Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

2021 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

This year's nominees include the delightful Kate Bush (previously nominated for 2018), the utopian Todd Rundgren (previously nominated for 2019 and 2020), the eclectic Devo (previously nominated for 2019) and the mighty Iron Maiden (no previous nominations). As Bruce Dickinson said in 2018 "“I actually think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is an utter and complete load of bollocks, to be honest with you. It’s run by a bunch of sanctimonious bloody Americans who wouldn’t know rock ‘n’ roll if it hit them in the face. They need to stop taking Prozac and start drinking fucking beer.”"

Full list and fan voting https://www.rockhall.com/nominees-an...2021-induction

I saw Tina Turner on the list and couldn't believe she wasn't already in. She is--as one half of Ike & Tina Turner. I can understand being inducted as both a group member and a solo artist, but it seems redundant when the "group" already has you billed by your full name. (Yeah, I know that Simon & Garfunkel and Paul Simon are both in.)
    THE HIPCRIME VOCAB CD doggedly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    "Ide o zmes prog rocku, cosmic music, electronic music a classical music. Prekvapivá a dosť divoká hudobná jazda je vo výslednom efekte znamenitá." - Martin Slávik

How is Todd not in yet?
    My meaningless opinion:
    Kate
    Go-Gos
    Carole King
    Dolls
    Todd
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

No idea why the Go-Go's are even being considered.

What a farce.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Here's my personal view only of whether they belong in the HOF, artistically speaking only (not based on whether I like their music or on record sales alone)

Mary J. Blige - Yes
    Kate Bush - Yes
    Devo - No
    Foo Fighters - No
    The Go-Go’s - No
    Iron Maiden - Yes
    JAY-Z - No
    Chaka Khan - No
    Carole King -Yes
    Fela Kuti - No
    LL Cool J - No
    New York Dolls - No
    Rage Against the Machine - No
    Todd Rundgren - Yes
    Tina Turner - No (second time)
    Dionne Warwick - Yes

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The best thing about the rock 'n' roll hall of fame, and therefore about this thread is the quote from Bruce Dickinson.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Because they're Rock & Roll, they're Famous, and their first hit was written by a guy named Hall.
    THE HIPCRIME VOCAB CD doggedly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    "Ide o zmes prog rocku, cosmic music, electronic music a classical music. Prekvapivá a dosť divoká hudobná jazda je vo výslednom efekte znamenitá." - Martin Slávik

re: The Go-Go's

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Because they're Rock & Roll, they're Famous, and their first hit was written by a guy named Hall.
    I'm assuming you're alluding to Our Lips Are Sealed, which was in fact co-written by band guitarist Jane Wiedlin and Terry Hall of The Specials/Fun Boy Three fame, but their hits were written by the band members: We Got The Beat was written by Charlotte Caffey (which she said she wrote while watching a Twilight Zone rerun, though she doesn't remember which one); Vacation by Caffey, Wiedlin and Kathy Valentine; and Head Over Heels by Caffey and Valentine.

Or at least, that's how the bylines read.

The Go-Go's are being considered, probably, because, they were the first self contained, all female band to have a number one album on the Billboard 200 list. Or something like that. Apparently, that makes them more significant than either Fanny or The Runaways.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Here's my personal view only of whether they belong in the HOF, artistically speaking only (not based on whether I like their music or on record sales alone)

Mary J. Blige - Yes
    Kate Bush - Yes
    Devo - No
    Foo Fighters - No
    The Go-Go’s - No
    Iron Maiden - Yes
    JAY-Z - No
    Chaka Khan - No
    Carole King -Yes
    Fela Kuti - No
    LL Cool J - No
    New York Dolls - No
    Rage Against the Machine - No
    Todd Rundgren - Yes
    Tina Turner - No (second time)
    Dionne Warwick - Yes
    What's your logic on Mary J. Blige belonging in the hall of fame, but not Devo, Tina Turner, Jay-Z, Chaka Khan or Fela Kuti?

Will get in:
    Blige
    Foo
    Go-Go
    King
    Kuti
    Rundgren

Should get in but won't
    Bush- does anyone anywhere deserve this more?
    Turner
    Warwick
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I think Fela Kuti is a long shot. I think he's only on the ballot because they're "trying to make themselves look good", the same as when they had Thin Lizzy on the ballot a few years ago. Likewise for Maiden. Then again, who knows, maybe enough of the inductees (who I gather get to vote) know enough about actual music that they'll vote for Kuti and Maiden.

I still can't believe they inducted Metallica before Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and every other band that even made it possible for Lars Ulrich to frell up the ...And Justice For All mix.

