Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Covers At Which You've Spent a Lot of Time Staring

Wilding and Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Wilding and Bonus
    Yeah! What is he doing with that flag? Over there? Oh, he gives a Pleasure Signal to his pal.

Just received a nice original vinyl pressing of this the other day--all the better to scrutinize the cover details.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Really? I like it. I mean, it's not the Dead live, but still, some good songs there, IMO.
    I'm probably missing out on something ...quite a few people who i thought should know better really like The Grateful Dead. OTOH a lot of Rick Griffin stuff is uniquely mind blowing. He certainly moved the bar for the psychedelic vein of graphic art. IMO the Dead always seemed pretty ordinary, (often like a folk or country band) when you compare them to FZ, Hendrix, the Mahavishnu Orchestra...or Rick Griffin.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake 2 View Post
    I'm probably missing out on something ...quite a few people who i thought should know better really like The Grateful Dead. OTOH a lot of Rick Griffin stuff is uniquely mind blowing. He certainly moved the bar for the psychedelic vein of graphic art. IMO the Dead always seemed pretty ordinary, (often like a folk or country band) when you compare them to FZ, Hendrix, the Mahavishnu Orchestra...or Rick Griffin.
    I see - I thought you meant you liked the Dead, but not this album. Yeah, it's not everyone's thing, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Just received a nice original vinyl pressing of this the other day--all the better to scrutinize the cover details.

That is one of my favorite album covers of all time! The music is also fantastic.

Then there was this one. But I actually spent a lot more time looking at the inside gatefold, and if you zoom in on the center spine you can probably figure out why...

IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    A cover originally offered to Genesis around the time of Trick Of The Tail, but declined in favour of the more storybook design. So, recycled for Zep instead!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Obviously!164eee60-0324-43c0-84ac-4bd746a426d1_1.2d1a752512ec799cb364309103752773.jpg

BTW - She was 3 months pregnant during the photo shoot. She stated she hid the proofs as long as she could from her husband. Living in the area, she has attended the last two concert appearances of Herb Alpert in Seattle.....still signing album covers.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Always love the cover of Eloy Floating, I even searched to find the artist, as I was ready to buy a full size to hang on the wall, alas, I never found it...

Pretty much any Ralph Lundsten cover.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

A friend of mine John emailed me these two:

I have a whole list over on Rate Your Music of album covers I adore, a list I call Sheer Visual Elegance. As you can tell, Roger Dean and Shusei Nagaoka are particular favorites (and a tip of the hat to Ulrich Schütt, who did the covers for the new age act Blonker. His paintings are just lovely.).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Obviously!164eee60-0324-43c0-84ac-4bd746a426d1_1.2d1a752512ec799cb364309103752773.jpg

BTW - She was 3 months pregnant during the photo shoot. She stated she hid the proofs as long as she could from her husband. Living in the area, she has attended the last two concert appearances of Herb Alpert in Seattle.....still signing album covers.
    First one that came to mind.
    Then theres the Beatles White album

Well, an obvious choice would be Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick. Between the news articles, adverts, photos and puzzles, you could spend days reading various aspects of the design.

TAAB 1.jpg

TAAB 2.jpg
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I have a whole list over on Rate Your Music of album covers I adore, a list I call Sheer Visual Elegance. As you can tell, Roger Dean and Shusei Nagaoka are particular favorites (and a tip of the hat to Ulrich Schütt, who did the covers for the new age act Blonker. His paintings are just lovely.).
    That's great.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    One of the most beautiful covers of all time:

Watercourse Way.jpg

Genesis - from Tresspass until W&W
    Caravan - G&P, Waterloo & Plump
    Floyd - Animals and WYWH
    Who - Tommy & Quadro
    Moody - Chord, FCCC, Threshold
    Jane - debut
    Crimson - the first four
    Audience - FFF and House
    Tull - Stand Up, Aqualung & TAAB
    JMJ - Oxygene
    Tangerine Dream - Zeit
    Mahogany Rush - Child, Universe , IV & Tales
    Santana - the first four
    Harmonium - 5è Saison
    Rush - Farewell
    Ash Ra Tempel - debut
    Schulze - Time Wind
    Maneige - NVNN, Service
    J Airplane - Baxter's
    Dead - Allah
    QMS - What About Me, Just For Love, Coming Thru
    Mwandishi - Crossing & Sextant
    Meatloaf - Bat 1
    Kansas - Monolith

......... and many more I forget now.

Yes: not that much really >> Olias maybe but I didn't like much the album.
    Last edited by Trane; 02-27-2021 at 04:10 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    ^^^

Good list, but the wrong Ashra.

Ashra.jpg

Samurai cover.jpg

This one has always fascinated me:
    how thin the couple is (yet how large her breasts are!) and did she just light a match across his back?
    And i've hoped whatever he is rolling isn't tobacco--didn't think so!

^^^^^
    ...and what is she doing with her right hand?

My mother had a small collection of albums in the 60s. We had this album. I'm 10 years old in 1966, staring at this album cover, thinking....if I could only move some of that whipped cream over a bit from her left tit.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 02-28-2021 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    My mother had a small collection of albums in the 60s. We had this album. I'm 10 years old in 1966, staring at this album cover, thinking....if I could only move some of that whipped cream over a bit from her left tit.
    Your mother was probably wondering who's been licking this album cover.