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit