Thread: DISTRICT 97 New Live Album “Screenplay” Feat. John Wetton

DISTRICT 97 New Live Album “Screenplay” Feat. John Wetton

Small for web.jpg

Hi friends!

I'll just cut right to the chase with the BIG NEWS:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Chicago prog legends DISTRICT 97 will be releasing a new live album called “Screenplay” featuring well over 2 hours of music across 2 CDs on March 26, 2021! The album comprises all of DISTRICT 97’s critically-acclaimed “Screens” album performed live at Europe’s prog rock mecca, Boerderij Cultuurpodium, in October 2019. Additionally, the collection boasts a wide variety of additional live material spanning DISTRICT 97’s back catalog and covers ranging from John Lennon to Yes.

Also included is a rousing unreleased live performance of “21st Century Schizoid Man” featuring King Crimson/Asia /UK legend John Wetton, as well as collaborations with other artists such as Dave Kerzner and Fernando Perdomo. Plus, there are two secret “encore” performances. As a special bonus, a brand new song recorded in quarantine called “Divided We Fall” is included on the new album!

Pre-order “Screenplay” now at our ONLINE STORE (including discounted and signed copies) and at CHERRY RED.

“The world has changed in ways we never could have foreseen since we released Screens in October 2019. Touring has been rendered impossible, and thus we have been unable to share this music live with many of our wonderful fans. Before covid-19 struck, we embarked on our UK & European Screening Tour. The centerpiece of each night was Screens performed live in its entirety. Fortunately, our show at Holland’s legendary Boerderij Cultuurpodium was beautifully recorded, and we are thrilled to present it now as part of ‘Screenplay.’ There’s much more to this collection though: live performances of other D97 favorites, tributes to our musical icons, a BRAND NEW SONG recorded in quarantine, and even a couple ‘encores’ (if you applaud long enough). Until we can be physically together again, please join us for ‘Screenplay’” – Jonathan Schang

“Since I joined this band in 2008, one consistent bit of feedback I’ve received is that our live shows capture our essence as a band in ways that studio albums are not as able to, given the visual component of seeing us perform live mixed with the spontaneous musical ideas bouncing around on stage. We have been diligent about recording our live shows over the years and have been sitting on a mountain of live performances that we cannot wait to share with the rest of the word. Each song is an organism unto itself and in each performance we bring with us the culmination of the tour thus far and lessons learned about each song in the process. We throw in tiny moments to keep each other on our toes, try new interpretations based on our current emotional state and communicate on stage in ways that are seemingly mystical at times. Being a band for as long as we have creates a certain freedom to branch out on our respective ledges and see what happens when we put a twist on the familiar. I believe that our fans are in for a treat with ‘Screenplay,’ both for the live performances and the brand new song we recorded remotely as the pandemic rendered us isolated from one another.” – Leslie Hunt

TRACK LISTING
    CD 1
    1. Forest Fire
    2. Sheep
    3. Sea I Provide
    4. Bread & Yarn
    5. Trigger
    6. After Orbit Mission
    7. Shapeshifter
    8. Blueprint
    9. Ghost Girl

CD 2
    1. Divided We Fall
    2. Jealous Guy
    3. Snow Country
    4. Takeover
    5. The Actual Color
    6. A Lottery
    7. Termites
    8. Presto Vivace
    9. Back in N.Y.C
    10. Travels with Myself-And Someone Else
    11. Fainting in Coils
    12. Long Distance Runaround
    13. Red
    14. 21st Century Schizoid Man (Live w/John Wetton)
    15. Out on the Tiles

Artwork by Killustrations

ALSO, Valentine's Day is right around the corner, so we want to share a little snippet of our softer side which Inside the Vault Club members will get to experience in full on Monday, 2/15. Here's a small taste (an exclusive for now) of Leslie and Andrew performing Steve Hackett's beautiful ballad "Hoping Love Will Last":

In addition to getting this full song Monday in IVC #52, Inside the Vault Club members who pre-order *signed copies* of Screenplay will get a MYSTERY BONUS CD that's a key part of early D97 history (more details soon). New members who join as Keyholders will also get one of the final copies of Two of a Kind: A Tribute to Bill Bruford & Allan Holdsworth.

