Tracks Listing:
    1. Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy (3:31)
    2. After The Cosmic Rain (8:25)
    3. Captain Señor Mouse (9:01)
    4. Theme To The Mothership (8:49)
    5. Space Circus, Pt. 1 & Pt. 2 (5:42)
    6. Game Maker (6:46)

Line-up:
    - Chick Corea / organ, electric & acoustic pianos, harpsichord, gong, producer & arranger
    - Bill Connors / electric & acoustic guitars
    - Stanley Clarke / electric & fuzz basses, bell tree
    - Lenny White / drums, percussion, bongos, congas

Here is what Kazuhiro Kojima had to say babout it in ProArchives
    After Chick studied originality and the sensibility thoroughly in the group in Miles, he formed RTF also that was his lifework because of the further promotion of it of my world. The album of RTF announced in 1972 united into one to the music character exactly by the directionality of each musician and sent love and happiness to us. It is guessed that "Return To Forever" and upcoming album "Light As A Feather" announced in 1972 are music that the taste of Brazil , for example, Airto Moreira is splendidly suitable for the creation of Chick exactly.

However, Chick takes out the idea that boldly changes the music character of the RTF. The musician who was related to Miles before that including Chick was challenging music to which electronic musical instruments were taken to strengthen the music character further in the age. This time made "Bitches Brew" of Miles announced in 1970 a starting point and changed the concept of Jazz/Fusion surely. Of course, there are a lot of opinions that Miles killed Jazz by this album, too. Chick however challenges even goods of ..avant-garde.. [tsuku] including the work of ECM already.

People's opinions often have the opinion that "Bitches Brew" is made a starting point and the width of Jazz/Fusion extended. And, the fan of Jazz makes the opinion that Jazz might have died. However, the result worked on music that Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Lifetime succeeded the spirit and cannot be denied.

Miles certainly asked not only the listener but also the musician the definition of Jazz/Fusion by "Bitches Brew". However, Miles might be able nothing but to advance in my world. And, Chick was strongly influenced by the music of the counterplan at that time. It is guessed that it was decided to reflect the sensibility of the music that derived from the counterplan at that time in my world. Chick did RTF and the decision to take the explosion of the explosion and feelings of a harder, heavier music and space to music was done. Chick is answered in the interview. He says that it listens to the music of Mahavishnu Orchestra and it was influenced very much by him. It was said that my music wanted also to express the exploding emotion in music. He said. I am not a translation at all to be digested the music of "Biches Brew". I say that I want to have feelings like the music of John Mclaughlin.

He arranged the musician who was able to achieve it in the actual music to strengthen RTF further. Bass player's Stanley Clarke was already on the register in RTF. And, guitar player's Bill Connors is received with drum player's Lenny White. Bill informed the world of his name by this album. However, he secedes this album and the band has seceded at the end. And, he has left the work in ECM back. It might have been thought that neither the idea nor the technology of Bill were suitable for RTF though Chick was going to make RTF a perfect band at this time. However, Bill works on the tune by the original sensibility that other guitar players do not have. I think that it is a performance never bad.

Each musician's technology can be satisfied by the dash at the cool tune "Space Circus" end by the rhythm of 8/6 by there are "Theme To the Mothership" impressive the melody to feel the famous "Captain Senor Mouse" space performed with Duo of "After The Cosmic Rain" Chick and Gary Burton that succeeds "Hymn Of The Sevevth Galaxy" where it starts, it explodes at once, and it dashes and the power and pulls the album and a groove a little. 「The Game Maker」

Chick has succeeded in the reflection of the exploding emotion in music really with this album. Music is created by the angle and the sensibility besides Mahavishnu Orchestra and the tension is given from first to last. It exceeds the frame of Jazz/Fusion and takes us to the world of Chick.

Last edited by Trane; 02-15-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My fave. Bill Connors rules.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I know a lot of people, especially proggers, tend to choose Romantic Warrior as their #1, but personally this one is my favourite (although the initial RTF album could claim that title if we are willing to think of it as RTF and not Chick solo). Either way, it's all fantastic stuff and this was the first album I turned to when the news broke last week. This music is joy.

Listening to Corea, Clarke & White's album Forever from 2009 which features Connors and Ponty. One disc live, one disc studio, and probably my favourite rendition of Señor Mouse ever. Outstanding!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I guess you've already noticed you've missed mentioning Lenny White in the line-up.

The vest RTF album. A real classic fusion album.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I guess you've already noticed you've missed mentioning Lenny White in the line-up.
    I noticed that too! Surely just an oversight, but it does stand out.

My least favorite of the "big four" RTF albums, but I still enjoy it. Never really got the love for Connors on this one. To me, he's pretty average and has some moments of very spotty intonation that I find distracting. The compositions are cool, though, and the album definitely has a great energy. Will probably dig this out for a spin, my go-to album after Chick died was Where Have I Known You Before.

