Thread: PETER HAMMILL: "In Translation" (covers album) on the way this year...

PETER HAMMILL: "In Translation" (covers album) on the way this year...

https://www.loudersound.com/news/pet...D89lr9Wm9g0a1E

Van der Graaf Generator singer Peter Hammill has announced he will release his very first covers album later this year. In Translation features songs from a variety of musical worlds including classical, American Songbook, Italian pop, and Tango.

In all but three cases, Hammill has also translated the lyrics into English. These songs have remarkable stories behind them. The album has, Hammill, explains, been recorded during the Covid lockdown and partly inspired by Brexit.

“This collection seems to fit together as a group, not least because most of these songs are to do with measures of dislocation, of loss, of some kind of imagined future which didn’t arrive," explains Hammill.

“Only three of the songs here were originally in English; I’ve translated the rest, having had a some experience of song translation over the years. I didn’t feel that I could do proper justice to the songs if I sang them in the original languages. My approach has always been to make cultural rather than strictly linguistic translations, so that the spirit of the song rather than its precise narrative is rendered.

"I was unfamiliar with several of these songs before I began this project. One discovery led on to another in a kind of paper trail. It’s worth noting that many of the back stories to the songs are interesting and some of the writers and singers had a spectacularly dramatic time of things. I doff my hat to these sometimes complicated lives. I hope I’ve addressed the material, the writers, and the original performers, with due and proper respect. Inevitably though there’s spin here, mine all mine.

“These recordings were made, of course, in the time of Covid and lockdown. But also in the knowledge that Brexit – in all its horror – was fast approaching. So these performances of, for the most part, European songs were my last as a European singer, with all the rights and privileges that has brought me for so many years.”

In Translation will be available on CD, white vinyl and as a digital album. Release date is currently TBC.

Peter Hammill: In Translation

1. The Folks Who Live On The Hill - 1937 piece by Kern/Hammerstein
    2. Hotel Supramonte - composed by Fabrizio De André
    3. Oblivion - composer Astor Piazzola
    4. Ciao Amore - 1967 song by Luigi Tenco
    5. This Nearly Was Mine - from the musical South Pacific by Rogers/Hammerstein
    6. After A Dream - by Gabriel Fauré
    7. Ballad For My Death - a second Piazzolla piece
    8. I Who Have Nothing - originally an Italian song by Carlo Donida and Giulio ‘Mogol’ Rapetti. The English lyrics are by songwriting giants Leiber and Stoller. Recorded by Ben E King and Shirley Bassey
    9. Il Vino - composed by Piero Ciampi
    10. Lost To The World - written by Gustav Mahler
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I thought the most famous version of "I (Who Have Nothing)" was by Tom Jones. The chance to hear PH do it is unmissable. And then to top it off with Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen! Hammill's breast-beating angst meets Mahlerian Weltschmerz. Get out your party hats, folks. Can't wait.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Not exactly a straightforward choice of 'songs'.

Interesting!

^^^ Agreed. I'm pretty jazzed for this one. You just know he's going to make these pieces his own.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Wow that was unexpected, though I should have expected something to come out of the lockdown...
    Nice to see Piazzolla covers there.

Very cool.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Thanks for that link. The mans writing is always such a pleasure. Love the stories and insights behind the songs.

'So the making of this record is the act of a Briton who was, is and will remain a European, though one from whom rights have been stripped.' Beautifully put.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

DANG! I was really hoping it would be Elvis covers.

Lovely blog post by Richard Williams about Hammill's new album: https://thebluemoment.com/2021/05/07...l-in-lockdown/

Anyone else had a listen? - to my ears, this is a wonderful record, amongst the best things he's ever done. It is astonishing that, 50 years - almost to the day - after the release of his debut lp Fool's Mate, he he has released yet another groundbreaking, brilliant, album.

....waiting for the cd to drop in my mailbox.

I was waiting for the promised vinyl release, but I’m going to have to stream it beforehand. High praise from many for a man who never disappoints, this has me excited.

^^^ During early listens, the tunes that are the standouts are the brilliant tango covers - there's something about the lilt of the tango rhythm that seems to really suit the cadences of Hammill's vocal delivery.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Can the album be streamed or downloaded anywhere?

Mahler Rückert-Lieder? Amazing! My fav song from that collection.

Enjoying a Friday sunset with the new Hammill disc and one of its influences. Paradise!

cd.jpg