Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Covers At Which You've Spent a Lot of Time Staring

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    My mother had a small collection of albums in the 60s. We had this album. I'm 10 years old in 1966, staring at this album cover, thinking....if I could only move some of that whipped cream over a bit from her left tit.
    As the photo shoot progressed, the shaving cream slipped down revealing a bit more. She used to sell the more revealing photo for $50.00! Now THERES a Google search!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    As the photo shoot progressed, the shaving cream slipped down revealing a bit more. She used to sell the more revealing photo for $50.00! Now THERES a Google search!
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Shadow, you are my NEW HERO!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You could add the Flash albums sleeves as well.

This thread is starting to feel like the NSFW group

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Shadow, you are my NEW HERO!
    It was probably child's play for Ed, whenevber you see his posts in the NSFW group a few years back. (which you cabn't since you had to subscribe)
    Last edited by Trane; 03-02-2021 at 01:43 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    A cover originally offered to Genesis around the time of Trick Of The Tail, but declined in favour of the more storybook design. So, recycled for Zep instead!
    I very much prefer the cover Genesis used. Fits the music better, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I very much prefer the cover Genesis used. Fits the music better, IMO.
    Definitely. I know that Hipgnosis rolled their eyes a bit at the Trick cover, and truthfully it is very different from what they were know for, but songs like Mad Man Moon and Ripples would not be served well by a family sitting around a table looking at an unidentifiable object.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Definitely. I know that Hipgnosis rolled their eyes a bit at the Trick cover, and truthfully it is very different from what they were know for, but songs like Mad Man Moon and Ripples would not be served well by a family sitting around a table looking at an unidentifiable object.
    TBH, I find the mise en action of the Presence visual concept appalling, if not dreadful.

The idea itself could've been much more effective by giving those pictures an historical perspective by having the object reappearing thoughout mankind's history.

As for Trick, it is one of the most arresting and fascinating artwork - much better than the Whitehead artworks, really.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Led Zeppelin-III
    Iron Maiden-Somewhere In Time
    Yes-Relayer
    U2-Achtung Baby
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    As for Trick, it is one of the most arresting and fascinating artwork - much better than the Whitehead artworks, really.
    I just never liked Whitehead's work.

Genesis generally doesn't have the best artwork or covers, but Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are pretty good.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    I just never liked Whitehead's work.

Genesis generally doesn't have the best artwork or covers, but Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are pretty good.
    Uh, pardon me but I think you overlooked one big time:

We cant dance.jpg

^ You're kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    TBH, I find the mise en action of the Presence visual concept appalling, if not dreadful.

The idea itself could've been much more effective by giving those pictures an historical perspective by having the object reappearing thoughout mankind's history.
    That would have got them slated for being pretentious (admittedly, not a new thing). I think it works quite well, this 'absence' in those banal images. And it would definitely have been all wrong for Trick of the Tail.

Odd that Hipgonsis "rolled their eyes" at the Trick sleeve - didn't they design it?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post

Odd that Hipgonsis "rolled their eyes" at the Trick sleeve - didn't they design it?
    Yes, but grudgingly. It went against the grain of their usual hip, modern art designs. I can't find the interview now where I heard it (I think it was Banks), but to paraphrase, it was along the lines of "Oh sure, you guys want this romantic, wistful stuff again..."

So, Zep took it for Presence. I wonder if they even knew it had been passed over, Gabriel laughingly says in one of those album interviews that Storm Thorgerson was often trying to pass off old ideas as 'new and fresh'.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

That cover isn't even in the Hipgnosis album cover book.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Uh, pardon me but I think you overlooked one big time:

We cant dance.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ You're kidding, right?
    Has to be.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'd say that We Can't Dance artwork is better than the 2 or 3 that preceded it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That's a low bar.

Banned
    Has to be.
    That's a low bar.
    Whoops, you are right, I posted the wrong stellar cover that had me staring at it for hours. It is this mind blowing vinyl cover that takes me to another dimension every time I see it. Note the strategically positioned alligator in the middle of the painting - now that's Art. Plus, it came in shifting multi-colored patterns, of which us real fans collected them all (a lot of money, but worth it). I'm surprised that the guy who designed this didn't use his real surname, instead of "Smith".

Abacab.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It's actually a pleasant enough image (not great, but nice in its own way), but spoiled IMO by that ghastly and garish logo.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's actually a pleasant enough image (not great, but nice in its own way), but spoiled IMO by that ghastly and garish logo.
    I have a framed lithograph of album artwork that had signatures of the trio but they were in pencil. Now totally faded - this could have been a collector's piece.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Exactly.

And then they continued to use said ghastly and garish logo over and over....

Exactly.

And then they continued to use said ghastly and garish logo over and over....
    Including the 70s boxed sets, one of the more baffling artistic decisions of a career already loaded with them.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Just received a nice original vinyl pressing of this the other day--all the better to scrutinize the cover details.

Wow! Incredibe imagery.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)