Visit the Inside the Vault Club: http://www.district97.net/insidethevaultclub
    Get special pre-order pricing on Screenplay and signed copies at http://www.district97.net/store/screenplay-2cd

What tracks from Screenplay are you looking forward to hearing?

I saw you guys with John Wetton in 2013 in Vienna, Virginia. Great show!

I ordered this last night.

Today's a great day to pick this up as we're offering 20% off for Bandcamp Friday at https://district97.bandcamp.com/album/screenplay w/code SCREENPLAY20. Our new track "Divided We Fall" is available immediately with this pre-order.

It's also upon iTunes at http://itunes.apple.com/album/id1553...s=1&app=itunes

In honor of Leslie's birthday, we just dropped a new quarantine song/video from Screenplay! Check it out:

What's your favorite Leslie moment?

Quote Originally Posted by District97 View Post
    In honor of Leslie's birthday, we just dropped a new quarantine song/video from Screenplay! Check it out:

What's your favorite Leslie moment?
    Saw this and pre-ordered last night. Love the new tune!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Saw this and pre-ordered last night. Love the new tune!
    Thanks! Hope you enjoy.

SP can be be downloaded/streamed etc. at https://lnk.to/district97.

Here's a really fun new review: https://theprogressiveaspect.net/blo...97-screenplay/. It's full of quotes like:

"One’s imagination can then fill in the gaps as you picture the stage and especially the central figure of Leslie Hunt. She is a fine musician herself, but sticks to singing and movement in this band. Obviously in these enlightened times the word “sexy” will offend the hyper-analytical section of society and will be replaced with “Sassy” (at least until that too becomes an affront…) because Leslie brings a presence that is lively, bold, and full of spirit. Dancing along to the complicated meters whilst emphasising extra beats makes for a great visual focus for this music. Imagine Derek Shulman in a Duck Tape bra… well maybe not, but you get the picture."

There's an image for you Gentle Giant fans!

It's another Bandcamp Friday, so we're offering 20% off at https://district97.bandcamp.com/ TODAY ONLY w/code SCREENPLAY20 on all releases including Screenplay!

And join us for the SCREENPLAY RELEASE PARTY tonight at 9 PM ET/8 PM CT! We'll be hosting a LIVE CHAT on our wonderful host Sean Tonar's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/sean.tonar. Send him a friend request to ask us your questions in real time during the event.

This was recorded 5 years ago today at Boerderij in Holland. It features on disc 2 of Screenplay:

And here was our chat last night with Sean! This was a lot of fun:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Some of the King Crimson covers on this album, and also some of the video of KC covers on YouTube are really impressive! The band plays with a lot of feeling and accuracy, and Wetton sounds SO good in most cases - I get the impression Leslie must be thinking "I can't believe I'm here on stage with John Wetton as he's belting out King Crimson!"

I wish Geddy Lee would do some shows with you guys and cover some Rush tunes! I think in smaller venues that stadiums and arenas his voice could handle it. A lot of us would pay good money to see that. Of course, so would just too many rabid Rush fans.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Some of the King Crimson covers on this album, and also some of the video of KC covers on YouTube are really impressive! The band plays with a lot of feeling and accuracy, and Wetton sounds SO good in most cases - I get the impression Leslie must be thinking "I can't believe I'm here on stage with John Wetton as he's belting out King Crimson!"

I wish Geddy Lee would do some shows with you guys and cover some Rush tunes! I think in smaller venues that stadiums and arenas his voice could handle it. A lot of us would pay good money to see that. Of course, so would just too many rabid Rush fans.
    Sign us up! Hmm, who can pitch this idea to him?

We did this one back in the day:

Here's one for Allan Holdsworth, who died 4 years ago yesterday. This track and Travels With Myself are included on Screenplay:

This performance was 3 years ago today at Rosfest, and is included on disc 2 of Screenplay. Was anyone here for this show at RoSfest 2018?

In honor of Bill Bruford's birthday, here's the cover of "Long Distance Runaround" which features on Screenplay (a collab with Kerzner and Perdomo!). What's your favorite of the covers on Screenplay?