It's a museum. Put 'em all in and stop being so effin' snobby about it.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaellikestowrite.substack.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I saw Tina Turner on the list and couldn't believe she wasn't already in. She is--as one half of Ike & Tina Turner. I can understand being inducted as both a group member and a solo artist, but it seems redundant when the "group" already has you billed by your full name. (Yeah, I know that Simon & Garfunkel and Paul Simon are both in.)
    This always ends up being a headache, yes.

I've said for years, the solo careers should be considered a part of the band induction, given they are often choosing by name who goes in (see Anthony Phillips not being inducted with Genesis). To induct solo artists separately ends up being a wasted induction IMHO.

It's a decent enough crop of inductees. I am not certain Foo Fighters have been around long enough to go in, they aren't much past the hall's 25 year 'entry requirement'.

I've said New York Dolls, MC5 etc. should have been in years ago. MC5 haven't even made it this far this time- they regularly get nominated and (obviously!) never inducted.
    Last edited by JJ88; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

What a farce.
    The entire Hall is a sham!

I'd love to see these get in to cause havoc:

Mary J. Blige
    The Go-Go’s
    Iron Maiden
    JAY-Z
    LL Cool J
    Rage Against the Machine
    Dionne Warwick

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I've said for years, the solo careers should be considered a part of the band induction, given they are often choosing by name who goes in (see Anthony Phillips not being inducted with Genesis). To induct solo artists separately ends up being a wasted induction IMHO.
    What gets me is Clapton being inducted three times as a member of both The Yardbirds and Cream, plus for his solo career, but they conveniently ignore Derek And The Dominoes. OK, Yardbirds and Cream were important, influential bands, so I can see that, but most of his solo records are, at best, middling. Meanwhile, maybe the best record he ever made, Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs, gets completely ignored (maybe the Hall Of Fame people don't want to induct a murderer).

Then they induct Paul, John, and George as solo artists. Did they ever induct Ringo as a solo artist? OK, I can see inducting John on the strength of Plastic Ono Band and maybe Imagine, and I can sort of see inducting George for All Things Must Past, but what the frell did Paul do as a solo artist that's that significant it needs to acknowledge? Surely this isn't on the strength of Ebony And Ivory, is it? ANd if you're gonna say Band On The Run or any of the other Wings records, then why not induct Wings also?

As for certain people who were in a given band not being inducted, I have a few grievances of my own that front, e.g. excluding Nick Simper and Tommy Bolin from the Deep Purple induction.

It's a decent enough crop of inductees. I am not certain Foo Fighters have been around long enough to go in, they aren't much past the hall's 25 year 'entry requirement'.
    I dont' follow your logic. How far past the 25 years mark does one need to be? I recall Nirvana got inducted the very first year they were eligible.

I've said New York Dolls, MC5 etc. should have been in years ago. MC5 haven't even made it this far this time- they regularly get nominated and (obviously!) never inducted.
    They still haven't inducted Dick Dale or Link Wray, either.

Yes but Nirvana- whatever you think of them, and we all know it's not much- had a far greater cultural impact than Foo Fighters. That's the difference- I don't think it's at the same level with Foo Fighters. Even David Bowie had to wait years after he was eligible but I doubt he cared.

So this insults continue...of the ladies nominated, I can only agree with Kate Bush and Tina Turner. The rest are talented but ROCK & ROLL? c'mon please don't insult our intelligence.

I would love to see IRON MAIDEN inducted but that seems like a long shot considering metal bands are mostly snubbed unless you have the stature of Sabbath or Metallica. Todd Rundgren will also get the shaft, poor guy.
    And I don't see that Foo Fighters are that much influential? But agreed, the Go-Go may get in like the Bangles did but by a fluke.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    The Foo Fighters are atrocious, but they are a lock. I’m probably not voting, but I would vote for Kate Bush and Iron Maiden.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

To be clear, there are many acts who were shoo-ins as soon as they were eligible- Beatles/Stones/Dylan etc. levels of importance. Those are- clearly- getting fewer and further between, at least within rock music.

Still no King Crimson or Jethro Tull...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Still no King Crimson or Jethro Tull...
    I thought Tull was in already. The heavy metal wing.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I thought Tull was in already. The heavy metal wing.
    That was a grammy award.

Kate Bush! Yeah!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    The totally insufferable David Grohl will be in TWICE.

One hit song doesn't warrant being in the HoF. At least that's my opinion. What do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That was a grammy award.

Kate Bush! Yeah!!
    Guess I should have included the