Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Featured Album: RETURN To FOREVER - Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy

I saw this version of the band. live at The Stables in E. Lansing MI with only about 150 other people. Bill Connors was amazing, but Stan Clarke simply blew people away. What a show- one of the greatest I ever saw.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Just got The Anthology CD (2008).

SO much better sound than on (older versions of) 'Hymn' and 'Where'.
    Still not fan of 'Romantic'.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 2 Days Ago at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Just got The Anthology CD (2008).

SO much better sound than on 'Hymn' and 'Where'.
    Still not fan of 'Romantic'.
    I reviewed the two-disc Anthology back when it was released in 2008. The set includes full remixes of Hymn and Romantic Warrior in ther entirety, along with remasters of the material culled from RTF's two albums in between, Where Have I known You Before? and No Mystery. The remixes, in particular, are a significant improvement, but even the "just" remastered material is considerably better.

I always preferred the group with Connors. Yeah, he was sloppier than the very precise Di Meola, but to my ears and heart, Connors felt a lot more than his replacement, who I've always felt to be a masterful player but woefully sterile. Also, a lot of scalar playing, to a fault, versus Connors' more soulful choices...and tone. That said, Romantic Warrior is still my fave of the guitar-driven RTF albums released at the time. I love Hymn, don't get me wrong; but the writing on Romantic really is spectacular, with Corea, Clarke and White, in particular, really at the top of their game with this band. I also enjoyed Corea's use of acoustic piano, which he didn't use on Hymn but began to reintroduce on Where and made it a more dominant instrument on the title tracks to No Mystery and Romantic Warrior, and to tremendous effect.

If you're interested, you can read the review here.
    Last edited by jkelman; 3 Days Ago at 08:49 PM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I always preferred the group with Connors. Yeah, he was sloppier than the very precise Di Meola, but to my ears and heart, Connors felt a lot more than his replacement, who I've always felt to be a masterful player but woefully sterile. Also, a lot of scalar playing, to a fault, versus Connors' more soulful choices...and tone. That said, Romantic Warrior is still my fave of the guitar-driven RTF albums released at the time. I love Hymn, don't get me wrong; but the writing on Romantic really is spectacular, with Corea, Clarke and White, in particular, really at the top of their game with this band. I also enjoyed Corea's use of acoustic piano, which he didn't use on Hymn but began to reintroduce on Where and made it a more dominant instrument on the title tracks to No Mystery and Romantic Warrior, and to tremendous effect.

[/URL].

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I reviewed the two-disc Anthology back when it was released in 2008. The set includes full remixes of Hymn and Romantic Warrior in ther entirety, along with remasters of the material culled from RTF's two albums in between, Where Have I known You Before? and No Mystery. The remixes, in particular, are a significant improvement, but even the "just" remastered material is considerably better.

I always preferred the group with Connors. Yeah, he was sloppier than the very precise Di Meola, but to my ears and heart, Connors felt a lot more than his replacement, who I've always felt to be a masterful player but woefully sterile. Also, a lot of scalar playing, to a fault, versus Connors' more soulful choices...and tone.

If you're interested, you can read the review here.
    I agree completely aboth 'Hymn'.
    And Di Meola's tone on 'Where' is awfull. It gets better on the two next though. The tracks from 'Where' chosen for The Anthology are fantastic.
    Also good choices for 'No mystery'

There are parts / themes on Romantic that is great, reminds me of progbands (ELP, GG, etc) but I don't feel the music - its kind of academic, succeding themes that doesnt tell any coherent story. IMO

I will read your review, thanks.