Bill

The LW bug is fixed

Hymn is also my fave RTF.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Pardon my ignorance (now, now...), but is Fuzz Bass a type of bass guitar, or just a style of bass playing?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance (now, now...), but is Fuzz Bass a type of bass guitar, or just a style of bass playing?
    Fuzz bass implies running a bass guitar through a fuzz pedal, which is most often done by guitarists. But some bass players use fuzz or distorted tones. In Clakre's case, he uses it as effect during solos, for example, his solo in "After the Cosmic Rain." I'm not certain why he makes a distinction between the two on the liner notes, he uses a Gibson bass on all the tracks except "Theme to the Mothership." So, it's the same bass he's using, just running it through a fuzz pedal.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Fuzz bass implies running a bass guitar through a fuzz pedal, which is most often done by guitarists.
    Incidentally, the Beatles used the term "fuzz bass" as early as 1965 in the credits to Rubber Soul.

I played this album first thing this morning. "Captain Señor Mouse" is so good it tickles.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Fuzz bass implies running a bass guitar through a fuzz pedal, which is most often done by guitarists. But some bass players use fuzz or distorted tones. In Clakre's case, he uses it as effect during solos, for example, his solo in "After the Cosmic Rain." I'm not certain why he makes a distinction between the two on the liner notes, he uses a Gibson bass on all the tracks except "Theme to the Mothership." So, it's the same bass he's using, just running it through a fuzz pedal.

Bill
    Perhaps its just one of those things I've noticed twice and associate it with everything but....it feels like a very 70s jazz/fusion thing (or perhaps even just a 70s thing) to list as many instruments as possible in the liner notes.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    This and Romantic Warrior flip flop as my top album from these guys. Having listening through the majority of their discog since Chicks' passing, RW has overtaken this one once again, but there is still boatloads here I love.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    My fave. Bill Connors rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Incidentally, the Beatles used the term "fuzz bass" as early as 1965 in the credits to Rubber Soul.

I played this album first thing this morning. "Captain Señor Mouse" is so good it tickles.
    Jack Bruce (especially on Zappa's Apostrophe), the Magma and other zeuhl bass players...

Stanley plays a Rickenbacker bass on this clip (and sounds nothing like Chris Squire )

I came to RTF via Where Have I known.. and Romantic Warrior. But this one holds a special place for me..

It looks like I don't own this album. I just own:
    Where have I known you before / No mystery
    Electric Lady Studio, NYC, June 1975
    Romantic warrior
    Musicmagic
    Live - The complete concert

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I recall the term "fuzz bass" being one of the first pieces of musical jargon I learned as a kid. The usual reference point was the bass on "Satisfaction."
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Why mention fuzz bass, which is a bass with fuzz-effect, but not ring modulator electric piano?
    You can hear Chick Corea playing at certain points a Fender Rhodes with ring modulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Why mention fuzz bass, which is a bass with fuzz-effect, but not ring modulator electric piano?
    You can hear Chick Corea playing at certain points a Fender Rhodes with ring modulator.
    So we will discuss it on PE. #theyknewthefuture

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I'm alright with mentioning which effects are used, but I think one should mention all effects that have a significant effect on the sound of the instrument involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    That was good.

Return To Forever 1973.

Return To Forever-The Anthology version of this album sounds so much better. Amazing improvement over the original release. Btw, I saw a YouTube video of this band last night showing Stanley playing a Rickenbacker one pick up at the bridge and no neck pick up. This was pre Alembic. I too prefer Bill Connors.

https://youtu.be/ppUpj90YAFU
    Last edited by Rand Kelly; 02-16-2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Adding video

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Return To Forever-The Anthology version of this album sounds so much better. Amazing improvement over the original release. Btw, I saw a YouTube video of this band last night showing Stanley playing a Rickenbacker one pick up at the bridge and no neck pick up. This was pre Alembic. I too prefer Bill Connors.

https://youtu.be/ppUpj90YAFU
    Yes that is the cds to get to hear this album the best. I haven’t play my vinyl copy in years. I need to revisit it to see how it sounds compared to the anthology recordings.

Mr Triscuits : Do you mean they actually used the term «*fuzz bass*» in the credits ? Are there actual instrument credits on Rubber Soul ? Wasn’t this only made clear years later with books by Lewisohn, Macdonald etc. ?

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Mr Triscuits : Do you mean they actually used the term «*fuzz bass*» in the credits ? Are there actual instrument credits on Rubber Soul ? Wasn’t this only made clear years later with books by Lewisohn, Macdonald etc. ?
    Aymeric,
    the back cover of the LP mentioned alongside each song title any instrument the band members were playing in addition to their usual instrument. Track 5 has the credit "Paul on fuzz bass".