Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2021 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Same for the Runaways, I guess. Is Suzi Quatro in?
    All this talk about Quatro, Jeez if PAT BENATAR is not in, Suzi is a mega-long shot - Not being pesimistic but just plain and simple realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Meh. Wikipedia music categories is one of those things I just ignore. I've seen some ridiculous edit wars out there.
    Then, if none of those categories listed in Wikipedia accurately describe her (Kate Bush) music genre or format, why don't you provide us with your best foot forward description of her body of work. Is it uncategorizable?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Did you listen to WMMS in Cleveland? I read a book one of the program directors wrote about the station and he talked about how they really tried to promote local Midwest bands as much as possible.
    Yes, WMMS was great in their heyday. M105 was even better.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Then, if none of those categories listed in Wikipedia accurately describe her (Kate Bush) music genre or format, why don't you provide us with your best foot forward description of her body of work. Is it uncategorizable?
    Well, it's not that the categories aren't accurate, it's that the categories are unimportant to me, so I take no notice of them.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    GOOD MOVE

Which ones? Let's start a FELA FELA FELA thread!
    Expensive Shit & Roforofo Fight
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    BOTH good ones.

If you like it to enough to get more, get Zombie or Original Sufferhead (which has serious comparisons that can be musically drawn between it and Magma!)
    Last edited by Steve F.; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:32 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I do pay some attenention when the have the annual TV broadcast, because I enjoy seeing old bands get on stage one more time, and sometimes even perform together with former members etc - but the whole premise makes little sense to me as the institution prefers to feature music artists who have had enduring popularity, even if they have not produced any rock music. In the early days, I guess it was pretty easy to point out the great rock pioneers in the early days of the Rock Hall, Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, The Beatles, etc - but there are only so many legendary artists in the genre. I don't know of any rock music from Mary J. Blige, JAY-Z, Chaka Khan, LL Cool J or Dionne Warwick, and that's just a sampling from the current list of "nominees". The same goes for Madonna and many other pop stars who have been honored previously. If Madonna seems appropriate to honor as a rock artist, then why not have Itzhak Perlman or Andrea Bocelli in the rock hall? I don't see their music as being further away from rock and roll than that of Dionne Warwick, for example.

I think Suzi's brother, Michael, should be nominated.

Again, Devo should get in.

I had heard the name Fanny, but also had to look them up on Youtube. I have a very vague memory of seeing them on The Midnight Special, but that is about it. None of their songs were familiar to me, but some of it was pretty cool. They don't appear to have ever reached Go Go's level popularity though.

Their fourth and last album for Warners, Mother's Pride, was produced by Todd Rundgren around the same time he was doing the Todd album, and it's great-- sport of a proggy take on the Laura Nyro sound.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Suzi Quatro's a big non sequiter in my mind. I remember seeing pictures of her in all this leather biker gear, and I remember seeing her in ads for BC Rich, she even had an album called Rock Hard. But ya know what the one song I've heard by her is? Take a listen:

You gotta dig that shag haircut though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    GOOD MOVE

Which ones? Let's start a FELA FELA FELA thread!
    I went through a period in the early '90s when Zombie and No Agreement were never far from my turntable. Groove for days. I even named a cat after him - Fela Anikulapo Kitty. I think it might be time to dig deeper into that catalogue!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Fela Anikulapo Kitty.
    Ha, good one!
    Treat yourself on Bandcamp Friday: THE HIPCRIME VOCAB enthusiastically available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Expensive Shit is one of his defining albums, much in the way that Maggot Brain practically represents all assets of Funkadelic. It used to be available on a twofer with the followup, He Miss Road, which is also good but somehow doesn't quite succeed as brilliantly to play the maximal out of the minimal.

My personal Fela these days is Upside Down. It shares with Shit those insanely tight brass charts, but also introduces a sense of added "inner" dynamic to the intense groove and the vocal backing.

I had to look it up, but yes Norman was the lead singer of Smokie. Another band I have heard of the name, but never heard any material.
    Here in Norway, Smokie still enjoy the highly dubious status of "friends" on the rural circuit, a label issued to international artists whom are thought to be "big" by Norwegian "harrys" (rednecks/hillbillies) simply due to being from English-speaking countries. Others of that ilk are Bonnie Tyler, Christie (yep, the 70s British group), Tanita Tikaram, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Dr. Hook and Nazareth. Smokie's "Living Next Door to Alice" and Nazareth's "Love Hurts" are amongst the best-selling hit singles of all time here, and you have a considerable segment of folks believing these to constitute the biggest thing ever - not biggest merely here at home but in the whole world. When they somehow accidentally find themselves stranded for some bizarre reason in Lyon or San Sebastian or Lagos or Buenos Aires or Baltimore or Jakarta or Kyoto, they still imagine for real that "Living Next Door to Alice" and "Love Hurts" are the greatest things to happen to these places as well, and won't hear otherwise.

Smokie were dreadful, "Alice" or not.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

When they somehow accidentally find themselves stranded for some bizarre reason in Lyon or San Sebastian or Lagos or Buenos Aires or Baltimore or Jakarta or Kyoto, they still imagine for real that "Living Next Door to Alice" and "Love Hurts" are the greatest things to happen to these places as well, and won't hear otherwise.
    That's pretty silly. Everyone knows that the biggest thing in Baltimore is Carl Hupp.

^ Stryper and Faster Pussycat, Moe!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

If you like it to enough to get more, get Zombie or Original Sufferhead (which has serious comparisons that can be musically drawn between it and Magma!)
    Original Sufferhead is an absolute must-buy. I think this is Fela's greatest disc.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That's pretty silly. Everyone knows that the biggest thing in Baltimore is Carl Hupp.

Isn't it Hannibal Lector?